• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Boneta

SBonner

I had my first dinner at Boneta last night and was totally impressed. Neil Ingram, Andre McGillivray, Mark Brand, and Chef Jeremie Bastien really are an A team of food, drink, and service. Attentive from the moment you step in the door; the service is slick and polished. Last night from the menu I had the Peking Duck and Scallop dumplings (complexly flavoured with a sublime texture) and the duck confit. A glass of Tahblik Marsanne, Givry, and Bandol rounded out the night. Neil's compact list offers some interesting wines at decent price points based on their rarity and curiosity factor. Mark has put together a great team of bartenders that when put to the challenge to make a cocktail not on the list do not let you down. I'll have to walk over to this new hip place much more often.

Cheers,

Stephen Bonner

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

We tried Boneta last night and have nothing but praise for our entire experience. Beautiful room, very gracious, helpful, and friendly staff along with an interesting menu. We tried a cross section of the offerings and we're vey pleased with all the flavours and presentations. My only suggestion would be bigger portions. After having bread, an appetizer, entree, dessert, two glasses of wine and a cocktail I was still hungry. So on our walk home we passed a Subway and I got a sandwich.

We tried Boneta last night and have nothing but praise for our entire experience.  Beautiful room, very gracious, helpful, and friendly staff along with an interesting menu.  We tried a cross section of the offerings and we're vey pleased with all the flavours and presentations.  My only suggestion would be bigger portions.  After having bread, an appetizer, entree, dessert, two glasses of wine and a cocktail I was still hungry.  So on our walk home we passed a Subway and I got a sandwich.

Now not having seen the portion at Boneta, I have seen the hulk known as Pao Pao......................................he is a pretty big guy. I think Boneta is in my travel plans this evening. I will report back on the portions asap.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Went last night and it was outstanding....large, bright well-designed room. Opener was locally farmed scallops with foie gras mousse, truffle shavings and a ribbon of marinated asparagus that was an excellent foil for the richness of the other ingredients. Local sardines a la planche with a tomato chutney was a flavour bomb (you have to like sardines, which I do), followed by a wonderful ling cod with a corn salsa and almond milk froth sabayon. Dessert was a brownie with a milk cappucino. Portions were reasonable for the prices, I had four courses, for normal, non-piggy people three would have done.

Service professional, fast, very friendly and knowledgable, and when us foodies exhausted the servers with questions - bingo, the chef appeared (twice) to tell all.

Neil Ingram was his usual charming and amusing self, his wines, a Macon white, Morellino di Scansano from Tuscany and a Nebbiolo were all good value, with the sangiovese for me an excellent wine and killer deal. A Lustau East India Solera reminded me what a fabulous deal good sherry is. Oh, and my wife had a Wolowydnyk (sp?) manhattan to open and said it was the best cocktail she's had in a long time.

Bravo Neil and crew...six of us agreed we will definitely go back!

Vaughan