• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thin Ginger Snaps

beacheschef

Does anyone have a great recipe for thin ginger snap cookies?

A customer wants me to duplicate Anna's Ginger Thins - which are pretty teriffic!

Tonight I made Flo Braker's Sweet Miniatures recipe for Bittersweet Gingersnaps (without the chocolate dip), and will bake that batter off tomorrow.

Any recommendations?

Beaches Pastry

May your celebrations be sweet!

Beaches Pastry Blog

A customer wants me to duplicate Anna's Ginger Thins - which are pretty teriffic!

Tonight I made Flo Braker's Sweet Miniatures recipe for Bittersweet Gingersnaps (without the chocolate dip), and will bake that batter off tomorrow.

Any recommendations?

Check this one out...I developed it for a "foiereo" recipe where I sandwiched a mousse of foie gras between 2 crisps. If you bake them right, they are really crispy with a nice color....if you want a killer sherry-brown sugar cured foie gras mousse recipe, let me know.

Ginger Snaps For "Foiereo"

yields 24 3 cm cookies

Ingredients

1lb unsalted butter at room temperature

1.25 cup brown sugar

1.25 cup white sugar

1 tsp vanilla

2/3 cup molasses

4 eggs

6 cups APF

5 tsp baking soda

1 tsp salt

5 tsp cinnamon dust*

5 tsp candied ginger dustified*

1 tsp black or pink peppercorns ground*

1 tsp lavender flowers ground*

1 tsp orange zest minced fine*

Method

• Cream butter, both sugars and vanilla together in a “kitchen aide” on high speed with a paddle attachment.

• Slowly drizzle in molasses while beating on slow speed.

• Add your eggs one at a time and beat on medium- high speed

• Whisk together flour, soda and salt and add any or all * “flavorings”

• On slow speed add flour mixture gradually until a dough is just formed.

• Remove from the machine and knead gently for one minute to bring it together, but be careful not to overwork it and form too many gluten strands.

Flatten the dough into a disk 1 cm in height, wrap in plastic and Let rest for about 30 minutes in the fridge.

• Preheat your oven to 375F

• Roll the dough from the center out and cut into desired shape.

• Bake until edges start to turn golden, remove from oven then flip and let relax until cool. Keep in an airtight container for a week...then bake some more!

I'd rather live in a world without truffles than in a world without onions.

....if you want a killer sherry-brown sugar cured foie gras mousse recipe, let me know.

I'd like to see that recipe please.

Edited by Keith Orr (log)

There's a Martha Stewart recipe for Lemon Scented Ginger Almond Crisps that are delicious. You could eliminate the almonds and play around with the flavours (my favourite Anna's are orange-ginger).