• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kansas City

joiei

Bluestem report, just too good, almost enough to make me want to move to KCMO, or KCK either one. OP not so much.

We ended up sitting in the wine lounge section just having a great time, you should of been there, really. The wine was flowing, Solitare chardonnay, the cab, i didn't catch the name of that one. The Moules Frites was excellent served with a flight of dipping sauces for the frites. My favorite was the spicy aioli, more frites, a charcuterie board of italian hams - yum. Then we ordered an almost dinner of waygu beef tartar, I was tempted to order a second, but not wanting to embaress anyone, I held off, damit.

This morning, I had breakfast at Sparks in Brookside, it has lots of great reviews. I thought it was only okay, nothing really inspired or interesting. Oh well, back to Room 39.

Signing off so I can get ready for my trip to Shreveport and New Orleans.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Bluestem report, just too good, almost enough to make me want to move to KCMO, or KCK either one. OP not so much.

We ended up sitting in the wine lounge section just having a great time, you should of been there, really. The wine was flowing, Solitare chardonnay, the cab, i didn't catch the name of that one. The Moules Frites was excellent served with a flight of dipping sauces for the frites. My favorite was the spicy aioli, more frites, a charcuterie board of italian hams - yum. Then we ordered an almost dinner of waygu beef tartar, I was tempted to order a second, but not wanting to embaress anyone, I held off, damit.

This morning, I had breakfast at Sparks in Brookside, it has lots of great reviews. I thought it was only okay, nothing really inspired or interesting. Oh well, back to Room 39.

Signing off so I can get ready for my trip to Shreveport and New Orleans.

Of course, we didn't need joie's excellent round-up or the NY Times to tell us that we have great food. Congrats to Celina Tio, Debbie Gold, the cast and crew at Lidia's, and Colby Garrelts for their work and achievements in making KC a great place to eat.

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Just about everything that's been raised, discussed, and pureed over on that thread about Detroit is encapsulated in that New York Times article, which I imagine is being clipped and saved (figuratively speaking) throughout metropolitan Kansas City.

It also reminds me anew how clueless many East Coast denizens still are about our nation's heartland and its cities. Johnson County's always been spectacularly wealthy; the folks in NYC are only now understanding it? Because some of them have Sprint cell phone service or visited town for a convention? (See, there's that inner Kansas Citian springing up in me, getting all defensive about my forever hometown.)

Still, the Times reporter did an excellent job.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Mkt. St. E, I liked your idea on the other thread about regional dining/food destinations.

Competing with the big boys seems a pointless exercise, but what seems to have come of age is a sense of place and self that allows cities like KC and Portland to not really care what folks in NY or SF are thinking. That's a good thing.

Edited by bbqboy (log)

I knew KC had come of age when it began to embrace rather than hide its wide-open, Jazz Age past during "Boss Tom's" heyday.

If I understand the chronology in The Grand Barbecue correctly, KC 'cue also got its start in this same era. And the city began to celebrate 'cue before it celebrated its jazzier side, so you could say that food was the gateway to self-confidence for the city.

I was just in Kansas, doing a guest chef thing at Jasper's and had lunch at Micheal Smith's new place.

Only just opened.. was FAB!

really nice menu, portion size perfect.

we had a nice prosciutto and melon salad with arugula and an incredible sort of bruschetta.. with toasted whole wheat bread, topped with sauteed mushrooms, melted cheese, sauteed greens and a perfecty poached duck egg ( very Bistro!)

I had the perfect " smithburger" with blue cheese, cooked to perfection perfect fries and a fabulous ale!

no room for dessert.. I cleaned my plate.. but saved room for Christopher Elbow's chocolates.

I love Kansas!

I was just in Kansas, doing a guest chef thing at Jasper's and had lunch at Micheal Smith's new place.

Only just opened.. was FAB!

really nice menu, portion size perfect.

we had a nice prosciutto and melon salad with arugula and an incredible sort of bruschetta.. with toasted whole wheat bread, topped with sauteed mushrooms, melted cheese, sauteed greens and a perfecty poached duck egg ( very Bistro!)

I had the perfect " smithburger" with blue cheese, cooked to perfection perfect fries and a fabulous ale!

no room for dessert.. I cleaned my plate.. but saved room for Christopher Elbow's chocolates.

I love Kansas!

Ahem, Michael Smith is technically in Missouri (although Jasper's and Chef's Smith's previous restaurant, 40 Sardines, are in Kansas). :smile:

Thanks for posting. I too have been in to Michael Smith for lunch, and have found it enjoyable. Did you have any dessert?

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

oops was thinking kansas city!!! know there are the kansas side and the missouri side!

coming from Florence Italy... the borders are not clear!

thanks!

no room for dessert!

wish I did as a former pastry chef, for me it is the most important part of a menu

oops was thinking kansas city!!! know there are the kansas side and the missouri side!

coming from Florence Italy... the borders are not clear!

thanks!

no room for dessert!

wish I did as a former pastry chef, for me it is the most important part of a menu

That's perfectly all right -- you're excused.

I have a rather arch reply for my clueless brethren on the East Coast who respond with "Kansas" when I tell them where I grew up:

"If I were from Kansas City, Kansas, I would have said so."

(And that statement also accurately describes local usage. Still.)

However: Mom was a Jayhawk through and through. The state line remains more blur than line drawn in the sand.

Bluestem report, just too good,

We finally got around the the bluestem brunch a few weekends back. What a great deal! Sundays only, though...

Do you mean Sharp's? or did something else open down there that I've missed?

And since we're talking breakfast... has anyone tried the Aixois breakfast yet?

(Yeah, it's been a long time... I've missed you guys!)

Katje

Come visit my virtual kitchen.

My bad, you are right - Sharp's.

Aixois does breakfast? then I am there the next time I am up which hopefully will be soon.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!