• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

American Restaurateur Paris, In New York

freshsnail

Hello E Gullet New York,

I am somewhat familiar with the France section of egullet as I have been written up a bunch of times.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST...=0#entry1312105

I am an 'expat' American with a restaurant in Paris.

I thought you all might have good insight into what I shouldn't

miss in New York.

I like to eat everything from pastrami sandwiches to caviar. Money is not as much a part of the equation as quality, authenticity and fun. I've eaten (and worked) in several Michelin 3 stars so I think I know what's up. I'm not a critic... I like to enjoy myself. Eat and drink well.

Do I need to bring a jacket and a tie to New York?

I will be coming to NY (a gift for my waitress who has more than earned it) on July 22 and then to Chicago (my home town.... any help there would also be appreciated!).

Thanks Egulleters

Daniel Rose

www.springparis.blogspot.com

freshsnail@free.fr

bring a jacket for:

Jean-Georges, Per Se, Masa, Eleven Madison Park.

also consider Yasuda, Momofuku Ssam Bar, Esca, Peter Luger, Craft, Babbo, WD-50.

edit:

for Chicago: Alinea, Moto, Tru, Blackbird, Avec, Frontera Grill.

Edited by Nathan (log)

I'd recommend Blue Hill (or even Blue Hill at Stonebarns); Momofuku Ssam; Il Posto Accanto (wonderful little wine bar that is great for Sunday brunch or weeknight dinner); Babbo (I mean, why not do the Batali thing as long as you're here); the Bar Room at the Modern; Per Se; Katz's; the union square greenmarket (our tiny little version of the markets all over Paris, but probably interesting for you); Strip House (my favorite for steak); Little Pepper (sichuan in Flushing, Queens); Sripraphai (Thai in Woodside, Queens) and Frannies (pizza in Brooklyn).

If you have specific categories definitely ask.

In Chicago Alinea is a can't miss. I found my dinner at Moto to be too sweet for my liking, but others disagree.

All the above suggestions are very good. I would also recommend Yakitori Totto (55th and Bway) for something you likely wouldn't have in Paris. It's fun, has great food and is open really late, like 3 AM if I remember correctly.

All the above suggestions are very good.  I would also recommend Yakitori Totto (55th and Bway) for something you likely wouldn't have in Paris. It's fun, has great food and is open really late, like 3 AM if I remember correctly.

there apparently are a couple izakaya and yakitori places in Paris:

Isse and Sushicho.

how similar their menus are to those in NY I don't know.

Hello E Gullet New York,

I am somewhat familiar with the France section of egullet as I have been written up a bunch of times.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST...=0#entry1312105

I am an 'expat' American with a restaurant in Paris.

I thought you all might have good insight into what I shouldn't

miss in New York.

I like to eat everything from pastrami sandwiches to caviar.  Money is not as much a part of the equation as quality, authenticity and fun.  I've eaten (and worked) in several Michelin 3 stars so I think I know what's up.  I'm not a critic... I like to enjoy myself.  Eat and drink well.

Do I need to bring a jacket and a tie to New York?

I will be coming to NY (a gift for my waitress who has more than earned it) on July 22 and then to Chicago (my home town.... any help there would also be appreciated!).

Thanks Egulleters

Daniel Rose

www.springparis.blogspot.com

freshsnail@free.fr

I recall John's review from when he first posted it. He doesn't rave like that often.

I have a few questions for you. First, how long will you be in NYC and Chicago? What are you looking for in a meal? Are you looking for something totally different from what you do or are you looking to stay in a comfort zone?

Alinea in Chicago is a must. Like BryanZ, Alinea is my favorite restaurant in the US. It is also a favorite of people who like Vanguardist cooking and those who don't. If you do, then WD-50 in NYC is a must. If you don't and your time is limited, you might go elsewhere. I love it. It is by far the most "creative" restaurant in NYC and one of the most in the US. Another restaurant that tends to wow both Vanguardistas and not is Blue Hill at Stone Barns. It is modern cooking with pristine ingredients. Based on my interpretation of John's write-up of Spring, I suspect that it is stylistically similar to your own. It might be an interesting comparison for you.

I'll respond more depending on your answers.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

It is also a favorite of people who like Vanguardist cooking and those who don't. If you do, then WD-50 in NYC is a must. If you don't and your time is limited, you might go elsewhere. I love it. It is by far the most "creative" restaurant in NYC and one of the most in the US. Another restaurant that tends to wow both Vanguardistas and not is Blue Hill at Stone Barns.

Is "Vanguardist" the new avant garde which was the new molecular gastronomy? Is the food getting so innovative that it can't be captured by a term that lasts for more than 3 months? I'm a big fan of the cooking, but the words are getting a little too post-modern for my taste.