• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Bhukhhad

Bhukhhad

31 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Last night was my first attempt at dosa:

MasalaDosa01262020.png

Tasted fine but the presentation left a bit to be desired.  Any suggestions for rolling dosa or should I just fold the dosa over like an envelope?  As may be seen the dosa fell apart while rolling and plating.

Also it took 36 hours or so to get good fermentation.  Is this OK?

JoNorvelleWalker

No, this is not the right way to have dosa. I’m sure it tastes nice though. Let’s see. The first thing is that it should LOOK like a very thin crepe. And it is to be spread pretty much like we would spread a crepe. 
1. cast iron very very flat skillet or dosa tava+ seasoned.

2. Well heated

3.Batter should be perfect. 
4. Pour a ladleful in the center and Immediately swirl with the flat back portion of the ladle to spread in a circular fashion on the tava.  It should be uniformly thin.

5. Pretty soon the sides of the dosa should start to turn upwards because they are ‘done’

6. you can fold like an omelette or roll like a crepe.

Now I too grew up in the north of India so chapati and paratha or Poha are my familiar dishes. Dosa I still get right only sometimes. So you are doing very well! 
But if you want to see a chef making dosa, have a look at Wah Chef. He is a south indian chef and his recipes are pretty authentic. Just like Bhavna’s recipes are authentically gujarati. 

Bhukkhad

Bhukhhad

Bhukhhad

21 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Last night was my first attempt at dosa:

MasalaDosa01262020.png

Tasted fine but the presentation left a bit to be desired.  Any suggestions for rolling dosa or should I just fold the dosa over like an envelope?  As may be seen the dosa fell apart while rolling and plating.

Also it took 36 hours or so to get good fermentation.  Is this OK?

JoNorvelleWalker

No, this is not the right way to have dosa. I’m sure it tastes nice though. Let’s see. The first thing is that it should LOOK like a very thin crepe. And it is to be spread pretty much like we would spread a crepe. 
1. cast iron very very flat skillet or dosa tava+ seasoned.

2. Well heated

3.Batter should be perfect. 
4. Pour a ladleful in the center and Immediately swirl with the flat back portion of the ladle to spread in a circular fashion on the tava.  It should be uniformly thin.

5. Pretty soon the sides of the dosa should start to turn upwards because they are ‘done’

6. you can fold like an omelette or roll like a crepe.

Bhukkhad