• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Next Iron Chef

PDC

The eight Iron Chef hopefuls as per USA Today are:

John Besh (New Orleans), executive chef, Restaurant August, Besh Steak, Luke and La Provence

Chris Cosentino (San Francisco), executive chef, Incanto

Jill Davie (Santa Monica, Calif.), executive chef, Josie

Traci Des Jardins (San Francisco), executive chef and co-owner, Jardiniere, Mijita and Acme Chophouse

Gavin Kaysen (San Diego), chef de cuisine, El Bizcocho at the Rancho Bernardo Inn

Morou Ouattara (Washington, D.C.), executive chef and owner, Farrah Olivia

Aaron Sanchez (New York), executive chef and owner, Centrico and Paladar

Michael Symon (Cleveland), executive chef and owner, Lola and Lolita.

6 of the 8 have been on the show before -- Besh and Des Jardins have both won (against Batali). Sanchez tied Morimoto. Symon, Cosentino, and Morou lost.

Odd, I'd read here in the Houston Chronicle that Robert Gadsby had left his position here at NOE to pursue the "Next Iron Chef" competition among other things. Don't see him on the list.

At least they're making some sense in picking a new iron chef this time. As opposed to the debacale this is cat cora

Are they replacing a current Iron Chef?

from eater:

The Food Network is in production on The Next Iron Chef, a reality show on which -- see if you can follow along with us -- the next Iron Chef, to be chef #5 along side Batali, Flay, Morimoto and Cora, will be selected by the judging panel of Michael Ruhlman (noted food writer), Andrew Knowlton (Restaurant Editor of Bon Appétit magazine) and Donatella Arpaia (NY restaurateur).

At least they're making some sense in picking a new iron chef this time. As opposed to the debacale this is cat cora

So true. She has yet to impress me as being of Iron Chef caliber. It is good to see a woman up there, just not her. I look forward to the competition for a new Iron Chef. I wish they had done that before Cora was brought aboard.

• 1 month later...

I think I'll take Batali's word over the New York Post's rumor mill. Thank you Pat Kiernan!

"I’m taping two episodes of Iron Chef America in a few weeks. I’m the best Iron Chef, why would I quit? And why would I threaten the network? Molto Mario’s been out of production for two-and-a-half years. We have a fine relationship."

Speaking of fine, they're rerunning all sorts of old Food Network classics like Molto Mario on Fine Living. I had no idea they were related.

Ruhlman alone will get me to watch Next Iron Chef America, which may actually get me to start watching Iron Chef America. I have trouble getting into it, it's not as enjoyable as the subtitled originals on Fuji TV.

To hell with poverty! We'll get drunk on cheap wine - Gang of Four

Ruhlman alone will get me to watch Next Iron Chef America, which may actually get me to start watching Iron Chef America.  I have trouble getting into it, it's not as enjoyable as the subtitled originals on Fuji TV.

I love the Japanese version when they dubbed it, it was like watching a bad Hong Kong action flick. What really got me was they even dubbed the laughter, having some American woman giggle as the Japanese women covered their mouths to laugh.

That was always fun to watch.

With Ruhlmann on the show, I might actually go ahead and unblock Food Network on my cable box.

Cheers! :cool:

• 4 weeks later...
I'm rooting for Gavin--had the pleasure of meeting him and he is a class guy. Very humble, very talented.

I can say the same for Chris Cosentino and Aaron Sanchez. I suspect that they are all pretty talented. It should be an interesting competition.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I wonder if anyone will mention the Michael Symon and Ruhlman Connection.  It is Michael Symon that hosted Ruhlman in his restaurant for "the soul of a chef" am i right? :unsure:

I believe you are correct. Interesting, though he is probably at least acquainted with most of the chefs in the competition.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I believe you are correct. Interesting, though he is probably at least acquainted with most of the chefs in the competition.

That might be so but he is much more than acquainted with Symon. I believe he attended his wedding and cooked with him for several months. Just food for thought

Edited by mexigaf (log)

My food and ideas CookDiegoCook

Talk about FUN to watch...!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Watching the first episode right now, how much are they trying to rip off Top Chef!? Im losing patience! lol You'd think as cutting edge food network can be, they'd not mirror another networks show. (grr)

Eh, cool to see Rhulman, one of my favorite writers and all the chefs competing are bad asses.

I'm definitely not one to defend the FN (esp these days), but aren't all of these reality/competition shows based on the same model? I haven't watched enough of them to know, but think Survivor, The Apprentice, Project Runway, et al. Doesn't someone always get cut while the others 'survive' to the next challenge/week?

ETA: I thought it was fun to see professionals having a good time while working their butts off!

Edited by Curlz (log)

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I'm definitely not one to defend the FN (esp these days), but aren't all of these reality/competition shows based on the same model? 

The ICA and TC models are derived from the ACF Master Chef Rating certification - you can read about it in Ruhlman's book, The Soul of a Chef.

Watching the first episode right now, how much are they trying to rip off Top Chef!? Im losing patience! lol You'd think as cutting edge food network can be, they'd not mirror another networks show. (grr)

Eh, cool to see Rhulman, one of my favorite writers and all the chefs competing are bad asses.

It didn't feel like a Top Chef rip off to me. In fact, I kept wishing Top Chef had done great challenges like this rather than some of the ridiculously inane ones they did with insufficient resources.

I think the one thing that IC was clear about was that they were looking for someone who could project a personal identity, style and "voice" with their food. TC didn't appear to be as much about skill as it did about playing a game with an often bazaar set of parameters. IC is pretty straightforward.

I loved watching the chefs break down the raw components, and I loved that they docked them for errors. A big part of IC, especially the original Japanese version, were the wild and often wacky desserts and ice creams made from the theme ingredient. So tonights challenge was very much in keeping with the history and spirit of IC.

On TC 4 I'd much rather watch chefs doing a challenge like this than feeding Padma in bed.

It didn't feel like a Top Chef rip off to me. In fact, I kept wishing Top Chef had done great challenges like this rather than some of the ridiculously inane ones they did with insufficient resources.

I think the one thing that IC was clear about was that they were looking for someone who could project a personal identity, style and "voice" with their food. TC didn't appear to be as much about skill as it did about playing a game with an often bazaar set of parameters. IC is pretty straightforward.

I loved watching the chefs break down the raw components, and I loved that they docked them for errors. A big part of IC, especially the original Japanese version, were the wild and often wacky desserts and ice creams made from the theme ingredient. So tonights challenge was very much in keeping with the history and spirit of IC.

On TC 4 I'd much rather watch chefs doing a challenge like this than feeding Padma in bed.

That is one reason I really don't follow Top Chef much. The challenges are really not what I would expect to find to determine who is a "top chef". This show looks good. I found myself getting ticked at the equipment in there. I seemed nothing worked. Right now I am rooting for Besh.....

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child