• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch: Rockefeller Center

waves2ya

Hi...

So I've search and found dinner ideas in the 30 Rock area... Lunch on the site has ideas like Moishes falafel, of course, and that chinese place on 46 b/w 6&7...

How about other lunch ideas in the quasi 30 Rock area - say 52rd to 47th between 5th to 8th (1/2 hour walk/buy/back) for $6 or under?

Many thanks, in advance, for ideas.

Btw - Cosi, the "yougart parfait": $3 - not bad and right at 47th & 6th...

~waves

"When you look at the face of the bear, you see the monumental indifference of nature. . . . You see a half-disguised interest in just one thing: food."

Werner Herzog; NPR interview about his documentary "Grizzly Man"...

Does it have to be $6????  That doesn't even get you a corner deii sandwich anymore....... especially in Midtown.....

I guess not - esp. since some 50 folks read with no reply...

There are a plethora of choices at about $8 (after taxes) - so, given the good cheap eats seem out, what's the best value in the area for lunchmuncher?

Thanks for ideas...

~waves

"When you look at the face of the bear, you see the monumental indifference of nature. . . . You see a half-disguised interest in just one thing: food."

Okay, okay, I was one of the 50.

Waves, have you found the Midtown Lunch blog yet? Zach has pretty eclectic taste and there are a lot of commenters and tipsters who obviously appreciate that someone is making the effort to see that we all have more interesting things for lunch. I don't know how else I would've found out about the new Popeye's on 40th between 7th & 8th - three chicken strips, a side and a biscuit for four bucks! And as soon as I get my courage up (or, more likely, get someone to hold my hand) I will try one of those back-of-a-deli Korean places and get me some Japanese rice balls from one of those stores on 41st.

But mostly, the prices around here depress me so much I brown bag it a LOT. Perhaps that's your future too...

To hell with poverty! We'll get drunk on cheap wine - Gang of Four

For $6 and under go down to the Trini-Pak cart on the SE corner of 43rd and 6th. The cart has a man/wife team and it's usually next to a fruit cart. When in doubt, you can always ask "is this the Trini-Pak cart?" You can get a medium chicken and rice (get the basmati) and a soda for $5.

I'd recommend the Kwik-Meal cart but that's a little more than $6.

If you want to go down for a farther walk you can go to the trio of Japanese places on 41st between Fifth and Sixth aves.

• 1 month later...

Just a quick follow up to the many good suggestions I received (thks!)...

Moishe's falafel is delish and a bargain at $4.50; the kwik meal cart (and lunch blog) something else - lamb is a good as people say and I had a very good chicken sandwich for $4.50...

There are a lot of the 'build your own salad/sandwich/panini/udon soup (on & on) joints but my favorite is Bocca; you can't get out of those places really for less than $7...

There's a Two Boots in 30 Rock; not Park Slope or Lower East Side - but is pretty good...

Hing Won didn't impress me (too MSG/cornstarch goopy) - but I'll give it another shot. There's another good udon joint on 7th between 49 & 48 that's cheap ($7) and fresh.

Will keep eating around for ideas.

~waves