• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sausage and Broccoli

Khadija

My boyfriend's room-mate is not much of a cook. He eats sausage (supermarket grade Italian sausage) and broccoli for dinner every day, if he is the one cooking dinner. Sausage cooked in frying pan, broccoli boiled. No exaggeration.

After my boyfriend boasted about my cooking ability (especially my self-proclaimed innovativeness with mundane ingredients), his room-mate raised a friendly on-going Iron Chef challenge for me. Not-so-secret ingredients: Sausage and broccoli.

My first attempt occurred the other day. I started at 10pm, and used only what was available in the house. Luckily, I had a few things that I had left there (sesame oil, rice vinegar, soy sauce, sirricha, honey, ginger, shallots, garlic). I made broccoli/sausage noodle stir fry. The noodles were those North-American style instant ramen-type noodles. Boyfriend and room-mate proclaimed the meal the most excellent ever cooked in their house.

So, I'm having them over for dinner sometime soon, and I want to do much better. I've thought about making my own sausage, though I don't have one of those sausage-makers. I could only make the filling and then form into patties, or crumble (I do this from time to time). Things like pastas, stuffed pastas, lasagna, pizza immediately come to mind. But those seem almost too easy. I could roast the broccoli, or make it into tempura. But how to make the best sausage complement?

Does anyone want to help me play this game?

Edited by Khadija (log)

I dont know about you but now I want sausage and broccoli with pasta(gemeli or orechiette) with lots and lots of garlic, hot pepper and a little sundried tomato. Lets see, white wine and lots of romano cheese too... Yeah that sound, pretty damn good to me.

Alot of people would use Broccoli Rabe though

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

The pasta does sound pretty good, and I think I will make one like that for a quick dinner. Actually, a couple of nights ago, I made almost exactly the pasta dish you suggest (with farfalle), except bacon was in place of sausage, peas were in place of broccoli, and parm-reggiano was in place of romano. Delicious.

I will definitely make the sausage/broccoli pasta for my boyfriend and room-mate for a quick dinner, but I want something a bit more surprising for a special dinner party.

Here's one.....sausage and broccoli cheese soup. An adaptation on my mens favorite dish.

Saute one whole onion and several chopped garlic cloves in a cube of butter, add sausage, (usually bacon or ham) Add about 6 cups of chicken stock, bring to a boil, dump in a package of egg noodles. Cook for about 5 mins, add a bag of frozen broccoli, or several handfuls of fresh(adjust cooking time), after about 5 mins., stir in at least half of the large size box of velveta cheese *yes, I know, ICK! but works for this better than any other* stir untill melted, add 2 cans of evap milk* another ICK but works here* bring nearly to a boil and remove from heat. Add TONS of gresh black pepper and salt to taste.

Serve with a lot of crispy garlic bread!

Trust me, sounds and is simple, but It is fantastic! The Guys all Love this around here.

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

make a broccoli souffle (with parmesan or blue cheese).

Something unusual for the sausage would be to slice it rather thinly, fry the slices/chunks, and use these to top a green salad. Use some of the fat left in the frying pan (deglazed with red wine vinegar) as vinaigrette. Roasted red onion would be good with that. Also make some garlic croutons. Ilove the combination of cold lettuce and hot fatty sausage and crisp bread.

Shepherd's pie also comes to mind but is maybe too obvious.

Here's one.....sausage and broccoli cheese soup.  An adaptation on my mens favorite dish.

Saute one whole onion and several chopped garlic cloves in a cube of butter, add sausage, (usually bacon or ham) Add about 6 cups of chicken stock, bring to a boil, dump in a package of egg noodles.  Cook for about 5 mins, add a bag of frozen broccoli, or several handfuls of fresh(adjust cooking time), after about 5 mins., stir in at least half of the large size box of velveta cheese *yes, I know, ICK! but works for this better than any other* stir untill melted, add 2 cans of evap milk* another ICK but works here* bring nearly to a boil and remove from heat.  Add TONS of gresh black pepper and salt to taste. 

Serve with a lot of crispy garlic bread!

Trust me, sounds and is simple, but It is fantastic!  The Guys all Love this around here.

This makes me think of another idea I had: Mac N' Cheese with sausage and broccoli. I am a Mac N' Cheese fiend, and I've always been somewhat of a purist when it comes to the dish. That is, no matter how good "add-ins" might be, I never want to mess with the purity of excellent Mac N' Cheese. However, the soup might help me get around that problem.

make a broccoli souffle (with parmesan or blue cheese).

Something unusual for the sausage would be to slice it rather thinly, fry the slices/chunks, and use these to top a green salad. Use some of the fat left in the frying pan (deglazed with red wine vinegar) as vinaigrette. Roasted red onion would be good with that. Also make some garlic croutons. Ilove the combination of cold lettuce and hot fatty sausage and crisp bread.

Shepherd's pie also comes to mind but is maybe too obvious.

I LOVE both the idea of the souffle, and the idea of the salad. Excellent.

As coincidence would have it, the only dish my boyfriend makes is sheperd's pie. It would be sort of funny to make a sausage/broccoli shepherd's pie, but maybe another time.

Toad in the hole (sausage and broccoli baked ina pop-over batter. Even better with some onion and tomato)

Tempura

Frittata

Baked in a pie (with potato and hard boiled eggs for filler)

Curried with rice

Broccoli risotto with sausage

Pizza topping

Pizza, thats the ticket...I just had a broccoli and sausage calzone last week

My former M-I-L used to get broccoli bread and sausage bread for Sunday dinner...Mmmmm

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I haven't done this yet, but I could see a sausage (out of the casing, maybe even homemade) and broccoli stuffed onion being quite the treat. Maybe even topped with some cheese (fontina, provolone, or both.) A large red onion would probably be best, and you'd have to simmer (blanch?) it for 5-10 minutes before hollowing it out and stuffing it.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

pickle the broccolli, chili, mustard seeds etc

Get some sprouts of broccoli and some mustard greens, mizuna or something, grill the sausage?

Pickled broccoli is a great idea!

I haven't done this yet, but I could see a sausage (out of the casing, maybe even homemade) and broccoli stuffed onion being quite the treat. Maybe even topped with some cheese (fontina, provolone, or both.) A large red onion would probably be best, and you'd have to simmer (blanch?) it for 5-10 minutes before hollowing it out and stuffing it.

I'm intrigued by this one, too. All of these ideas are fantastic.

Yesterday afternoon, I made a sausage and broccoli lasagna. Marcella Hazan style bolognese, with sausage removed from casing as the meat base. Bechamel with blanched, pureed broccoli. Fresh pasta. A light layer of parm on top. Baked in individual gratin dishes, which I think is the best way to make lasagna.

Edited by Khadija (log)