• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Great Disaster Game

gfron1

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at the mention of RLB.

Her genoise recipe is an horror--I made it three times, and I almost swore off making genoise because I couldn't get it right.

But I like her buttercream recipes, and her yellow cake (all-butter yellow downy cake or something like that) is pretty good.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

It's funny, I've never had one of hers fail for me. I love the genoise. Tepee I think you should try mixing the batter for the full length of time, that's one of the reasons she uses her method because it doesn't become tough if it is overmixed.

• 1 year later...

This thread cracks me up so I'm reviving it with a little story. I finally have an employee who I trust enough to give my Monday prep to so I can take the day off. I fully own that I didn't prepare her well enough to step into my recipes, in my kitchen, to do things my way. Of the three tasks I gave her, all three were literally disasters - she was in tears when I came in to do some quick king cake decorating.

The most notable disaster was the brownies. I make these almost every day - they are my best selling baked good. The recipe is crystal clear...if you know what I'm talking about. The first step involves melting 75% Chocoa (my cheapest chocolate) into melted butter. My able assistant somehow read that as a pound of cocoa powder instead of the brand Chocoa. I have never seen brownies so dark before and so...well...pastey. That was a costly mistake - she used nearly a pound of my Valrhona powder. While she was crying and heading out the door, I tried to reassure her, and promised I would come in next Monday so we could do some more training.