• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plan: 2008 Heartland Gathering in Chicago Aug 8-10

Alex

Figure me plus 1 for Saturday's dinner and festivities.

Adding another veteran of previous Gatherings . . .

Updated list for the Saturday event:

=R= +2

NancyH +1

torakris

edsel

LuckyGirl +3

Alchemist

CaliPoutine +1*

Alex

tammylc

jesteinf +1

nsxtasy +1

Kerry Beal

Marmish +1

moosnsqrl +1

Osnav +1

prasantrin* +1*

tino27 +1

Sam Iam +1

nr706 +1

hsm +1*

rockandroller +1

joiei

Jean Blanchard +1

newbie21

hjshorter

moreace01 +1

HOLLY_L

santo_grace +1

daniellewiley +1

-51- (47 definite, 4 probable)

Only 39 spots remain :cool:

=R=

Edited by ronnie_suburban (log)

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I know it's probably much too far in advance to ask this, but I'll ask, anyway.

About the Sunday brunch, how late morning is late morning? I only ask because if I'm in (I'm 75% sure we're going--it's just a matter of waiting for airfares from MSP to MDW/ORD to drop), I'd love to do brunch, but I want to hit the New Maxwell Street Market, too. I keep planning to go, but I never do, so if we're in Chicago again this year, I've got my heart set on going.

I know it's probably much too far in advance to ask this, but I'll ask, anyway.

About the Sunday brunch, how late morning is late morning?  I only ask because if I'm in (I'm 75% sure we're going--it's just a matter of waiting for airfares from MSP to MDW/ORD to drop), I'd love to do brunch, but I want to hit the New Maxwell Street Market, too.  I keep planning to go, but I never do, so if we're in Chicago again this year, I've got my heart set on going.

It's certainly not too early for you to ask but it is too early for me to answer :wink:

Either way, it sounds like you should plan to stay through Sunday afternoon since you'll need the morning for Maxwell Street, brunch or both. I hope to post some details about 'the Sunday plan' pretty soon.

please add me +1 for Saturday events and Sunday brunch.

Karen, I will add you to the Saturday list for now. Keep an eye on this thread for separate details about Sunday. That'll will be a separate list :smile:

Count me (1) in as a probable for Sat.

Done! :smile:

=R= +2

NancyH +1

torakris

edsel

LuckyGirl +3

Alchemist

CaliPoutine +1*

Alex

tammylc

jesteinf +1

nsxtasy +1

Kerry Beal

Marmish +1

moosnsqrl +1

Osnav +1

prasantrin* +1*

tino27 +1

Sam Iam +1

nr706 +1

hsm +1*

rockandroller +1

joiei

Jean Blanchard +1

newbie21

hjshorter

moreace01 +1

HOLLY_L

santo_grace +1

daniellewiley +1

kasw +1

dls*

-54- (49 definite, 5 probable)

XXXVI spots remain

=R=

Please add me for two

Mickey (my sweetheart) and I are definitely in for the dinner!

Duly noted!

=R= +2

NancyH +1

torakris

edsel

LuckyGirl +3

Alchemist

CaliPoutine +1*

Alex

tammylc

jesteinf +1

nsxtasy +1

Kerry Beal

Marmish +1

moosnsqrl +1

Osnav +1

prasantrin* +1*

tino27 +1

Sam Iam +1

nr706 +1

hsm +1*

rockandroller +1

joiei

Jean Blanchard +1

newbie21

hjshorter

moreace01 +1

HOLLY_L

santo_grace +1

daniellewiley +1

kasw +1

dls*

nyokie6 +1

Nina C. +1

LAZ +1

-60- (55 definite, 5 probable)

30 spots remain

=R=

Ronnie, please add Lou and me for Saturday.

You got it! :smile:

=R= +2

NancyH +1

torakris

edsel

LuckyGirl +3

Alchemist

CaliPoutine +1*

Alex

tammylc

jesteinf +1

nsxtasy +1

Kerry Beal

Marmish +1

moosnsqrl +1

Osnav +1

prasantrin* +1*

tino27 +1

Sam Iam +1

nr706 +1

hsm +1*

rockandroller +1

joiei

Jean Blanchard +1

newbie21

hjshorter

moreace01 +1

HOLLY_L

santo_grace +1

daniellewiley +1

kasw +1

dls*

nyokie6 +1

Nina C. +1

LAZ +1

maggiethecat +1

-62- (57 definite, 5 probable)

28 spots remain

=R=

Prasantrin has encouraged my alter-ego Heather Duster to make a cameo appearance at the Heartland Gathering, perhaps as hostess and official airport greeter.

Not wanting to upstage anyone (or make the other women guests jealous), I thought I'd field opinions from Moosnsqrl, hjshorter and the rest of the guest list. Should we have an impromptu Ladies Who Lunch gathering or evening outing?

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

Prasantrin has encouraged my alter-ego Heather Duster to make a cameo appearance at the Heartland Gathering, perhaps as hostess and official airport greeter.

Not wanting to upstage anyone (or make the other women guests jealous), I thought I'd field opinions from Moosnsqrl, hjshorter and the rest of the guest list.  Should we have an impromptu Ladies Who Lunch gathering or evening outing?

Hey! I initially only asked for fishnets! But if you're going to go there, you may as well go all the way. Just remember, you don't want to scare the children.

Not wanting to upstage anyone (or make the other women guests jealous), I thought I'd field opinions from Moosnsqrl, hjshorter and the rest of the guest list.  Should we have an impromptu Ladies Who Lunch gathering or evening outing?

Like you and Heather, I am very secure in my womanhood, so no threat perceived here. Knock your bad self out, Fress - er, Heather.

Funny. . .an old beau of mine's family always made a contest of donning costumes when they picked people up for family occasions. It was a hoot - the opposite of holding up a sign with the arrivee's name on it.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Heartland Gathering Main Event - Details and Sign-up

Saturday's Group Meal Event - Capacity is limited to 90 people

This event will take place on Saturday August 9, 2008

Immanuel Lutheran Church

616 Lake St

Evanston, IL 60201

(847) 864-4464

The cost for this event will be $30 per person attending.  This all-inclusive fee will cover the following:

Food and beverage shopping/consumption for Saturday evening's meal

Rental and lockup charge at Immanuel Lutheran Church (we are being charged a very friendly rate of $600 for all day use of their kitchen and dining facilities)

Any surplus funds will be donated to the eGullet Society.

The day will begin with shopping at the nearby Evanston Farmers' Market, which is one of the top markets in all of Chicagoland.  As we've done in previous years, we'll meet at the market at a pre-determined time on Saturday morning (probably around 9 am CT), where money aggregated from the aforementioned fees will be distributed to attendees to shop for the dish(es) they choose to create for the meal.  After shopping, we'll stow our purchases where they'll be safe and later in the day, we'll prep and create a meal for ourselves, after which we'll clean the facility and return it to the condition in which we took it over.

Please post below if you plan to attend this specific event and if so, how many will be in your party.

Thanks!

=R=

I'm in for this and for the Friday stuff...maybe the rest, depends, but definitely that.

=R= +2

NancyH +1

torakris

edsel

LuckyGirl +3

Alchemist

CaliPoutine +1*

Alex

tammylc

jesteinf +1

nsxtasy +1

Kerry Beal

Marmish +1

moosnsqrl +1

Osnav +1

prasantrin* +1*

tino27 +1

Sam Iam +1

nr706 +1

hsm +1*

rockandroller +1

joiei

Jean Blanchard +1

newbie21

hjshorter

moreace01 +1

HOLLY_L

santo_grace +1

daniellewiley +1

kasw +1

dls*

nyokie6 +1

Nina C. +1

LAZ +1

maggiethecat +1

Elrushbo

-63- (58 definite, 5 probable)

27 spots remain :smile:

=R=

Yikes! I am glad that I checked in on you all :biggrin: today. Hearty greetings to you all... Dance and I had such a fabulous time meeting everyone in Cleveland last Summer that we would like to be included in Saturday and most likely whatever else that we can cram in durring that whole weekend. You Heartland folks know how to eat and have fun. Hopefully, there is some quality teas in Chicago to be had. If not, we would be happy to bring some of ours along to share. Also, we can transport some fresh dead fish from the PNW if anyone is interested. Please let us in... Cheers, Connie aka white lotus :rolleyes:

Yikes! I am glad that I checked in on you all :biggrin: today.  Hearty greetings to you all... Dance and I had such a fabulous time meeting everyone in Cleveland last Summer that we would like to be included in Saturday and most likely whatever else that we can cram in durring that whole weekend.  You Heartland folks know how to eat and have fun.  Hopefully, there is some quality teas in Chicago to be had.  If not, we would be happy to bring some of ours along to share.  Also, we can transport some fresh dead fish from the PNW if anyone is interested.  Please let us in...  Cheers, Connie aka white lotus  :rolleyes:

In Evanston, home of Saturday's activities:

Dream About Tea

Argo Tea

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

In Evanston, home of Saturday's activities:

Dream About Tea

Argo Tea

Both of these are located a couple blocks south of the farmer's market and a couple blocks north of the church where the heartland gathering will take place, so they are easily walkable.

Dream about Tea is a single location owned by the couple who manage it (and are usually there, and happy to discuss tea with you). Argo Tea is a chain in the Chicago area.

Yikes! I am glad that I checked in on you all :biggrin: today.  Hearty greetings to you all... Dance and I had such a fabulous time meeting everyone in Cleveland last Summer that we would like to be included in Saturday and most likely whatever else that we can cram in durring that whole weekend.  You Heartland folks know how to eat and have fun.  Hopefully, there is some quality teas in Chicago to be had.  If not, we would be happy to bring some of ours along to share.  Also, we can transport some fresh dead fish from the PNW if anyone is interested.  Please let us in...  Cheers, Connie aka white lotus  :rolleyes:

Connie,

It will be wonderful to see you and Dance again!

If it is the same fresh dead fish as last year, I am sure we can do something with it! :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Can you please put me down as 1 for all (and all for 1?!).

Connie,

It will be wonderful to see you and Dance again!

I'll second that! So glad to hear that you'll be joining us in Chicago.

I'll third that . . . :smile:

A quick reminder that for now, I'm only listing attendees for Saturday's event. For those of you who plan to attend other events over the weekend, stay tuned to this thread for additional information and sign-up instructions.

=R= +2

NancyH +1

torakris

edsel

LuckyGirl +3

Alchemist

CaliPoutine +1*

Alex

tammylc

jesteinf +1

nsxtasy +1

Kerry Beal

Marmish +1

moosnsqrl +1

Osnav +1

prasantrin* +1*

tino27 +1

Sam Iam +1

nr706 +1

hsm +1*

rockandroller +1

joiei

Jean Blanchard +1

newbie21

hjshorter

moreace01 +1

HOLLY_L

santo_grace +1

daniellewiley +1

kasw +1

dls*

nyokie6 +1

Nina C. +1

LAZ +1

maggiethecat +1

Elrushbo

Darcie B

white lotus +1

-66- (61 definite, 5 probable)

A mere 2-dozen spots remain . . .

=R=

I'm glad I got a chance to hear about this from Alex! I'm ready for August now!

...actually, I've been ready for august since about november...stupid Michigan winters...

Torren O'Haire - Private Chef, FMSC Tablemaster, Culinary Scholar

"life is a combination of magic and pasta"

-F. Fellini

"We should never lose sight of a beautifully conceived meal."

-J. Child