• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eGfoodblog: dividend

That produce looks gorgeous! (FWIW, one of the unofficial fringe benefits of working in Old Main is that I get to take home wonderful zucchini, enormous cucumbers, several different kinds of peppers and super fresh Jersey tomatoes all through the summer, thanks to the administrative assistant to the Associate Provost, who has a garden on her South Jersey property. And it's all free! But none of it is as colorful as those carrots, though the full-size tomatoes hold their own with yours; she doesn't grow cherry, grape or pear varieties).

But now I have to ask another question:

Everyone got one of those gorgeous sunflowers Rebecca was picking when I got to the farm:

gallery_28660_4896_60739.jpg

And your avatar is also a sunflower, of course. But you live in Missouri. I think.

The state line is not quite the divide it was back in the days of "Bleeding Kansas", but there are still some cross-border rivalries, Tigers-Jayhawks being one of them, and usually a Missourian has to have a good excuse to display the state flower of Kansas. My mom was a Jayhawk. What's yours?

Lunch was better:

gallery_28660_4896_47869.jpg

(I think I may have taken the worst picture ever here, but oh well.  It's actually a kind of neat looking building, with the radio spire on top.)  I love Winstead's - old fashioned steakburgers and diner ambiance, been around for over sixty years.  There are a few of them scattered around the Kansas City metro area, and I'm glad there's one close to my office.

That looks like the original location on Brush Creek^W^WEmmanuel Cleaver II Boulevard just east of the Plaza. Looks like they've retrofied it since I last set foot in it decades ago. (When I ate there, it was all chocolate brown plywood walls and acoustical tile ceilings--very 1970s coffee shop, IOW. I like this look much better.) Is this the original Winstead's?

The burgers look exactly like I remember them. Winstead's is a thin-patty establishment, but they're very good thin patties, and certainly worthy of the praise Calvin Trillin lavished on them (he wrote that this place served the world's best hamburger in Life magazine sometime around 1973).

(Edited to remove the photo of the Cherry Diet Coke -- I had meant to leave the photo of the burger in.)

Edited by MarketStEl (log)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I live about an hour north of Wichita and I don't get to Kansas City very often, so I'm enjoying this!

Hutchinson? Salina? Wherever, welcome aboard

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I live about an hour north of Wichita and I don't get to Kansas City very often, so I'm enjoying this!

Hutchinson? Salina? Wherever, welcome aboard

About a mile north of Halstead.

Thanks for the welcome!

Resident historian reporting for duty...

Um, I think Sandy means non-resident historian . . . :laugh:

Seriously, I'm glad the expats are weighing in because I am certainly not a native. Although I did just realize today, over lunch, that I have now called the KC Metro my home longer than my place of birth or the place I went to college for, um, 14 years. Yikes.

The same can be said for me and Philadelphia (25 years) compared with Kansas City (18). But as I've said a million times, I wouldn't trade growing up in Kansas City for growing up anywhere else in the United States.

The pictures dividend has shared with you all fail to give you any idea just how green Kansas City is. The people who bequeathed the city one of the nation's loveliest park and boulevard systems in the 1880s -- Kansas City Star founder William Rockhill Nelson, who campaigned hard for parks and other municipal improvements in the paper's pages, chief among them -- left it an irreplaceable, yet living, gem that millions have enjoyed over the decades since.

Until I laid eyes on Seattle, I never thought I'd see another city that green.

I am not local nor am I native.  But I do love spending time in Kansas City.  Both of them, and all three if you throw in the northland.  I do need to explore more of the east side of the metro at some time. 

I have enjoyed reading this blog, seeking out new places to spend my hard earned (at least to me) monies and my time. 

Rock on, sweet river, rock on.

There are those who argue that the Northland is a city unto itself. But aside from the cities of North Kansas City, Platte City, Claycomo, Liberty, Excelsior Springs, Parkville, Riverside, Lake Waukomis, Weston and Gladstone,* the villages of Glenaire and Avondale, and the four villages on Gladstone's southern border collectively known as the Oaks, the incorporated part of the Northland is all legally part of the City of Kansas City, Missouri, whose 316 square miles make it one of the country's largest in land area.

*I've probably forgotten or left out a few other municipalities in Clay and Platte counties.

And your avatar is also a sunflower, of course.  But you live in Missouri. I think.

The state line is not quite the divide it was back in the days of "Bleeding Kansas", but there are still some cross-border rivalries, Tigers-Jayhawks being one of them, and usually a Missourian has to have a good excuse to display the state flower of Kansas.  My mom was a Jayhawk.  What's yours?

Well, let's see. I grew up firmly planted in the Kansas suburb of Johnson County. This presents it's own set of locale-based rivalries, since Johnson County is the most affluent county in the metro by far. This causes a lot of perception of wealth-based snobbery, and when I started working up north, I heard a lot of jokes about "Johnson County princesses" and "I could never live in a soulless suburb." My parents grew up about a half mile from each other in Wyandotte county, just a little west of state line, and the house my grandmother lives in is a stone's throw from State Line Road. She was originally from the Hyde Park neighborhood, and attended Westport High School, not a mile from where I live now. My parents moved to their current home when I was three, because the school district is excellent.

I want to college in Lawrence at the University of Kansas, so I am, quite literally, a Jayhawk. (You want to talk about green - that is one gorgeous campus, full of big open green lawns, and a pond flanked by sloping hills in the center.)

So you see, I have deep roots on both sides of the state line. I've had a chance to work all over the metro - out of the Plaza along Blue Parkway, up north near Parkville, and now in the Northland.

I actually have a sunflower tattoo that looks very much like my avater. I got it done when I visited my one of my childhood best friend who is transplanted to Rochester, NY. She has a matching one. I think (and the number of KC expats in this thread help to prove) that this is an area of the country that tugs at you and never fully lets you go. My dad calls it "the best kept secret in the country."

That looks like the original location on Brush Creek^W^WEmmanuel Cleaver II Boulevard just east of the Plaza.  Looks like they've retrofied it since I last set foot in it decades ago.  (When I ate there, it was all chocolate brown plywood walls and acoustical tile ceilings--very 1970s coffee shop, IOW.  I like this look much better.)  Is this the original Winstead's?

The original is indeed the one just off the Plaza. I was happy to find one up north with all the charm of the original.

The pictures dividend has shared with you all fail to give you any idea just how green Kansas City is. The people who bequeathed the city one of the nation's loveliest park and boulevard systems in the 1880s -- Kansas City Star founder William Rockhill Nelson, who campaigned hard for parks and other municipal improvements in the paper's pages, chief among them -- left it an irreplaceable, yet living, gem that millions have enjoyed over the decades since.

This is absolutely true. The Kansas City metro area is full of parks and open green spaces. I'm going down to the Plaza in a bit to a couple of my favorite specialty stores, and I'll swing by and take some pictures of the Nelson Atkins Museum and the surrounding parks, to try to give some idea.

our original vacation plans included Kansas city but now its only the jersey shore

This obviously necassitates a second vacation sometimes soon.

"Nothing you could cook will ever be as good as the $2.99 all-you-can-eat pizza buffet." - my EX (wonder why he's an ex?)

My eGfoodblog: My corner of the Midwest

Before I head out to do a little shopping, I'd like to invite you guys into my kitchen.

I live on the third floor of one of the many big, rambling houses that have been converted into apartments. My house dates back to the 1920's. To get to my apartment, you climb two flights of stairs, and open my door onto another steep set of stairs. Because of the narrow, steep stairs, and the fact that at the top you have to turn almost 180 degres into the apartment itself (the stairs come up on the other side of the wall in this first picture), alot of standard sized things simply won't fit up here. Like a queen sized bed, or full sized kitchen appliances.

My is kitchen narrow and small, with no built in counter space at all:

gallery_28660_4896_33790.jpggallery_28660_4896_15020.jpg

The little portable dishwasher with the cutting board on top is my only usable counter space. I use the table for prep when I'm doing something that requires more room.

The fridge is also smaller and narrower than normal:

gallery_28660_4896_121000.jpggallery_28660_4896_190274.jpg

Right now the fridge is full of a backlog of produce, and condiments, and I barely have room to store some ice, tortillas, bread, and frozen fruits and veggies up above. This is actually a new fridge that I don't have to defrost, like the last one. That was a pain.

I try to make good use of the little space that I have. The cabinets above the stove are crammed full:

gallery_28660_4896_276712.jpggallery_28660_4896_166485.jpg

Mostly spices, oils, vinegars and bulk rice, beans, and grains, and assorted things like sauces and peanut butter. I built my spice collection with the help of some Penzey's gift certificates (I love the fact that we have a physical store here.)

Underneath the one cabinet I have for dishes is my set of canisters:

gallery_28660_4896_24032.jpg

Various kinds of flours, salts, and coffee, all neatly labeled. These canisters were in my parents' kitchen growing up, hence the sort of retro colors. And of course, my liquor shelf. My everyday drink of choice is Jack Daniels with a little water.

Even though the kitchen itself is small, I've been outfitting it with the important stuff:

gallery_28660_4896_53148.jpg

Hanging set of All Clad, nice pot rack suspended by tacky yellow bicycle hooks. It adds a little bit of kitsch, I think.

gallery_28660_4896_152867.jpg

Pair of KitchenAids and Oster blender The stand mixer's name is Lady Mixalot. Yes, you can laugh at that. I have the Artisan series, partly because I love the gorgeous cobalt blue. I've been abusing this thing heavily for several years now and it has yet to let me down.

Despite spending lots of money on kitchen equipment, I tend to be pretty thrifty in other areas. In that vein, I converted an old computer desk into a microwave cart / kitchen storage:gallery_28660_4896_193535.jpg

And my mom's old china cabinet into a canning station:

gallery_28660_4896_144290.jpg

The drawers and shelves bellow are full of glass jars, lids, rings, and the necassary tools like a jar lifters and funnels. I'm really pleased with how well this works.

All the shelves in my pantry come from "large item pick up day" in my parents' neighborhood. The city comes around twice a year to haul away heavy items for free, and the night before is a great night to go treasure hunting.

gallery_28660_4896_66823.jpg

I don't know what I would do without this pantry. Not only do I use it to store bulk things from Costco, random food overflow, and cleaning supplies, but the other half of it stores bicycle racks and scuba diving equipment.

Lastly, here's my little peice of rooftop paradise:

gallery_28660_4896_62381.jpg

Despite being two stories up and semi dangerous, this is one of my favorite things about my apartment.

So that's my cooking and eating space. None of the walls meet at right angles and there's barely any space. But I've lived here for almost three years, and I've really learned what is important in a kitchen, and what is merely pretty but superfluous. I also now know that I can't live with a gas stove.

"Nothing you could cook will ever be as good as the $2.99 all-you-can-eat pizza buffet." - my EX (wonder why he's an ex?)

So about noon I head down to the cafeteria, and, as expected when we have a guest chef, the line is out the door.  Worth the wait though, to have Chef Chebaro put together a delicious gyro plate.

gallery_28660_4896_35693.jpg

gallery_28660_4896_11198.jpg

Eaten, of course, back at my desk.  In addition to the gyro, there was salad, pita with hummus and chili sauce, and saffron rice with garlic sauce.  All for right around $7.  Not bad for not having to leave the building.

Too funny (and a little scary)...when I first saw this picture I thought it was taken at the Sprint Campus where I have enjoyed many of those same Gyro plates from the guest chef. I think he needs to print up some "Aramark Tour 2007" t-shirts. :laugh:

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

Just discovered this lovely chatty, breezy blog. I was a Midwesterner for the first 30 years of my life, and still am at heart.

I love to dig in the dirt and watch things grow, but am not able to do much anymore so appreciate sharing vicariously your gardening/produce adventures.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

Good morning!  I'll be your food blogger for the week.  I seem to be unknown enough that the only thing you guys guessed correctly from my teaser photos was the city, so I hope you're not too disappointed. 

Hey! Not fair! I can only remember where people live if they put it in their info, but I know you! (Not personally, but in an internet way :raz: )

I'm enjoying your blog. I loved the pictures from the farm. I'd love to have something like that available to me, but CSAs don't exist in Japan (though I can buy stuff from the very small farm near my workplace) and in Winnipeg, they're more for larger families than for single people (and are quite expensive, too).

Looking forward to seeing more barbecue! That's another thing that's hard for me to get!

Even though the kitchen itself is small, I've been outfitting it with the important stuff:

gallery_28660_4896_53148.jpg

Hanging set of All Clad, nice pot rack suspended by tacky yellow bicycle hooks.  It adds a little bit of kitsch, I think.

I like the pic with the bike hooks, and the series of discovery holes where you went stud hunting. Have you ever estimated how much total weight those two yellow guys are holding up?

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

I've really learned what is important in a kitchen, and what is merely pretty but superfluous. I also now know that I can't live with a gas stove.

Why not? :huh:

Yeah, I meant can't live without a gas stove. I am bad at proofreading sometimes.

I like the pic with the bike hooks, and the series of discovery holes where you went stud hunting. Have you ever estimated how much total weight those two yellow guys are holding up?

That sounds like a fun social activity! :laugh:

I went down to the Plaza yesterday afternoon. There are some people who like to pronounce it with "Plaaaaaaaaaahza" with a snobbish kind of tone, because of the abundane of upscale stores and fancy restaurants. I may or may not be one them. I go for the specialty food and kitchen stores, and the beautiful scenery.

But first, I was hungry. I need pizza.

gallery_28660_4896_104222.jpg

This is my favorite place to get pizza. Papa Kenos is a funky, college town style pizza shop with giant gourmet slices.

gallery_28660_4896_69786.jpg

When I say giant, I mean giant. I see people carrying out entire pies that seriously look too big to fit through a door.

Lots of good specialty slices on the menu, all cooked to order in their extremely hot deck ovens:

gallery_28660_4896_24706.jpg

My favorite being the Kid Keno. But today I was in the mood for pepperoni with pesto sauce instead of the usual tomato sauce. I was informed that would take about twenty minutes, so I ordered some breadsticks with cheese and roasted garlic to tide me over. They threw those in for free since the slice would take longer than usual.

gallery_28660_4896_68489.jpg

Mmmm, roasted garlic. I like to dip these in a mixture of jalapeno steeped olive oil and parmesan cheese.

gallery_28660_4896_38823.jpg

And the giant, gooey, burn-your-mouth hot slice.

Between the immense quantities of roasted garlic, and the pesto sauce, I'm pretty glad I was dining alone. I probably could have killed someone with my garlic breath.

Fortified, I headed for the Plaza. As you turn off Main Street and into the Plaza, you pass the J.C. Nichols Fountain:

gallery_28660_4896_39090.jpg

This is a popular place to hang out, sit with a date, and absorb some the beautiful ambiance of this corner of town.

(If you were to look pretty much directly behind this picture, you'd see the original Winstead's.)

Kansas City is a sister city of Seville, Spain, and thus you see a lot of Spanish style architecture, and alot of fountains. There are different places on the Plaza where you can take walking fountain/architecture tours, which are kind of fun to do.

Random plaza pictures (because it's a pretty place to spend an afternoon):

gallery_28660_4896_110749.jpggallery_28660_4896_95757.jpg

I haven't yet had a chance to eat at Starker's, but it's on my list. I hear very good things.

gallery_28660_4896_38078.jpggallery_28660_4896_1481.jpg

gallery_28660_4896_66747.jpggallery_28660_4896_18445.jpg

gallery_28660_4896_34694.jpg

A fun thing to do on a first date is to come down here and just window shop. It's an easy way to get to know someone, with excuse to see if you share similar tastes in in important things like art, kitchen gadgets, furniture, coffee, gelato, and cheese.

gallery_28660_4896_272281.jpg

I headed for the Better Cheddar, one of my favorite places for impulse food purchasing. This place has hundreds of different kinds of cheeses from around the world, great signs explaining each of them, and almost all of them convienently cut into cubes for tasting. Plus teas, tapenades, wine, meats, and some pastas. I'm a sucker for this kind of store.

gallery_28660_4896_83445.jpg

I was only able to take one picture before inside before I was informed that the owner doesn't allow pictures. Oh well. I bought a chunk of Norwegian Gjetost, which is goat's milk cheese roasted until it carmelizes. It tastes like caremel crossed with cheese - what's not to love.

I also bought a grapefruit GUS:

gallery_28660_4896_56154.jpg

(inspired by this thread, and escaped to a bench across the street to drink it. It was indeed light and refreshing, and I plan to drink the rest of it with vodka in it.

Walking to my next destination, I passed a row of expensive restaurants:

gallery_28660_4896_161468.jpg

Including the Melting Pot, a fondue restaurant that I hear is wonderfully romantic. I always hear it mentioned in the context of either prom dates or marriage proposals. Next door is Kona Grill, a sort of pan asian place. All I know is that on a Friday or Saturday night, it's chock full of pretty girls in fancy outfits drinking $10 cocktails (that's expensive for Kansas City), who look like they're trying to attract a rich husband. Not really my scene. I much prefer the laid back bars just up the hill in Westport.

Continuing on:

gallery_28660_4896_8837.jpg

Gelato! My best friend introduced me to this place a couple of weekends ago. We had eaten lunch at Cupini's, and he had a craving for gelato. I so regret that I won't be able to fit in a trip to Cupini's this week, so I'll just endorse it heavily. It's a little Italian place on the corner of State Line and Westport Road. I've probably eaten 3/4 of the menu, and everything had been fabulous, no exageration. If you haven't been there, go! /PLUG.

But back to gelato:

gallery_28660_4896_10313.jpg

Isn't that a pretty sight? They'll let you sample your way through the whole case if you want. I ordered a small mint-chocolate.

gallery_28660_4896_21062.jpg

The first time I came in here, I ordered an espresso, which they gave to me in a glass shot glass. I'm sort of embarassed to say that I barely stopped myself from taking it like a shot of whiskey. That would have been embarassing!

I also stopped into William's Sonoma around the corner, just to browse. I never actually buy anything there, I spend my money at Pryde's.

So winding my way back home, I stopped by the Nelson-Atkins, Kansas City's world class art museum.

gallery_28660_4896_240.jpg

That sign is right outside the outdoor sculpture park.

Bonus pictures of the giant game of badminton that's perpetually played out on the lawn:

gallery_28660_4896_17636.jpg

gallery_28660_4896_92367.jpg

These were sort of controversial when they were first proposed, but they've become iconic now, and I love how whimsical they are.

There's a really pleasant restuarant inside the museum called Rozelle Court, in a big lofty open space. It's upscale casual lunch fare served cafeteria style, and is worth checking out if you come to the museum. Now's a great time to visit the museum; it's been getting a lot of national press because of the new Bloch building.

Speaking of restaurants inside art museums, also along my drive home from the Plaza is the Kemper Museum of Modern Art:

gallery_28660_4896_43759.jpg

Inside is Cafe Sebastienne. I had lunch with my mom there a couple of weeks ago. It's also a lunch-ish type spot, very contemporary. The eating space is a sort of outdoor-indoor patio, very tall and narrow, with stainless steel bistro tables. The food was very good:

gallery_28660_4896_37942.jpg

Broccoli cheese soup

gallery_28660_4896_11732.jpg

Very delicat halibut with carrot sauce.

gallery_28660_4896_52112.jpg

Crab cakes an a vaguely asian-inspired slaw.

So I was going to cook dinner last night, but my best friend called and offered me a more fun alternative - split some Jimmy John's and go drink beer on his porch while it rained. I didn't really have choice since he called from my driveway.

gallery_28660_4896_125165.jpg

Jimmy John's is a self-proclaimed gourmet sandwich shop, and the do indeed have good sandwhiches. It's probably a good thing I live just outside their delivery radius, so I don't have that temptation every night I think I'm too lazy to cook.

Dinner taken care of, we had to trek down to the suburbs to a giant liquor superstore for a specific Colorado microbrew that his girlfriend likes, since none of the twelve liquor stores within a mile of my apartment carry it.

I'm not much of a beer drinker, but:

gallery_28660_4896_115457.jpg

nothing says summer quite like sitting outside with a bottle of Boulevard Wheat with a lemon. Great locally brewed beer.

We trekked back to his house, where we had to re-arrange pretty much the entire contents of the fridge to fit in all the beer we'd bought. This gave me the chance to observe that the BBQ sauce selection in the fridge was woefully inadequate, consisting of two different varieties of Kraft, and two kinds of KC Masterpeice, and to commence appropriate chastisement.

What happened next is one of the reasons he's my best friend. He went to a cabinet in the bottom corner of the kitchen, reached to the very back, and lined up along the counter the trifecta:

gallery_28660_4896_183600.jpg

:wub:

He explained that he has to hide the good stuff from his three roommates who don't appreciate the difference.

We proceded to drink alot of beer on the rambling front porch, it rained, and life was good.

Now I see why you're not answering my pm - you've been a busy girl!

Love Papa Keno's - they were on the City Market (where Harry's Country Club is now) a little too early to make it. Now that there are enough people living down there, I wish they would try it again.

Boulevard - the brewery is one of the places I am considering for the Saturday evening meal when The Heartland Gathering comes to KC in 2009 (since Ronnie already hijacked it for 2008 :angry::biggrin:). They have a fabulous new event area with a brilliant observation deck offering great downtown vistas. End of advert.

I'm surprised we don't run into each other all of the time, considering that we go to the same places. That's another thing about Kansas City - it's still very much a small town in the sense that it is rare to go somewhere without randomly running into someone you know. Always an excuse to stop somewhere for a bite and a drink.

You're holding up remarkably well 6 days into your tour of duty and it's really fun being a tourist in our own city!

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Ditto the props for Dividend's selections to share with the eG world.

Tomorrow's brunch will give a very laid-back-yet-top-notch view of our fair city. Some of us who just had to show our support of Div's efforts (oh, okay, you saw through us, we just want an excuse to go out for a great brunch) are gathering at bluestem tomorrow at NOON (if that time is news to you, check your listserve email, please!!) for the best of the midwest. Relatively humble "normal" food done righteously with primo ingredients.

M.F.K. Fisher

Your pictures of KC remind me of great trips there with my daughter while she was a law student at KU. I just love the badmitton birdies!!!

This is a really nice blog - thanks so much for your time.

Kansas/Missouri are wonderful places to grow up or raise a family. Or both.

(I grew up in El Dorado, KS.)

Stop Family Violence

Now you've gone and gotten me all homesick with those wonderful Country Club Plaza photos!

(More historical trivia: The Country Club Plaza, which is the northern gateway to real estate developer Jesse Clyde Nichols' 1000-acre high-end development, the Country Club District [so named because it surrounds what was at the time the Kansas City Country Club; that space is known today as Loose Park], is considered by most scholars of urban planning to be the first planned shopping center in the United States. The center, work on which began in 1921, was certainly the first shopping district designed to accommodate the automobile. It does so gracefully while putting pedestrian scale uppermost.)

I was rummaging around online in search of one of the iconic images of the Country Club Plaza -- the shot of the J.C. Nichols Fountain with the replica of the Giralda Tower in the background. Erected in 1965, Kansas City's Giralda Tower copy is the official commemoration of its sister city relationship with Seville, Spain. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find it easily|got sidetracked along the way.

I managed to knock back a few Boulevard Pale Ales at Charlie Hopper's in Brookside when I was in town for the Pem-Day/Sunset 1976 30th reunion last summer. (Wanna see my pictures? They include some great hors d'oeuvres, courtesy of Room 39. I believe I mentioned this on the thread where my return home was announced.)

It's also nice to see that Mary Atkins finally got her due -- after all, her estate made up half of what I knew as the Nelson Art Gallery growing up. (Actually, the official name back in the '60s was an unwieldy one: the William Rockhill Nelson Gallery of Art/Mary Atkins Museum of Fine Arts -- but everyone just called it the Nelson Art Gallery.) Calling it the Nelson-Atkins corrects a decades-long slight.

But explain your best friend's roommates to me, please. I thought that you were required to leave Kansas City if your idea of barbecue sauce was Kraft.

Yesterday morning, I did a bunch of my favorite Saturday morning things.

First, I took the boy I'm dating to Blue Bird Bistro. This is a great little restaurant tucked into a funky neighborhood, with a focus on local, organic ingredients. (I think that may be a theme of this blog.)

gallery_28660_4896_105983.jpg

Interior shot:

gallery_28660_4896_160333.jpg

I love the old fashioned rough paper menus:

gallery_28660_4896_203026.jpg

I've come here many times and never managed to order off any page besides the breakfast page:

gallery_28660_4896_138044.jpg

I went with my old standby, the Summit Street Benedict. Poached eggs, onions, roasted red peppers, feta cheese, capers, hollandaise.

gallery_28660_4896_112709.jpg

This is one of those dishes with strong contrasting flavors. My mom says that this restaurant is not for everyone, because none of the dishes are traditional versions of things.

My boy, despite not being a regular breakfast eater, and not liking eggs in any form (he does have many redeeming qualities), thoroughly enjoyed his french toast:

gallery_28660_4896_34566.jpg

This may, indeed, be the best french toast in the world. That's a half order, two huge slices of ciabatta from the bakery next door, coated in a citrusy vanilla egg batter, served with pecan butter so good you could eat it with a spoon.

Breakfast requirements satisfied, we went next door to Fervere.

gallery_28660_4896_105349.jpg

I can't say enough good things about this bakery. They bake naturally leavened breads in a massive, breathtaking brick oven, in this tiny narrow space.

gallery_28660_4896_184827.jpg

They have posted hours, but tend to close when they've sold all their bread.

gallery_28660_4896_322603.jpg

gallery_28660_4896_219096.jpg

Not only do they bake the best bread I've ever had outside of good, thoughtful homemade stuff, but being in the bakery is like stepping back in time. It's harder than it should be to find good bread in Kansas City, and this is the best I've found. I guess I'm also a sucker for the inherent romance of buying bread from a little place like this. Sometimes I feel like I was born a century too late.

I have pics from the City Market too, I'll get them up when I get back from brunch at Bluestem!

PS - If I'm managing to make some people homesick for Kansas City, I've done my job here.

Having never lived there, I'm not homesick. I've passed through Kansas City several times, staying overnight but never spending any time. After this blog, I'll make sure I set a couple of days aside to explore (and eat!) if I get the opportunity. Thanks so much for sharing with us.

(BTW - does the boy you're dating know that there are eggs in french toast? :wink: )

As I was reading Blue Bird's menu, I thought, "I'm having the Summit Street Benedict", then, the next photo is it!!! It looks divine, and the French Toast doesn't look bad either. What a terrific place.

Stop Family Violence