• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plan: 2008 Heartland Gathering in Chicago Aug 8-10

Alex

Please put me down for 4 total bodies (me + 1, Osnav + 1) and I will manage from there.

Thanks - it won't be a thankless job (we'll all say 'thanks') but it won't pay as well as your day job (at least I HOPE your day job pays better :biggrin:)

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Ronnie -- Put me down for Saturday's dinner event +1.

In general, we'll talk more about the bread workshop after the initial dust settles a bit. I'm more than happy to provide 100% of the bread needed for the dinner, and I'm more than happy to run a workshop to teach other eGulleter's about the ins and outs of bread, but it will require a little extra coordination on my part to make it happen. I'll post more soon.

Just to keep the posts to this thread at a minimum, PM me if you'd be interested in participating in a bread workshop on that Friday. That way I can gauge how big of a kitchen we'll need.

Tino27

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

btw, can you add Kerry to the Saturday night event?  I know for sure she's coming!!

In for 2

Please put me down for 4 total bodies (me + 1, Osnav + 1) and I will manage from there. 

Please add me+1 for now.

Ronnie -- Put me down for Saturday's dinner event +1.

Everything for the entire weekend. Two of us.

Dayum!!! This thang is going to be big! :cool:

Updated list for Saturday's main event:

=R= +2

NancyH +1

torakris

edsel

LuckyGirl +3

Alchemist

CaliPoutine +1*

Alex

tammylc

jesteinf +1

nsxtasy +1

Kerry Beal

Marmish +1

moosnsqrl +1

Osnav +1

prasantrin* +1*

tino27 +1

Sam Iam +1

-33- (30 definite, 3 probable)

Only 57 spots remain :wink:

=R=

Edited by ronnie_suburban (log)

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Is there public transporation to Evanston from downtown?( assuming we choose to stay downtown).

Josh mentioned the el, which can take anywhere from 35 minutes (in commuting times, when you can take one train all the way) to 50-70 minutes at other times (you have to change trains at Howard, so waiting times can vary). There is also a Metra commuter train that runs more or less hourly from the west side of the Loop to Evanston (Davis St) in about 20 minutes. Josh also mentioned cabs, which will take about 25 minutes in non-commuting times; I'm guessing $25 or so with tip.

You might want to see the full, detailed schedule of activities and venues, once it's finalized, before deciding where to stay. While downtown Chicago has the most hotels, there may be other properties that are more convenient to the event venues.

We're( Kerry Beal) and I are probably going to take the train to Chicago from Port Huron so we won't have a car.  Do you think we'll be ok for the long weekend without one?

Well, the other venues have not been specified yet, so it's hard to say for sure. The Chicago area has excellent public transportation that goes pretty much everywhere; however, it can take longer to get places than driving, particularly on weekends and at off hours.

My guess is that you'll do okay without a car. Not only is public transportation an option, but (based on observation at last year's gathering) there are often plenty of other attendees who will be happy to give you rides from one venue to another.

Adding in my 2¢, I hardly ever take my car to Chicago and I always do just fine. The Farmers' Market and the church are walking distance from the Davis station (El or Metra). Knowing Ronnie, I suspect that most other venues and activities will be reasonably close to public transportation. Or, like nsxtasy, I also imagine that between Chicagoland residents and out-of-towners who drove in, there'll be plenty of rides available.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Adding in my 2¢, I hardly ever take my car to Chicago and I always do just fine. The Farmers' Market and the church are walking distance from the Davis station (El or Metra). Knowing Ronnie, I suspect that most other venues and activities will be reasonably close to public transportation. Or, like nsxtasy, I also imagine that between Chicagoland residents and out-of-towners who drove in, there'll be plenty of rides available.

I'm making it a priority to keep the ground transit requirements during the Gathering as easy and minimal as possible. In fact, one of the reasons Evanston was chosen for the Saturday event is that is very convenient to public transportation (and that it offers many other great resources, too). Without compromising on our dining destinations, geography is an important consideration in the planning. Chicago is a big town and happily, there are great, distinctive places in just about every neighborhood. That said, things are not always going to be right next door to each other.

But, I'll do my very best to make sure that each of our destinations is near reliable transit conduits. Having been a visitor who has received plenty of rides from the locals at previous Gatherings, I look forward to returning the favor, as do my fellow Chicagolanders, I'm sure. We also have the benefit of lead time, which can only help matters. Basically, I think the few transportation issues which might pop will be relatively manageable, and I'll do my best to keep it that way.

=R=

What's the policy on kids? We may try and coordinate this with some college visits (my kids are not little and know their way around the kitchen and even know how to wash dishes!).

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Put me down for one for Saturday's fabulous feeding and for the dinner on Friday.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

What's the policy on kids?  We may try and coordinate this with some college visits (my kids are not little and know their way around the kitchen and even know how to wash dishes!).

I love romping with the eGullet munchkins--Ronnie's son Lucas liked to tackle me at will when we partied in Highland Park.

A large supply of whoopee cushions should keep the little ones (and me!) occupied.

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

What's the policy on kids?  We may try and coordinate this with some college visits (my kids are not little and know their way around the kitchen and even know how to wash dishes!).

For the dinner, kids are very much welcome. For the other events, it will just depend on the age of the child and the venue of the event. Something tells me most 8 year olds wouldn't enjoy a 3 hour tasting at Alinea (for example).

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

What's the policy on kids?

For the dinner, kids are very much welcome. For the other events, it will just depend on the age of the child and the venue of the event. Something tells me most 8 year olds wouldn't enjoy a 3 hour tasting at Alinea (for example).

The policy on kids is that we only cook the naughty ones :wink:

In all seriousnness, kids are welcome. My son, who is 11, will probably be at all the events. He's a pretty experienced restaurant-goer who's had meals at many 'grown-up' restaurants over the years, including some longer tasting menus at Schwa and Moto. In all such cases, he's eagerly wanted to go to the restaurants and has asked to join us. We've never dragged him anywhere he didn't want to go. So, as long as the kid in question can handle the specific event, it's no problem. Obviously, the burden in these situations, if there is one, will fall on the parent in question. I'd hate to bring my kid along if he weren't interested and have him be miserable, because then I'd be miserable, too.

=R=

Can I be double zen (two with everything?)

1 for sure, 1 more possible.

In for Saturday, for 2.

Put me down for one for Saturday's fabulous feeding . . .

2 more for Saturday . . .

I'm in and looking forward to it!!

In for Saturday.

Can you add me for Saturday +1?

Updated list:

=R= +2

NancyH +1

torakris

edsel

LuckyGirl +3

Alchemist

CaliPoutine +1*