• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

King Estate Winery Lunch/Oregon

I just found out that King Estate winery has a restaurant! Their online menu sounds excellent, has anyone had a meal here, especially lunch. We want to wine taste here and at Chateau Lorane (Marechal Foch) before heading up to Portland for dinner. Thanks! :)

I had a very fine lunch at King Estate last autumn as part of the Oregon Truffle Festival. Granted, it was a large affair and perhaps not typical of the average lunch, but the food was fine indeed. Large fireplace and leather sitting chairs just off the main dining area are wonderfully cozy in the winter.

I've also been shown around "backstage" and watched as the chefs prepared meals, and it seemed the operation is as neatly run as any fine dining restaurant. When I was last there they were making jam from the estate fruits in huge copper cauldrons. They have extensive organic gardens that supply much of the dining room's seasonal needs, plus large storage sheds elsewhere on the property for their produce storage.

I would have every expectation that the dining at King Estate would be excellent!

(P.S. Because people tend to be quite sensitive about these things, I will also say that King Estate is not an advertiser in our magazine and I have no vested interest in saying nice things about them.)

-Cole

Excellent would be a good word for our lunch at King Estate last week! The views from the outside terrace are gorgeous, we dined outside and took in the stunning views. I started with the Grilled Fresh Water Prawn Appetizer with green beans, walnuts and Creme Fraiche. This was a beautifully presented appetizer, I have some photos of our lunch on my photo gallery here. Next we shared the Warm Duck Confit Salad with Freisee greens, dried onions and roquefort vineagrette dressing. Very good! My husband preferred this to the Prawn appetizer.

Our server suggest the King Estate Chardonnay to go with our lunch which was very good, clean and crisp, the perfect accompaniement to our meal. My husband had the Roasted Chicken with wild mushrooms, baby Yukon potatoes, sauteed greens which he enjoyed very much. I had the appetizer portion of the Seared Sea Scallops with sauce Aromatique, summer corn relish, spring onions and bacon lardens. This was an entree portion, very good and I loved the sweetness that the corn relish gave to the dish.

We shared a Creme Brulee for dessert which was great, our server was very informative and professional. We hope to go back again in a couple of weeks, there was a Sole entree that would like to try with a glass of their Pinot Gris.

Two thumbs up to this place! I'm assuiming dinner here would also be amazing.