• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

marinating with soda?

WiscoNole

Ok so I know there are plenty of recipes for ribs soaked in Coke. I was putting together a marinade for a flank steak and wanted to use something unique for the acid (besides some lime juice I used). So I popped open a can of Sprite and poured it in. The steak is for a Latino application, so I figure the citrus flavors might be nice. Any insight as to whether or not this will be successful? Stories of your own carbonated adventures?

That sounds like it will be good! I don't often care for sweet flavors in my meat, so generally use beer for carbonation. Love that citrus flavored beer Tequiza for marinating flank steak for fajitas and such. I do use Sprite in my biscuits, ran across the recipe online one day and tried it. Never went back! Wow, fluffy, flavorful, and crisp on the outside. Let us know how this turns out, please.

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

That sounds like it will be good!  I don't often care for sweet flavors in my meat, so generally use beer for carbonation.  Love that citrus flavored beer Tequiza for marinating flank steak for fajitas and such.  I do use Sprite in my biscuits, ran across the recipe online one day and tried it.  Never went back!  Wow, fluffy, flavorful, and crisp on the outside.  Let us know how this turns out, please.

Definatley sounds interesting.......let us know!

Orangina or any natural style orange soda goes great as a marinade and to roast Cornish hens

orangeina, olive oil, garlic oregano salt and pepper I think that is it then grill slowly over a smokey grill

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

I use sodas all the time! Especially for chicken bbqed over a can of something, usually beer, but we have used orange, cola, lemon-lime sodas as well as hard cider. Then I use the other half a can of soda to make a thin bbq-type sauce for the chicken (the lemon-lime also takes well to Thai flavors). But I've also just marinated chicken parts in the soda and then grill (when out of a whole chicken or no cans around). We don't normally keep much soda in the house, so this is usually after a large party when we have leftover cans or bottles.

The Sprite worked pretty well for what it was intended to do, which was tenderize and add a little citrus flavor. However, I think it may have somehow washed away the flavor of the spices I added (I used ancho chile powder, paprika, regular chile powder, and s&p). I think next time I'm going to marinate in the Sprite for a day, take it out, pat it dry, and do a dry rub.

The Sprite worked pretty well for what it was intended to do, which was tenderize and add a little citrus flavor.  However, I think it may have somehow washed away the flavor of the spices I added (I used ancho chile powder, paprika, regular chile powder, and s&p).  I think next time I'm going to marinate in the Sprite for a day, take it out, pat it dry, and do a dry rub.

This is the method I use, and I've found it to work best. I've had success especially with chicken and grapefruit flavoured sodas, root beer and pork, and coke with lime for flank/hanger steak (lovely as fajitas).

Just wanted to further Mr. Delicious's point that all the soda marinades result in sublte flavour. If you wanna bump it up a bit, reduce it down, stir in fresh herbs, and use it as a glaze while you're grilling. Which I tend to always do, and it's always very tasty. Two sweet? Add lime juice.

I asked the secret to the grocery store rotisserie chicken once and they swore all they did was mist it during cooking with a mixture of 7Up, salt and pepper. I think the subtle sweetness kick starts something primitive in my brain.

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini