• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Are they Chicken Lollipops?

Wesley1

You know, I remember reading about this in Michael Ruhlman's Soul of a Chef (specifically, in reference to Escoffier's recipe for poulet saute), and figured that it would be named there. But he doesn't appear give the technique a name, he just describes it. I figure that if Escoffier didn't have a name for it, lollipop will have to do! :biggrin:

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

I thought frenching was for the end specifically, ie removing the skin from the end .  I am pretty sure its just called a lolipop when you pull the meat down into a ball.

when this is done to the wing, i've heard it called a drumette

In Chinese cooking, that's Got Let (sp?) chicken, but it's usually also breaded.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

"frenching" works also I guess but in french it translates to french kissing  not to pull back the meat from the bones, lol.

It's almost 6am and I am laughing my head off at your comment! :laugh: This whole thread and its "double entendre" is killing me. One of us has their brains in the gutter.