• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Great Disaster Game

gfron1

Inspired by what I woke up to this morning I thought I'd begin a new game...Name that Disaster! There will be no rules (other than the Membership Agreement). Just post a picture of your disaster and see who can figure out what happened.

I'll begin:

Clues

1. This happened overnight

2. There are many visual clues in the picture besides the obvious

3. Before I saw this mess, I thought one of my dogs had made a mess

(More clues will be added as needed)

gallery_41282_4708_71966.jpg

gallery_41282_4708_4852.jpg

...What happened!?

Questions are allowed and remember...do not try this at home.

:laugh: This is awesome!

Okay, I can only contribute that there is a quantity of liquid under the mistake... which looks to me like graham cracker-based, but I know next to nothing about baking.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

RESPONSES:

1. I followed the recipe up until the disaster, so the use of the blender was called for.

2. I posted in the more general Cooking forum because this disaster fits best here.

BONUS:

Which eGullet member can I blame for my disaster. More clues to come later.

Alcohol was only involved in that it led to me not finishing this project on schedule last night.

The maltballs are waiting for their chemicals still...this is a 100% natural disaster.

hummingbirdkiss is close but not quite...

hmmmm soda....milk.....it really does look like a dried out top of a float!

I dont know I dont know I dont know! but I can not wait to find out!!!!

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

You were chopping something up smaller and hydrating it, and it swelled rather more than you expected. I'd guess some kind of grain, but since you've shown palm sugar and talked about soy, I'm wondering if you were trying to make soy milk.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

We have a winner! I blame member tepee. I used Tepee's recipe for soya milk. Your explanation is not 100% correct however. (The plot thickens)

I followed the recipe of soaking my beans overnight, then yesterday put them in the blender to process. I was supposed to then pour the mixture into a cloth bag to squeeze the remaining milk and reprocess. I forgot to get cheese cloth, so I let it sit in my blender until this morning. But, before I went to bed I added my flavorings because...why not, even though the recipe says to put it in later. The reason I say your explanation is not 100% correct is that the expansion wasn't from the beans - that expansion was 99% complete - this was a gas that was put off (hence the smell of dog mess), which caused the foam. I think the gas interacted with my sugar to make the foam solid enough to push the lid off.

Lastly, Kerry knows me too well...I was ultimately going to turn this into sodium alginate caviar and serve it on a melon scoop. Maybe I'll just do soy foam on melon :biggrin:

Congratulations - now...who is next?

I'm thinking the inevitable bacteria in your slurry went hogwildhappy when you added sugar to their protein soup. They grew, gassed, and the protein from the soy made the whole mess rather firm. Oh my.

Um, .... will you try again?

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

OMG I would have never known that was soy milk!! how funny I have never had that happen I have made tofu ..soy milk all kinds of soy ...

funny funny thanks I could not wait until my lunch to see what this was...

my life is so exciting!!!

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

OMG I would have never known that was soy milk!! how funny I have never had that happen I have made tofu ..soy milk all kinds of soy ...

[snip]

ditto! I'm in awe of the strength of the foam.

Not too late to insert a disclaimer of liability in the recipe, I hope?..."Do not be too creative with mixing up the steps in the recipe." Thanks, little bird, for pointing me to this hilarious thread.

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

Since I feel partly responsible for gfron1's disaster (NOT!), I shall post a disaster fresh from yesterday's baking. Ooooh.....do we get to pin the blame on somebody all the time? Ok...I blame it on the author of this book who has a very innovative method of mixing batter. Those who are prolific bakers will guess who the author is in an instant.

gallery_12248_4913_29372.jpg

I was about to trash it...but the family loved it and finished it by this morning. :rolleyes:

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

Bingo! That was to have been RLB's white chocolate whisper cake.

Sigh. I know the woman is a genius and all that, but I can get her technique right only half the time. I make sure I don't overmix...I even mix the batter shorter than the recommended counts. Foolproof it ain't! Butter was still cold to the touch and gave a bit of resistance when finger is pushed into it. Tks, choux!

Next! :smile:

Edit for typo errors.

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)