• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Photo tour of Little India

rgruby

I took a bunch of photos in Toronto's Little India (Gerrard St running west (I think) from Coxwell for two or three blocks) just over a year ago. I read somewhere that it is the largest "Little India" in North America. Don't know if that's true or not, as it is actually not that big.

Let's start out with some cookware:

gallery_10897_4889_118092.jpg

gallery_10897_4889_116429.jpg

and looking the other way:

gallery_10897_4889_137524.jpg

Here's Rhea with a really big pot:

gallery_10897_4889_50156.jpg

Now let's look at some of the produce for sale:

I think those are drumsticks in the front:

gallery_10897_4889_305942.jpg

gallery_10897_4889_230285.jpg

gallery_10897_4889_295022.jpg

gallery_10897_4889_10814.jpg

Can't remember what these are called

gallery_10897_4889_240159.jpg

And, one of the the spice shops:

gallery_10897_4889_1702.jpg

gallery_10897_4889_170878.jpg

Being around all those spices and luscious produce can build up your appetite. Time for lunch!:

gallery_10897_4889_231392.jpg

Rhea and her mom, Piyali

gallery_10897_4889_107949.jpg

My Bel poori (spelling)?

gallery_10897_4889_220354.jpg

In Toronto, street food is basically limited to hot dogs. But in Little India you can also find:

Barbecued corn on the cob

gallery_10897_4889_199305.jpg

and tandoori chicken

gallery_10897_4889_251247.jpg - I have my doubts as to whether eithher of those, but especially the chicken, is legal.

Last but not least, a couple of shots of the crew in a sari shop, just to give you a bit more of a flavour of the area:

gallery_10897_4889_289610.jpg

And here's the crew: Piyali, Rachelle, Rhea and friend, and Mel

gallery_10897_4889_228402.jpg

The passage of time since I took these photos has dimmed my memory of the day a bit, but I hope this will give you a bit of a sense at what this neighbourhood is like.

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

Geoff, great photos. We are only a 15 minute drive from Little India and are down there frequently for lunch, dinner and snacks. The fresh sugarcane juice is a refreshing treat and can be found outside a couple different establishments, usually with the grilled corn.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Geoff, great photos.  We are only a 15 minute drive from Little India and are down there frequently for lunch, dinner and snacks.  The fresh sugarcane juice is a refreshing treat and can be found outside a couple different establishments, usually with the grilled corn.

What are some of your favourite places to eat?

I only manage to get down there every couple of years or so - been a while since I ate anything other than what you see here.

BTW - i think the place we stopped for lunch was called Narula.

Oh, I also said I suspected that some of the street eats may be illegal in Toronto. Upon further reflection, I think it may be legal to set up on the sidewalk if youre associated with an adjacent restaurant. So, some of the stands may be legit. And, the law is beinng changed anyhow - which may allow for things like corn on the cob etc.

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

Geoff, great photos.  We are only a 15 minute drive from Little India and are down there frequently for lunch, dinner and snacks.  The fresh sugarcane juice is a refreshing treat and can be found outside a couple different establishments, usually with the grilled corn.

I only manage to get down there every couple of years or so - been a while since I ate anything other than what you see here.

Oh, I also said I suspected that some of the street eats may be illegal in Toronto. Upon further reflection, I think it may be legal to set up on the sidewalk if youre associated with an adjacent restaurant. So, some of the stands may be legit. And, the law is beinng changed anyhow - which may allow for things like corn on the cob etc.

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

It is my understanding that it is legal for them to set up outside their restaurants.....we'll see what happens with the law change.

I like Siddartha quite a bit, we order off the menu, not the buffet, and there is a good dosa place on the opposite corner (sorry can't come up with the name) beside a beautiful sari shop. Just looking at the colour in the windows and the gorgeous material is a treat. We tried Paan down there one day, and I must admit I am NOT a fan, felt like i was eating sand flavoured with perfume, lol. Another place I went to once does a great thali plate.....i'll try and come up with a name. I haven't eaten at Narula I don't think.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

It is my understanding that it is legal for them to set up outside their restaurants.....we'll see what happens with the law change.

I like Siddartha quite a bit, we order off the menu, not the buffet, and there is a good dosa place on the opposite corner (sorry can't come up with the name) beside a beautiful sari shop. Just looking at the colour in the windows and the gorgeous material is a treat. We tried Paan down there one day, and I must admit I am NOT a fan, felt like i was eating sand flavoured with perfume, lol. Another place I went to once does a great thali plate.....i'll try and come up with a name. I haven't eaten at Narula I don't think.

Udupi Palace?