• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sodium Alginate+Calcium Chloride

Harry91

Where can one find the proper ratios of water to sodium alginate to calcium chloride. Google was of little help. I assume there is one "main" ratio when trying to achieve the "caviar" effect with fruit juices.

-harry

It's a ph balance thing.

Yep. I haven't been messing with it lately but I usually used pretty much the same amounts for any fruit. If the ph was right, it always worked. The ph is easy to fix with test strips (or a meter) and some sodium citrate but there's no magic ratio... depends on your juice/puree. I'm not an expert on the stuff so there are probably good reasons for being precise (finding the minimum you can get away with for a given fruit comes to mind) but others have done the hard work when it comes to caviar and spheres and it always seems to work if you stay in the ballpark of their recipes.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

It depends on the consistency you want to achieve. for Adria'a Caviar, it is 2g of Sodium alginate for 500g of juice, and 2g of calcium chloride for 500g of water.

I have gone up to 4g in of alginate to achieve firmer textures, but any more makes things unchewable.