• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plan: 2008 Heartland Gathering in Chicago Aug 8-10

Alex

We're available for either, although the first weekend of August would be our first choice. Either would work.

We'll be returning from KL, off to Portland, and leaving for Arcachon, and would love to make this an inbetweener!

Carpe Carp: Seize that fish!

Even though there's only a 50% chance I'll make it, can I vote for the weekend of the 8th?  The weekend of the 1st is a long weekend for many Canadians, so travel will be hell-ish going to and from the US, especially for those who will be driving.

But since I'll be on holidays, either of those weekeends would work.

Yeah Rona! I really hope you can make it. This weekend just keeps getting better and better!

I was just about to post the same sentiment - I would love to meet you in person Prasantrin!

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

Earlier today, I spoke to my contact at the prospective Saturday venue and she assured me that both dates will be held for us until we make our choice. I plan to re-visit the location in the next couple of weeks and make sure it's suitable for us.

In the meantime, as Alex posted above, based on posts here, it looks like August 8-10 are the dates preferred by most people who actually have a preference. I'll give it a couple more days but unless that trend changes, we'll probably end up doing this August 8-10, with the big, collective meal being on Saturday August, 9 -- that's only 31 weeks from today! :biggrin:

More soonish,

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Even though there's only a 50% chance I'll make it, can I vote for the weekend of the 8th?  The weekend of the 1st is a long weekend for many Canadians, so travel will be hell-ish going to and from the US, especially for those who will be driving.

But since I'll be on holidays, either of those weekeends would work.

Yeah Rona! I really hope you can make it. This weekend just keeps getting better and better!

I was just about to post the same sentiment - I would love to meet you in person Prasantrin!

Me too!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok folks, it's "official." The dates for the Gathering will be August 8-10, with some additional "bonus" events likely to be planned/taking place on either side of that weekend.

Again, I'm going to scout the prospective kitchen location for the big Saturday meal this coming Friday. I'll report back here with some additional details shortly thereafter.

Stay tuned . . .

=R=

It's on the calendar - and thinking about it drives away some of the chill!

Ronnie, I'm curious which market we might go to, having been to a few of the small-ish ones in the hinterlands. I guess that might become clear when you verify the Saturday location and we start figuring out what part of Chicagoland we will descend upon?

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I have also marked off those dates, and am very excited to spend a weekend eating, and drinking. Wait, wait, let’s be honest, reveling in gluttony and debauchery with a group of professional hedonists.

Head Intoxologist, The Violet Hour

Toby Maloney

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

I guess that might become clear when you verify the Saturday location and we start figuring out what part of Chicagoland we will descend upon?

You are correct. I hope to provide much more detailed information about the prospective venue -- and the surrounding area -- by sometime tomorrow.

That said, it's probably worth pointing out that folks are free to shop wherever they like as it pertains to the Saturday group meal. If you have a favorite spot in town that isn't near where the event ends up being held, that doesn't necessarily preclude you from shopping there. In fact, even if the Saturday meal does happen at the prospective venue, there isn't going to be one nearby, central hub where absolutely everything necessary for the meal can be procured. At some point, we'll probably need some "away" teams, too.

Stay tuned . . . :wink:

=R=

So what do you want to learn with chocolate this year?

How to eats lots of it and not gain weight?

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I have never been to Chicago so whatever is decided, then I am up for it. So long as I have a good google map to get around.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

First, I'd like to thank you all for coming to town for my birthday weekend and throwing such a spectacular party in my honor. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Second, I'd also like to offer Ronnie my help from the far westside of the city.

Edited by Marmish (log)

I haven't been to an e-Gullet Chicago event since I moved away from Chi-town to Portland, OR three years ago. I *will* however be flying back for this one so count me in.

I'm very much looking forward to it!

Cat in Portland

cat lancaster

catchi@ix.netcom.com

Portland, OR

Ronnie, any news on the potential venue you checked out on Friday?

I'm glad you asked :wink:

The venue is excellent and would definitely work very well for us. However, it was a "pinch" less than perfect (for a few reasons that are not worth getting into here).

I have an appointment to see another space this coming Thursday and will keep everyone updated.

=R=

:cool:

Listening carefully...I live about three (3) blocks from the Evanston Farmers' Market and about six (6) blocks from the Evanston outlet of Whole Foods, and one half block from First Evanston Liquors. All I need is Fresser and the 'Mobile, and there's almost nothing I can't help do in the way of provisioning.

Listening with a biiiiiiig grin on my face --

:biggrin:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

:cool:

Listening carefully...I live about three (3) blocks from the Evanston Farmers' Market and about six (6) blocks from the Evanston outlet of Whole Foods, and one half block from First Evanston Liquors.  All I need is Fresser and the 'Mobile, and there's almost nothing I can't help do in the way of provisioning.

:biggrin:

My trusty Fressermobile is at your service, Lady T!

Maybe I should rename it the Heartland Shuttle.

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

That said, it's probably worth pointing out that folks are free to shop wherever they like as it pertains to the Saturday group meal.  If you have a favorite spot in town that isn't near where the event ends up being held, that doesn't necessarily preclude you from shopping there.  In fact, even if the Saturday meal does happen at the prospective venue, there isn't going to be one nearby, central hub where absolutely everything necessary for the meal can be procured.  At some point, we'll probably need some "away" teams, too.

Stay tuned . . . :wink:

=R=

This is why I always feel like I spend the entire time in the car when I'm in Chicago! :hmmm: Maybe Fresser can retro-fit his mobile to burn used french fry oil. In our crowd, that could almost close the loop and make us self-sufficient.

I'll volunteer Osnav to drive into Sam's and come back with cases of wine - gratis. And I'm sure you, being the good host, will drag yourself over to Zaire's.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Prospect #2 is an excellent prospect. I went to see it today and I think it would be a great venue for us. It's definitely more 'deluxe' than Prospect #1 but it's likely to cost a bit more, too. The proprietors are putting together a proposal, which they said they'd submit to me by early next week.

Several people have indicated that they would like to lead culinary workshops/demos during the Gathering (one of those suggestions appeared right here on this thread!). Since it's very likely that the workshops/demos will take place on Saturday afternoon, I'm doing my best to secure a venue which can reasonably accomodate all of the potential workshops that have been offered, plus all the aspects of our group meal. And on that note, if anyone here has interest in leading a demo (and you haven't already let me know or posted about it here), please shoot me a pm with a brief description of what you'd like to do.

I'll be back with more information, asap :smile:

=R=