• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The American Royal

joiei

I have recieved my assignments for judging during the American Royal BBQ competition. I will be judging the invitational and the open desserts on Saturday and on Sunday I will be judging the Open Meats. So inspite of the fact that I will know some of the cooks, I still want to party Friday night. That is a very special day of the year for me beyond being what it is to KC. I can bring a cake or whatever. The rules are that I can not mingle with the cooks before judging on the day of the event. Competition bbq for 2 days, I don't know if I can contain myself.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

• 1 month later...

I received my judges packet in the mail today. Yuhu!!! Besides the judging, which will take up the middle of each day, on Friday night, the entertainment is a tribute to Johnny Cash. And on Saturday the headliners are Cross Canadian Ragweed, love it. I do not know what the World of Agriculture display is but I am looking forward to seeing it. And the rodeo, although from the timing I think I will be missing the Celebrity cookoff but should be able to catch at least some of the Local Chef Cooking Cemonstrations. And there is a food court (?) and an Innovation Expo - the latest in bbq grills, smokers, tools, etc. There is also a poker event, but I am not good at anything higher than penny ante, I am sooo cheap.

I wouldn't mind hitting the Blue Room at least late one night for some KC Jazz.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Probably the best weekend of the year to be in Kansas City and I'll be on vacation.

Figures.

I can't say I'm that upset to be making my first trip to New Orleans and going to the LSU/Florida game but I'd love to read a full account of the Royal when I get back.

Probably the best weekend of the year to be in Kansas City and I'll be on vacation.

Figures.

I can't say I'm that upset to be making my first trip to New Orleans and going to the LSU/Florida game but I'd love to read a full account of the Royal when I get back.

New Orleans-KC, New Orleans-KC jeesh, I wouldn't want to have to make that decision. Have fun at the ball game, go Noles.

Wonderful. I wish we had something of the sort in Texas. I'd like to give it a try next year.

Kent - They do. Check out The Big State BBQ Showdown. 10/13 and 10/14 at The Texas World Speedway - College Station. A friend of mine has entered his team and I may join them to help out.

Edited by dls (log)

That sounds like a fun event. One big difference, the tickets for the KC Royal is $5 a person and the tickets for the Big State are $95 at the bottom end. I have been to events put on by this group and they are good at it. If I was not already committed, I would for sure try to get in to be a judge. I would not pay that much to just go be there. It looks like the Big State is about the music, which I think the line up is terrific. I will have to keep this in mind for next year.

Edited by joiei (log)