• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bone marrow risotto?

infernooo

Hi everyone,

I have read through the bone marrow thread but was hoping for some thoughts on what I am planning to make tomorrow night.

Please keep in mind that I have never used bone marrow before (I am a complete newbie).

Steps beginning with a question mark I am not sure about

1.) Roast bone marrow bones for ~ 20 mins at 450 degrees. Remove and keep bones roasting at lower temperature for a bit longer then make stock out of them.

2.) In the mean time, saute some onion and garlic in butter or olive oil till soft, add arborio rice, cook a few minutes to coat with oil/butter.

? 3.) Add white wine and cook until evaporated

4.) Add stock one ladle at a time, stirring until almost ready

?5.) Chop bone marrow and pan fry/roast until browned

6.) Add bone marrow to risotto

? 5.) Add parmesan

6.) Add chopped parsley + season to taste

Any ideas? Sound OK? The reason I am not sure is I don't know how well it would pair with these ingredients or if I should use some other vegetables (asparagus?)

Thanks!

I have never used bone marrow in risotto making but many recipes call for it chopped finely and sweated with the onions at the beginning of the process. I assume this would add richness to the whole risotto but that the marrow would melt within it. The thing about it is that the marrow is mostly fat and eventually melts down to nothing if not carefull. At work we soak the bones under running water for a while to wash some of the impurities away, then the bones are blanched in simmering water a few minutes and then refreshed under cold water, this helps get rid of impurities and, then we pull the marrow out for other applications. Your process sounds good but I would blanch the bones first instead of roasting to get the marrow out, so that you don't end up losing too much of it.

I use bone marrow in making Risotto alla Milanese, but in this case you use the marrow as a source of fat for the initial frying stage. The fat and aqueous content is where a huge amount of beef flavour is contained and this is what it was used for. I think that what you are doing adding some bone marrow cracklings to the end which is different. I think that this could work out well (I like crisped pig crackling through "SE-Asian salads"), but I would use some of the rendered marrow fat to flavour the risotto and I wouldn't roast and extract.

The bone marrow has blood vessels (and a bit of free blood) around and through it. When you cook this it turns black, which is not something you want for the presentation of the dish. I think that you are better extracting the marrow and soaking it overnight in milk to remove most of the blood, then patting dry and then frying (or follow the process described by cricklewood, which I have just read). Unless you have very small cubes it will not crisp all the way though and unless you are careful the effect you might end up with is lumps if greyish fat on an already very rich dish.

I agree with what was said above....I've also seen marrow "mounted" into risotto much like cold butter is to finish. I should say, marrow fat mounted in.

Marrow is delicious, but I think it would benefit from being more of a flavoring agent in the risotto rather than an ingredient. I can't imagine enjoying a mouthful of marrow in with my risotto. I find that marrow is best when spread on a crusty piece of toast and topped with whatever. I think that the marrow flavor is great, so I agree with all of the above, sweat the aromatics with marrow fat, and/or mount the risotto with a combination of butter and marrow fat.

Good luck...let us know how it turns out.

Thanks everyone - sounds great!

So I have now changed my plan as recommended to use the marrow as the fat in the recipe. I also think I will use the marrow bones themselves roasted for the stock and I won't finish it with butter or marrow, but just some pecorino.

Sort of feel like it need some vegies or solids... but if I finish it with parsley that should make it look much nicer.

Thanks everyone - sounds great!

So I have now changed my plan as recommended to use the marrow as the fat in the recipe. I also think I will use the marrow bones themselves roasted for the stock and I won't finish it with butter or marrow, but just some pecorino.

Sort of feel like it need some vegies or solids... but if I finish it with parsley that should make it look much nicer.

If you add saffron you will have something close to Risotto alla Milanese. I'm not sure what your plan with the risotto is, but paired with meat it is very good, but equally you could add some asparagus if you wanted it as a stand alone dish.