• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Next Iron Chef

PDC

Forgot all about this thread.....I've been so busy scouring the web to find one of those "smoking guns".  For TOTALLY legit purposes of course!  :rolleyes:

If you didn't find it, it's HERE.

Oh man, I was on that very site last night getting sticker shock from the price of a thermal immersion circulator.....little did I know the $50 subject of my original search was on the next page! Now to see if Padma L. has already bought them out.......

As far as the show goes, I was really wanting to like it so much more than I am. I can't put my finger on exactly what isn't working for me, but previous comments about a complete lack of substance are very close. It's nice to see a reality competition where chefs aren't already knee-deep in interpersonal drama, but that doesn't offset the fact that we're not really seeing much food.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

I really enjoyed the last show -- I'm glad that they really challenged them with these techniques that I'm so fascinated with.

I was hoping Richard Blais would walk out :)

Food-wise, though, a lot of things just didn't seem to work. Freeze-dried orange rind? That had to be awful.

Edited by Reignking (log)

I'm still put off a bit by that spoiler. I would like a lot more commenting by the judges about the food - maybe they'll get to that when they have less competitors. Meantime, Bon Appetit Guy is bugging. So maybe it's just Ruhlman's food comments I'd like to hear. Although, come to think of it, we rarely get full comments from the judges on IC. (Well, we sometimes get them commenting on how full they feel.) :wink:

I'd just as soon have Besh win as he's the guy I'd like regularly appearing on my TV. Symon had a FN show in the way-back, even if he had to share it. Can't tell if that's an advantage or not.

Most of you don't remember, but my original title for this thread before it was merged was "Ruhlman to judge FN reality show, will Bourdain finally stop ripping the network?"

Well folks, we have the answer here. In a true shocker, Tony loves the show. What were the odds, huh?

http://blog.ruhlman.com/ruhlmancom/2007/10...ck-of-hair.html

Count me in with the folks who think the show feels rushed and a bit boring. Top Chef Lite.

Bourdain weighs in on NIC on Ruhlman's blog today...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I quite like the show. I will admit the editing is a little much, and I would like more disucssion from the judges. However, finally we get a show that is more about food than drama. Further, considering this is a Food Network production, I'm actually relieved ...think about it ... Rachel Ray could have been a judge :blink::biggrin:

Most of you don't remember, but my original title for this thread before it was merged was "Ruhlman to judge FN reality show, will Bourdain finally stop ripping the network?"

Well folks, we have the answer here.  In a true shocker,  Tony loves the show.  What were the odds, huh?

http://blog.ruhlman.com/ruhlmancom/2007/10...ck-of-hair.html

Count me in with the folks who think the show feels rushed and a bit boring. Top Chef Lite.

See my comment on ruhlman's blog. I said exactly the same thing. He not only loves the show, he says it is "impeccable". We all know tony has a secret desire to return to food network.

One thing that Top Chef did, that TNIC could learn, is to provide more information via blogging.

It was incredibly helpful, for example, to find out that Casey failed the prep challenge because she hadn't sharpened her knives, and not because she didn't know what she was doing. It would be great to get a better breakdown on the details that they can't squeeze into a 1-hour show.

One thing that Top Chef did, that TNIC could learn, is to provide more information via blogging.

It was incredibly helpful, for example, to find out that Casey failed the prep challenge because she hadn't sharpened her knives, and not because she didn't know what she was doing.  It would be great to get a better breakdown on the details that they can't squeeze into a 1-hour show.

There's a little of this on Andrew Knowlton's weekly TNIC blog posts on Epicurious:

http://www.epicurious.com/bonappetit/blogs/editor

Well I'm enjoying the show. I do agree that I'd like to get a better idea of what the chefs are cooking, but at least I don't have to endure a hour padded with reality show drama. Of course, that same drama might make the show more palatable for some, and I dont think it's because people crave scandal. I think the typical reality show format actually gives us characters that we can either root for or against, an incentive to follow the narrative to the end. In my opinion, these shows aren't so much about cooking as they are about establishing celebrities.

It was incredibly helpful, for example, to find out that Casey failed the prep challenge because she hadn't sharpened her knives, and not because she didn't know what she was doing.  It would be great to get a better breakdown on the details that they can't squeeze into a 1-hour show.

There's a little of this on Andrew Knowlton's weekly TNIC blog posts on Epicurious:

http://www.epicurious.com/bonappetit/blogs/editor

Ruhlman comments on his blog, too.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

I think Simon takes it...he and Besh seem like a lock for the final two.

God Andrew Knowlton is so whiny and pissy, what is his deal?

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

I think Simon takes it...he and Besh seem like a lock for the final two.

God Andrew Knowlton is so whiny and pissy, what is his deal?

Oh man, I was wondering the same thing last night. When it came to casting him as a judge, I think the folks at FN must have said..."We need our very own 'Gail', only whinier". When Ruhlman was disagreeing with him last night I half expected him to cover his ears, stamp his feet and scream, "No, no, no, no NO!!!".

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

The pissy petulance of little Mr. Knowlton is discussed at great length at Ruhlman. Basically, I think he was born with his Mr. Rogers cashmere sweater in a bunch, and any self-respecting NYer would drop-kick his whiny little butt across the width of SoHo. You know he'as gotta be bad if he can get the even-tempered Ruhlman riled.

The pissy petulance of little Mr. Knowlton is discussed at great length at Ruhlman.  Basically, I think he was born with his Mr. Rogers cashmere sweater in a bunch, and any self-respecting NYer would drop-kick his whiny little butt across the width of SoHo. 

Bwahahaha! :biggrin: I didn't have anything else to add but that did make me laugh and I do agree.

Next Iron Chef meets Top Chef. That has been my impression of this show and when they pulled out those coolers and went to their out door kitchens that solidified my impression. Fun to just read Bourdain's comments where he says just that.

"They like Top Chef! They like Iron Chef America! Lets make Next Top Iron Chef America"

As for Andrew Knowlton, not my favorite judge but yes we could have gotten RR. :wacko:

The pissy petulance of little Mr. Knowlton is discussed at great length at Ruhlman.  Basically, I think he was born with his Mr. Rogers cashmere sweater in a bunch, and any self-respecting NYer would drop-kick his whiny little butt across the width of SoHo.  

Bwahahaha! :biggrin: I didn't have anything else to add but that did make me laugh and I do agree.

Lmao-even my husband is watching this...his commment was that Knowlton had to be the kid everyone beat up on in grade school :rolleyes:

ksoss

I have to agree, I'd like to see more of the cooking and judging processes. Also I think I find all of the judges slightly annoying. On TC at least the judges "grilled" (ar ar) the contestants to find out what they were thinking or we at least saw more interaction.

I missed the 1st episode but tivo'd the last 2, I can't believe they cut the hoods off. We had the ventilation go down in the galley for a week when I was in the Marines. It was F130º+ in there and man was that a miserable week.

I'm rooting for Besh. It turns out his wife is a good friend of my best friend's sister. The world is such a small place.

Veni Vidi Vino - I came, I saw, I drank.

Besh and Symon will be the final two I think. They have by far out done the competition and seem to have a pretty good grasp what the judges are looking for. It is theirs to lose. As for Knowlton I expected him to take his plate and silverware and go off in a huff. He needs to get the silver spoon out of his ass.

Read Ruhlman's blog, it explains everything. Today's entry has me a little worried tho, I think that by the cryptic wording, we may be losing a favorite chef..........for me, that would be Chef Cosentino or Chef Symon. Allthough, I don't think Chef Symon is leaving just yet, having had the leak about one of his challenges that hasn't occured. I don't believe Chef Sanchez will be allowed to remain for the end of the competition, simply due to Mr. Knowlton's obvious dislike of him, and well, he realy doesn't apear to be as good as some of the others yet. Ahhhhhh, Chef Besh, a fan fave, good ole boy, there is something about him I just don't like. But, definately a great chef and proves it again and again. As much I have a thing for Chef Cosentino, and root for the underdog Sanchez, it realy is down to Chefs Besh and Symon. GO SYMON!!! Whoot, Whoot, Whoot!!!!!

Edited by nonblonde007 (log)

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

I keep getting disappointed by these shows. The producers are clearly more focused on the 'entertainment value' than trying to really find 'the best' Iron Chef or Top Chef or whatever.

No Iron Chef is going to be asked to cook in a yard with no running water and inadequate tools. So, don't do well at such a challenge and off-you-go.

What they need is someone who will perform well in the Iron Chef kitchen and someone with a little personality (ala Batali, Flay, etc.).

No matter my disappointment, I will keep watching, but I do wish the producers could come up with challenges more in sync with what the 'job' they're interviewing for requires.

In terms of how the judges 'grill' them, I am sure the producers had to make some concessions to get quality entrants. None of these people would want to come to something like this to be treated like a person in Hell's Kitchen. They have achieved too much to risk that and accept that.

Watch on!

-Mark-

P.S. Is anybody wondering what the problem is with Food Network that they had to keep extending the deadline for entrants into The Next Food Network Star??? Originally, the deadline was in the spring. Then, they kept accepting applications past the deadline. Then, I just noticed a new deadline in November. Could it be possible that they couldn't fine 25 decent people to choose from with over 1000 entries?????

---------------------------------------------------------

"If you don't want to use butter, add cream."

Julia Child

No matter my disappointment, I will keep watching, but I do wish the producers could come up with challenges more in sync with what the 'job' they're interviewing for requires.

I know! I keep saying I'm not going to watch again yet there I am searching for the next episode on TiVo....

With the grill and airline challenge they're definitely copying Top Chef.

Knowlton annoys worse than TC's Gail. I didn't think it was possible.

I wish they'd gotten Jeffrey Steingarten to judge. I love his commentary on ICA.

I know! I keep saying I'm not going to watch again yet there I am searching for the next episode on TiVo....

With the grill and airline challenge they're definitely copying Top Chef.

Knowlton annoys worse than TC's Gail. I didn't think it was possible.

I wish they'd gotten Jeffrey Steingarten to judge. I love his commentary on ICA.

I wish they had Steingarten too, instead of the mop-top dude who got his lunch money stolen one too many times in th schoolyard. The argument over the mushrooms was hilarious. I was just waiting for him start saying, "well, I'm rubber and you're glue....you're not the boss of me..etc"

I'm dissappointed that a local chef, Chef Morou, got booted already. He deserved to stay more than the escargo on a skewer chef. I mean, his food doesn't touch. Is that such a bad thing? :wacko: