• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hot pastrami at home

Joe McConnell

So I bring home a third of a pound of good deli pastrami. It's not warm. How would you warm it, quickly but gently, to achieve a hot pastrami sandwich in the comfort of your own kitchen?

If you have a coupon for it, you don't want it.

So I bring home a third of a pound of good deli pastrami.  It's not warm.  How would you warm it, quickly but gently, to achieve a hot pastrami sandwich in the comfort of your own kitchen?

I always wrap it in aluminum foil, sprinkle a tiny bit of water over it, fold it up tight, and put it in a warm oven for a while. Or, you could steam it gently by putting it on a plate or bowl and placing that in the steamer.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

wrap in a damp paper towel and microwave for 20-30 seconds. check and repeat til warm enough for you.

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

I don't want to get into the Smoked meat vs. pastrami debate. Growing up in Montreal the smoked meat always came out of a steam table. At first I thought this was just to warm the meat. I (much later) found out that the real reason was to re-hydrate the meat after the spicing and smoking. Steaming is the answer but depending on the size of the brisket it can take a couple of hours.

Cheers

Baconburner

I don't want to get into the Smoked meat vs. pastrami debate. Growing up in Montreal the smoked meat always came out of a steam table. At first I thought this was just to warm the meat. I (much later) found out that the real reason was to re-hydrate the meat after the spicing and smoking. Steaming is the answer but depending on the size of the brisket it can take a couple of hours.

Cheers

Baconburner

Pastrami is also steamed.

Personally I get a whole Boars Head pastrami and drop it into the crockpot with the juice from a jar of dill pickles let it go about 4 hours...

Just like Wilke's deli in NJ used to do it

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

pastrami is actually corned beef which at first it is boiled then to make pastrami they will spice it with black pepper then smoke it.. steaming it is a great idea

The difference between Montreal smoked meat and pastrami is in the way the meat is cured. Smoked meat is dry cured, pastrami is cured in a wet brine. From there they're both given a spice rub, smoked, and then steamed for service. There's no boiling involved in either.

So I bring home a third of a pound of good deli pastrami.  It's not warm.  How would you warm it, quickly but gently, to achieve a hot pastrami sandwich in the comfort of your own kitchen?

Thanks -- good ideas. And yes, please, let's not kick off a smoked meat vs

pastrami debate -- there's enough doctrinal dispute in the world as it is.

If you have a coupon for it, you don't want it.

I always wrap it in aluminum foil, sprinkle a tiny bit of water over it, fold it up tight, and put it in a warm oven for a while. Or, you could steam it gently by putting it on a plate or bowl and placing that in the steamer.

I occasionally buy whole pastramis from Katz's deli in New York. When it's whole, I definitely steam it for about an hour and then slice it.

After it's sliced, I agree with markk, warm it up in aluminum foil. I think steaming it after it's sliced might alter the texture a bit and it might fall apart. If I was going to steam it sliced, I'd still wrap it in the aluminum foil.