• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine Tag: M

Rebel Rose

2000 Château Colombier-Monpelou

Nice wine for the price, good color, a wine with finesse and grace.

2003 Martinelli Chardonnay Charles Ranch

Outstanding wine. Creamy, tastes of peaches citrus. Absolutely wonderful with grilled shrimp.

Chateau de Mirambeau -- 2005 Grand Vin de Bordeaux

Delicious white wine, some mineral qualities with a nice tangy finish. I think I paid $13? Yummy!

"I can sit down, resolved to be moderate, determined to eat and drink lightly, and be there three hours later, nursing my wine and still open to temptation."

Peter Mayle, Toujours Provence

• 2 months later...

Georges Duboeuf 2006 Morgon Jean Descombes 2005

Ripe strawberries and cherries without being "fruity". A solid match for a variety of dishes that we've had over the last few months. Refreshing even without food. I like it best with some chill. Pretty good value at about $12 (on sale) here in PA.

Is that "M" enough?

• 2 weeks later...

Morey-St-Denis -- a low-key Burgundy village making rich spicy Pinots Noirs, such as these recently opened:

1997 Roumier Morey-St.-Denis "Clos de la Bussière" (Premier Cru, Monopole), with duck confit and hoisin-cranberry sauce, steamed bun, cucumber and scallions. Solid and even young with long mineraled flavor. Great with the confit.

1997 Domaine Bertagna Clos St.-Denis (Grand Cru) with the end of a pan-seared salmon course, and cheeses. A developed, earthy, truffly nose. Rich, long flavors of dark berries and spice. (When this wine was tasted young, seven or so years ago, some fellow tasters derided the oak but what was woody or over-toasted young has become complex spice, well integrated.)

Musigny -- a better-known vineyard, 25 acres, small total production. The wine made by Domaine Comte Georges de Vogüé was in US restaurants at moderate price last decade. In contrast the 2005, now with fad status and other factors, sells for many hundreds of dollars. Likewise Mommesin Clos de Tart recently rose fourfold in price.

(Moral: Buy excellent wines before they become fashionable.)

• 2 weeks later...

Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc, particularly Selaks or Isabel. Fabulous summer quaffing. I'm kind of off them now that it's prime red wine weather, though....but I sure drank my share of them during the blasting hot summer we just experienced. :raz:

I may be in Nashville but my heart's in Cornwall