• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Keeping ahead of Zucchini....

zoe b

Here is a recipe I got from another older thread on Zucchini right here on Eg. I usually double the recipe and add chocolate chips. Its really good. The last time I made it, I used half a cup of white whole wheat flour and 1 cup of AP flour.

1 and a 1/2 cups flour

1 cup sugar

2 eggs

1 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp salt

1/8 tsp powder

1/2 tsp soda

1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract

1 pound zucchini coarsely shredded.

1/2 cup canola oil

Makes 1 loaf

Preheat oven to 375, butter a loaf pan, sprinkle with sugar. In a large bowl, whisk the flour, cinn, salt, soda and powder. In a medium bowl, whisk the oil, eggs and sugar. Add zucchini. Stir zucchini batter into dry ingredients . Bake for 50 min, until toothpick comes out clean. Can be frozen for 2 months.

Enjoy

• 3 weeks later...

oh there are some lovely new ideas, I see--just not stock , though, heheh.

and re adding strips to pasta--I threw the strips into the pasta water at the end to cook and then drained --served with pesto sauce--DO NOT DO THIS--it is gross--the zuke became slimy --felt like I was eating something from the compost bucket

Cali--I trust you and if you say the zuke bread is good, I'll try it.

Those Zucchini cakes sound delish, zeffer--and all you who say grilled zukes are the best--i agree--simple and delicious.

My two latest zuke meals have been--

zucchini parmesan--which was excellent--cut 1/2" slices,dipped in beaten egg and then--cornmeal--as the box of bread crumbs that is always on the fridge door wasn't there--baked in hot oven until crisp--smear some OO on baking pan first--turn 1x.

Made a quick sauce with a can of crushed tomatoes, some OO, and garlic, chopped basil--simmered while zukes crisped

spread sauce, layered zukes--the usual way--sprinkled with s&P and lots of parm on each layer--ended with sauce, more parm and a little mozzarella--baked til bubbly.

I was surprised--the zukes stayed crisp and din't leak any water at all--even the hub who'd been dreading this dinner enjoyed it--to the extent that I had to fight him for the leftovers for lunch the next day.

Today I'm making Zuke Vichyssoise--recipe from Epicurious

vichyssoise

it's cooling down right now, but smells good--used scallions instead of leeks, halved the garlic as that seemed like too much, I'll add whole milk instead of half & half.

Zoe

I read Barbara Kingsolver's Animal Vegetable Miracle a few weeks ago. (BTW, I recommend it highly!)

She had a recipe for Disappearing Zucchini Orzo that I'm going to try tonight. Shred zucchini, saute w/ onion. Add thyme, oregano, mix w/ cooked orzo and parmesan cheese.

The recipe is available on her website, Animal Vegetable Miracle.

Edited by onehsancare (log)

Life is short. Eat the roasted cauliflower first.

What bothers me about many "zucchini" recipes is that they call for like 1 cup of shredded zucchini or one small one. When I need zucchini recipes, one small one won't even make a visible dent. So I like these for using LOTS of zucchini:

Zucchini alfredo. Thin strips cut with a vegetable peeler, blanched and drained, and mixed with your favorite alfredo sauce. I was surprised at how good this was.

Other people mentioned zucchini fritters, and I'll add my endorsement. I LOVE these things and they use a cubic blortload of zucchini - and you can use those huge ones that hide under the leaves until they're large enough to use as a canoe before you pick them. Just scoop out all the spongy stuff in the center and shred the outside as usual.

Calabacitas. Sort of like southwestern ratatouille.

Zucchini also makes a fantastic pickle relish. Back when I used to can more people really liked this.

Zucchini frittata/souffle/Impossible Pie. I LOVE the combination of zucchini and eggs. Add a little ham and maybe a dash of onion and I'm in heaven.

Zucchini lasagna. Use layers of zucchini slices in between the meat sauce and cheeses.

Sauteed in butter with garlic, then simmered in white wine, add a chopped tomato, and finish with salt and black pepper. I think this might be my favorite prep of all.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

I'm getting so many new ideas from this thread. In my family, these are our favorites:

Scrambled eggs with thinly sliced zucchini and onions

Grilled zucchini sliced lengthwise topped with red wine vinegrette, basil, and feta

zucchini quartered lengthwise, wrapped in prosiutto and sauteed until crispy

• 8 years later...

BUMP

It's that time again.

Here are my stuffed "babyish" zucchini.  Leftover rice and spinach, Mexican Chorizo sausage sautéed and shredded mozza on a tomato puree base and sprinkled with the rest of the mozza.  Made eight portions.  The sausage is pretty hot.

DSC01540.jpgDSC01542.jpg

• Like 10

For years, I only liked to eat zucchini raw. I found the cooked stuff to be too bitter and the limp, watery, clear-ish flesh to be unappealing. Even breaded and deep fried just did not taste good. But, I recently discovered that I really like roasted, thinly sliced zucchini that has a lot of the moisture cooked out. -Almost tastes like artichokes. I cut them on a mandoline lengthwise to get strips, and lightly season with salt, orgegano, a little rosemary, and drizzle with olive oil. I cook until they shrink and the flesh is no longer clear. I have also done discs and half discs as well.

The cooked strips make a really good lasagna layer, or can replace the lasagna noodles if you like. They are also good in tarts and quiches, since almost all the water is gone, they don't make a dish watery. I recently topped a spinach tart with concentric circles of the half discs which made it look like a flower -there was virtually no shrinkage or movement of the zucchini when the tart was baked, keeping the design intact.

Edited by Lisa Shock (log)
  • Like 6

@Okanagancook  I've declared, for myself, a zucchini challenge this week - Can I serve zucchini every night withour getting bored and without my husband staging a rebellion? Day one is one the dinner thread. Day 2 is cooking as I type - i will post it on the dinner thread when it is done. ( Foil packets of fish, zucchini, tomatoes, garlic and onions on the grill.)

• Like 2

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Those zuc sticks would make for a nice appy, served with a flavoured mayo dip.

cut zucs into 1/2 inch wedges, dip in beaten seasoned egg, roll in bread crumbs/Romano cheese/herbs or chili.  Bake @ 425 bake steam for about 7 to 10 min, just check so they do not get over done....we like them a little crunchy.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ElainaA said:

@Okanagancook  I've declared, for myself, a zucchini challenge this week - Can I serve zucchini every night withour getting bored and without my husband staging a rebellion? Day one is one the dinner thread. Day 2 is cooking as I type - i will post it on the dinner thread when it is done. ( Foil packets of fish, zucchini, tomatoes, garlic and onions on the grill.)

@ElainaA, my favourite side is zucchini sautéed in olive oil with garlic. I cut mine into slices on the diagonal about 3 mm thick, heat oil to medium, add lots of finely chopped garlic, stir once and add zucchini. I keep flipping them around for about 15 or 20 minutes, seasoning with s & p to taste, until they've got some crunchy bits. The garlic might look burnt by this stage, but it lends a caramelised sweetness.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Those zuc sticks would make for a nice appy, served with a flavoured mayo dip.

cut zucs into 1/2 inch wedges, dip in beaten seasoned egg, roll in bread crumbs/Romano cheese/herbs or chili.  Bake @ 425 bake steam for about 7 to 10 min, just check so they do not get over done....we like them a little crunchy.

They look yummy. I also like the same cut painted with EVOO, sprinkled with Parmesan, salt and pepper then into a hot oven for 15 minutes or so. 

• Like 3

Biased sliced about as thick as a nickel, shaken with flour. Shake, or brush off the excess flour. Toss in a watery egg wash and shake in a mixture of seasoned bread crumbs with copious amounts of garlic powder and tajin, Fry ( I use peanut oil in a wok) until golden brown. Drain on a paper towel and serve with aioli. In this picture, it is spicy lime and garlic. Great with cocktails or cold beer.

`

IMG_1489.JPG

Here are some with a lemon, garlic aioli:

IMG_1343.JPG

And some as a breakfast side (they are good with hot sauce too).

HC

IMG_1409.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 8

Possibly the favorite zucchini recipe in this household is fritters, for which my children clamor relentlessly. Grate 3 medium zucchini (should grate out about four cups); add two beaten eggs and a stack of Saltine crackers, crushed into crumbs. (My girls insist they must be either Zesta or Nabisco saltines, no off-brand, and must be salted tops.) Add two beaten eggs. Stir and let sit about 20 minutes. Drain off excess liquid if needed. Shape fritters (I used a measuring cup) and drop into about 1/3 inch of hot oil; fry until golden and flip. Keep on rack in warm oven up to 30 minutes while you prepare the rest of dinner.

The kids want no sauce. I prefer either garlic aioli or comeback sauce. 

I also like to slice them thinly, salt and drain them on paper towels, and fold the strips around ricotta cheese, then top with a tomato sauce and bake. I've done zucchini crisps -- slice very thinly, salt, drain, brush with olive oil, bake on a rack until crispy, salt. Great, but they need to be eaten hot.

I'm contemplating trying to slice, drain and bake some as @Lisa Shock described earlier, then freezing them on the sheet pan, and when frozen, packing them between layers of waxed paper and into a plastic or vacuum bag for longer-term storage. Should work all winter as "noodles."

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• Like 2

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

@HungryChris  Those fried zucchini slices look wonderful. Especially with the beer. (It's hot here today.)

Like @kayb  I really like zucchini fritters. I especially like a Greek version with feta, dill and lemon zest, topped with a dollop of yogurt. It's an old recipe from Epicurious and is on my list for dinner this week.

Our basic fall back is diced zucchini sautéed with onions and garlic, chopped tomatoes and basil added and used as a pasta sauce. If you add sausage it gets even better.

And I really think that this is the best zucchini bread I have ever tasted. I freeze multiple loaves during the zucchini boom for snacking all year. I've got 4 in the freezer so far this year.

Mom’s Zucchini Bread.docx

• Like 5

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

I'm sure it's probably been mentioned but you can make lasagna using thinly sliced (lengthwise) zukes for the noodles/pasta.

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

13 hours ago, Toliver said:

I'm sure it's probably been mentioned but you can make lasagna using thinly sliced (lengthwise) zukes for the noodles/pasta.

Yes Toliver,

Stouffer's used to make a good frozen version that us perpetually dieting girls loved with a salad back years ago. I have not seen it in decades, but I put raw zucchini lengthwise planks sliced a maybe 3/8" thick, so medium thin to me, in lasagna to this day, but also use about half real pasta noodles to please my husband. This is very good.

> ^ . . ^ <

33 minutes ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Yes Toliver,

Stouffer's used to make a good frozen version that us perpetually dieting girls loved with a salad back years ago. I have not seen it in decades, but I put raw zucchini lengthwise planks sliced a maybe 3/8" thick, so medium thin to me, in lasagna to this day, but also use about half real pasta noodles to please my husband. This is very good.

Sigh, I would pay a small fortune for Stouffer's lobster newberg or Stouffer's spinach soufflé.  Or even Stouffer's half a grapefruit or half head of iceberg lettuce.

Not so much zucchini.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

9 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

What does this mean???

Two dishes I dined on frequently as a child in Stouffer's restaurant.  Although, now that I think about it, probably a quarter head of iceberg lettuce.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Two dishes I dined on frequently as a child in Stouffer's restaurant.  Although, now that I think about it, probably a quarter head of iceberg lettuce.

Lucky you! I've heard that the Stouffer's restaurants used to be fabulous and this national brand started very humbly. I'm only familiar with frozen offerings, sadly.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <