• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Next Iron Chef

PDC

Also, Symon could not find fresh truffles in France!  :blink:

Give poor chef Symon a break. It's not like Paris has a "truffle store." Oh wait...

Did they indicate whether the contestants were restricted to shopping exclusively at "Chairman's favorite places" ? It wouldn't surprise me if there was such a rule imposed on them. At least they don't have constant "product placement" like certain other chef contests...

Give poor chef Symon a break. It's not like Paris has a "truffle store." Oh wait...

Did they indicate whether the contestants were restricted to shopping exclusively at "Chairman's favorite places" ? It wouldn't surprise me if there was such a rule imposed on them. At least they don't have constant "product placement" like certain other chef contests...

I thought it was clear they were required to shop at the same places, don't know how they were selected (though knowing that would have been nice). I mean, what are the odds of everyone running into each other at the same store all through the shopping experience if they weren't all going to the same stores? and why would they go to the same stores if given a choice to go elsewhere, particularly Besh, who is probably most familiar.

I thought it was clear they were required to shop at the same places, don't know how they were selected (though knowing that would have been nice). I mean, what are the odds of everyone running into each other at the same store all through the shopping experience if they weren't all going to the same stores? and why would they go to the same stores if given a choice to go elsewhere, particularly Besh, who is probably most familiar.

It was stated that they had to shop at the chairman's favorite places. They then hopped in their van's and sped off to them.

I cannot imagine someone handing me a large wad of cash and letting me loose on Paris. :wacko: I would buy Baguettes, cheese , wine and then beeline to the top of the eiffel tower for a nice lunch.

Edited by RAHiggins1 (log)
Veni Vidi Vino - I came, I saw, I drank.

I too, put it all on Besh for the win. He's classically trained, not afraid of new techniques or ingredients, and is just as happy making a gumbo as with coq au vin.

Plus, he's shaping up to be the next Emeril. Multiple restaurants, a made for TV personality, and mad skills in the kitchen. Symon was already on another FTV show, usually with Sanchez, and I forget the name of it. DiSpirito, Brachman, and other did a rotating kind of thing.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

There were a series of shows filmed France in which each of the 3 Japanese ICs competed at least once. I don't believe these shows were ever shown on FTV. The Japanese IC was Nakamura who preceeded Morimoto. These shows were IC events and very similar to what we saw Sunday. In the Japanese version each IC talked about their relationship with food, we saw them shopping in various locations around France (not necessarily Paris) and then they cooked in the Chariman's Chauteau, which was not unlike the American Ambassador's residence.

If you've seen some of the old Japanese IC segments the NIC episode from Sunday really kind of did harken back to them.

Yes, those were the Battle France episodes, I believe. Absolutely terrific. Although my favorite ep was when Pierre Gargaigne, after losing his resturant and nearly being crushed under the wheel, battled back to defeat the Iron Chef. And promptly broke down in sobs. He has since opened a new resto and is doing well. I think even the Japanese were sobbing with him.

Besh v Batali on ICA in 2006: The battle was Andouille Sausage. Besh won with 55 points to Batali's 49. Granted, Besh has a good deal of familiarity with Andouille, presumably, but besting Mario is a feat not many have achieved regardless of the star ingredient. Based solely on that performance, I'm giving it to Besh also.

Chef Symon went up against Morimoto in Battle Asparagus in 2005. Morimoto won with 53.5 points to Symon's 44 points.

I don't think any of these challenges on TNIC have been good barometers of the chefs' abilities. But Besh seems to have a cool, calm collectedness about him that makes me think he performs really, really well under pressure and makes remarkably delicious food at the same time. And of course, as FistfullofRoux stated, he's got skill and knowledge and experience.

Seems just like boxing, almost. :laugh:

Besh also won some seafood cookoff on FN, representing LA in a battle of coastal states. Paula Deen represented GA.

Anyone else a little miffed that, in next week's previews, they showed the "secret" ingredient? They usually hide it, unless you go hunting for it.

I knew Cosentino was going home because during the commercial break they showed a preview of next weeks show with Besh and Symon.

Yeah, this was annoying... what kind of stupid network gives away the end to the show they are currently airing? I thought you were supposed to build suspense?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I knew Cosentino was going home because during the commercial break they showed a preview of next weeks show with Besh and Symon.

Yeah, this was annoying... what kind of stupid network gives away the end to the show they are currently airing? I thought you were supposed to build suspense?

The same network that allowed the results to leak to the media before the show even aired. :cool:

Since you missed it I won't tell.

Symon was already on another FTV show, usually with Sanchez, and I forget the name of it. DiSpirito, Brachman, and other did a rotating kind of thing.

Was it Melting Pot? I didn't have TVFN at the time it was on but remember hearing about it from others.

Dont see what the excitement is all about, only the original (dubbed in English) was worth watching. Any of the chefs were worthy on any given day although Besh and Symon were perhaps more worthy. What would be worth watching would be having the judges and Alton Brown go through the ordeal and have the chefs give them the business.

Damn. I was so pulling for Besh, but it looks like he seized defeat from the jaws of victory.

Symon is going go to be great, though.

Yeah, we were too. My wife and I were able to eat at Restaurant August a couple of weeks before the NICA series began. The tasting menu opened with a variation on the cold smoked swordfish that he started with tonight. It was one of the most memorable dishes that I have ever eaten. She and I were really pulling for him. All of that to say, I am cannot wait to return to August during Tales of the Cocktail next year. Cheers to John Besh. We're really proud of you.

-Morgan & Stacey Weber

Edited by Morgan_Weber (log)

I was rooting for Symon b/c I've liked a lot of what he's been cooking throughout the series AND I like his personality a lot-esp in comparison to many of those currently on FN, not just on ICA. At the start of the episode, though, I really felt like either of them could have taken this. By the end, it seemed obvious that it just wasn't Besh's night, but I give them both credit. They made it fun to watch, despite the annoying editing--that's for sure!

I will say that I found the (non) secret ingredient boring. Not sure why, but I did. Maybe they intentionally chose a mild-flavored protein so the competitors had the opportunity to play as much/little as they liked? Who knows. Considering we barely saw 30 minutes of actual cooking, I suppose it doesn't matter too much!

Hopefully the FN will find something else for Besh to do; he seems like a good guy and a terrific chef. But Symon's cuter... :wink:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Damn. I was so pulling for Besh, but it looks like he seized defeat from the jaws of victory.

Symon is going go to be great, though.

Yeah, we were too. My wife and I were able to eat at Restaurant August a couple of weeks before the NICA series began. The tasting menu opened with a variation on the cold smoked swordfish that he started with tonight. It was one of the most memorable dishes that I have ever eaten. She and I were really pulling for him. All of that to say, I am cannot wait to return to August during Tales of the Cocktail next year. Cheers to John Besh. We're really proud of you.

-Morgan & Stacey Weber

Granted they were close , but I was disapointed. What really ticked me off was that the way they did the side interviews it seemed clear that Symon had won so I viewed it all in that mindset. All the build up and then they give you not subtle clues .... Between the goofy nephew chairman (I know the history but still he is so superfluous and irritating) and this kind of manipulation I want to say "never again" but if good chefs are around I will probably watch. Wimpy me.

Symon?! :shock:

I was surprised. I bet Besh was surprised, too. I can see where Symon's personality is a bankable commodity, but I didn't realize personality was being judged along with the food. But I'm naive that way.

I'd like to see how Morimoto voted.

Congrats to Symon. I'll enjoy watching him, too.

According to the Plain Dealer, it was Michael and the ICs for Symon, Donatella and Andrew for Besh.

The over-the-top FN pimping part for me was the heralding of the Iron Chefs as America's Best! So declared by a martial arts guy/actor/chairman. I love TV.

Meanwhile, Besh will be on Iconoclasts this season with Wynton Marsalis.