• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO Vanilla appetizer recipe

gfron1

Hmmm

watercress and peach slices with a vanilla citrus dressing....and, ummm maybe some toasted nuts

vanilla poached dried figs wrapped in prosciutto

goat cheese tartlet with a fruit and vanilla syrup

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Here are a few ideas, including a soup and salad recipe:

Vanilla Melon Soup

http://www.latartinegourmande.com/2006/07/...lla-melon-soup/

Warm Spinach Salad with Sweet Vanilla Bean Vinaigrette

http://www.sandiegorestaurants.com/recipe....BeanVinaigrette

VANILLA SHRIMP CROSTINI

http://www.foodreference.com/html/vanillashr.html

Asian Spiced Chicken in Wonton Cups with Vanilla Apricot Sauce

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Asian-Spiced-...uce/Detail.aspx

Edited by merstar (log)
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

I'm wanting to make an appetizer that includes vanilla.  The entree is a lobster tail with champagne vanilla sauce.  I haven't had any luck finding something suitable.  By the way...did I mention this is for tomorrow at lunch!  AHHHHH!

We used to do a tahitian vanilla poached white asparagus, with dandelion vinegar sabayon...

-CW

you could sear a scallop and then top with a vanilla curry oil (curry powder V bean simmered in olive oil - let sit overnight - strain.) you could do it over a small micro green salad. needs some acid though, maybe a LIGHT lime dressing on the greens. just thinking out loud.

Hmmmm, just my thoughts, but I believe I've made that sauce before (it is wonderful), but don't you think more vanilla might take away from the main course? That's like a surprise ingredient that I don't think I'd use twice in the same meal.... I'd go for something contrasting... if you want something vegitarian, I'd suggest this Crostini with chevre and apricots.

Thanks to all of you, especially merstar and dessertsbydesign. Here's what I ended up with for this all vanilla meal:

We started with a Croquito (in RecipeGullet), then moved on to a slight variation to the melon soup listed above. The recipe called for Tuscan Melon, which I used cantaloup with a dash of almond extract. It was a huge hit.:

gallery_41282_4708_18450.jpg

gallery_41282_4708_24484.jpg

Then we had dessertsbydesign vanilla poached asparagus with brandy sabayon. I had to make a number of variations. First, I used a very tender green asparagus instead of white, then I served it on a croissant that I cut and fried in butter to crisp. Fantastic! I can't imagine how good the original recipe would be.

gallery_41282_4708_7769.jpg

Then a neopolitan salad that came as a suggestion inspired by Jonathan Kaplan's comments in the 99% chocolate topic. Another hit. It was served with a warm vanilla vineagrette, fresh strawberries and 99% Cluizel bar.

gallery_41282_4708_24908.jpg

The entree was a wild sockeye salmon poached in a vanilla champagne sauce. I hate putting sauce on sockeye, but I wasn't about to use the farm raised, color added stuff available at the store.

gallery_41282_4708_13626.jpg

And finally, vanilla risotto with carmelized pears.

gallery_41282_4708_5597.jpg

Thanks again for all the help! And thanks to Patrick A (another eGullet member) who soused for me.

So many questions...

First, my thought was that most people think - vanilla = dessert and vanilla = madagascar, but I wanted people to think about Tahitian and Mexican, and also extract, bean, paste, powder. So that was my starting point.

The meal was really outstanding - I surprised myself. In fact, I've been joking all day that since 95% of what I make is sweet, the only way I was able to pull off this great meal is by using an ingredient typically found in sweet.

None of the courses was "too vanilla" which was good. They wall complemented or built on the next...more by chance than planning.

The questions/comments:

"I wish I had been invited"

I tend to make things because of a reason...so come to the mountains of southern New Mexico and give me a reason :)

Drinks?

We started with the croquito obviously, then I served some of the champagne that I used in the salmon recipe, and ended up with Tynant water because anything else was too much, plus, all but one course had liquor in it, and I wanted folks to get home safely.

"interesting choice"

This was the first dinner in our new kitchen (besides a marshmallow class for kids). Truth be told, I was hoping to be able to cancel because I'm really tired and have had a rough personal weekend, but since it happened, I was up for it and really had fun. The choice was made for the reason above - get people to think a bit differently about vanilla. Also, I got a great deal on vanilla based on fatguy's post about homemade vanilla when I bought a pound of organic Tahitian pods.

"What happened to the lobster?"

I live in the middle of the dessert...didn't seem practical in the end. Also, I know big city folk won't get this, but we had wild caught, no color added sockeye!!!!! That is a rare occasion!

I was so pleased with everthing. Nothing could have been better, from the choice of recipes (many offered by eGers), the sous (Patrick A) and the crowd. What a fun day.

Yes, I must agree the class went very well (I was the sous). All the dishes prepared to me seemed to build up and correspond with the theme of Vanilla. The recipes weren't as hard to prepare and were pretty easy, all that was required was two burners, a blender, large saute pan with cover and a couple of sauce pans, and other basic things like a whisk etc. The results had an awesome taste and appearance as you can see by the pictures gfon1 posted.

Some of dishes weren't as sweet as many may believe vanilla to be. They also like gfon1 said weren't "too vanilla" as you might expect it to be. The salmon, asparagus dish, and salad were savory and the others were mildly sweet. They intermingled with both the sweet and savory categories. The salad was without a doubt awesome with the addition of the 99% chocolate and strawberries as like gfon1 said it was the rave of those that attended. My personal favorite were the salmon, melon soup, and the dessert of caramelized pears and sweet rice of course.

"....What a fun day. "

now that what it is all about!!!!

how fun to read this the food looks so wonderful!!!

you did salmon proud!!! congratulations!!!

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

The questions/comments:

"I wish I had been invited" 

I tend to make things because of a reason...so come to the mountains of southern New Mexico and give me a reason :)

I would love to visit New Mexico - I've never been there - I may just take you up on it. I'll make the dessert!

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.