• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Deep Fried Hamburgers

GlorifiedRice

I hate to say it but someone has to... two examples demonstrating the state of American cuisine - the simple path of "you can deep fry anything". It really doesn't matter what it is, just deep fry it.

Oh my.

Brian Misko

House of Q - Competition BBQ

www.houseofq.com

I was going to point out that fried burgers seemed to be a common item in UK chippers, but I think there we are just talking about the patties. This is something else. I'd like one big bite, just to see what it's like, then I think I'd never need to see another. I'm lead to believe that finding things to deep fry in the chipper is somewhat of a past time, so perhaps this one has been done as well.

I'll leave the fried butter to Homer.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/santos/55206748/

Im still waiting for deep fried butter.

I saw a show in which Paula Deen made fried butter ... so :wacko:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/re...6_34925,00.html

:blink: Uhhmmmmmmmm.........why? Paula, Why?

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

Ahhh we must get past Paula with her mouth full of butter....

Now think a deep fried compound butter served on top of maybe green beans, you tell your guests to break it open and gush...a wonderfull, lets say chive and basil butter oozes all over the veggies

Hmmmmm

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

You're the short order. The restaurant closes at midnight. It is now 11:30. Business is slow so you start cleaning up - including scouring the grill. Make it all nice and shiny. Then some rube comes in at 11:50 and orders a burger. Your choice - dirty up the grill or cheat and use the fryer. Burger patty goes in the fryer. No breading, of course.

Been there, done that. Been there, ate that.

Edited by Holly Moore (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Ahhh we must get past Paula with her mouth full of butter....

Now think a deep fried compound butter served on top of maybe green beans, you tell your guests to break it open and gush...a wonderfull, lets say chive and basil butter oozes all over the veggies

Hmmmmm

tracey

Tracy, :huh: ........How the @$%*& did you do THAT?!

You took a completely vile image in my head and turned it into something spectacular!

I humbly bow to my Betters.

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

• 2 weeks later...

Somewhat off topic, but somewhat on as well: Some time ago there was a TV program, perhaps on PBS perhaps not, about hamburger joints across America. One of them deep fried its hamburgers (just the meat, happily) and evidently prided itself on never having changed the grease since early in the last century. Literally: when the restaurant moved, the fat came with it. By coincidence, I was in a fancy New York restaurant a day or two after I saw this program. At that time, they were flash-frying steaks to sear them after cooking them to rare at low temperature, and I asked how often they changed the fat. "Oh, three to five times a night" was the answer. A nice contrast.

• 3 weeks later...

When we went to our county fair last week they were offering deep-fried Pepsi. I have no idea how that works. It was in addition to df Twinkies and cheesecake and snickers. I'll share an elephant ear or funnel cake, but that's my limit for greasy food. (You have to eat something bad for you, or it's not the fair!)

I had a deep fried burger in New Zealand about 25 years ago, at a Greek take-away place. We watched as he put the burgers together, clamped them in some kind of thing, and submerged them in the deep fat. We were speechless. I don't remember what they tasted like, but the cheese was nice and crispy.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/santos/55206748/

Im still waiting for deep fried butter.

I saw a show in which Paula Deen made fried butter ... so :wacko:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/re...6_34925,00.html

Lordy. I looked at some of her other recipes. She's got fried peanut butter and bana sandwiches, aka "the sandwich that killed Elvis." I'm wondering if she looks like Bubbles DeVere! (Warning - not for the faint hearted!)

Edited by sazji (log)

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria