• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ACF's Culinary Salon competition in Orlando

joshalow

I've signed up to compete in the cake competition (only the cake competition) at the ACF's convention coming up in Orlando next week. It is my first time competing at this specific event. I have been looking, without much success, for info on the net about it, ie. others' experiences, so I can have an idea of what to expect. Any advice, or information about what to expect would be greatly appreciated. TIA

I've signed up to compete in the cake competition (only the cake competition) at the ACF's convention coming up in Orlando next week. It is my first time competing at this specific event.  I have been looking, without much success,  for info on the net about it, ie. others' experiences, so I can have an idea of what to expect. Any advice, or information about what to expect would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Hi You need to find out exactly what category you are competing in. Then go to acfchefs.org and download the rules for that category. In general if this is a normal ACF competition i would say that taste will be close to 50% of your score. there will also be alot of your score devoted to how you work and your workspace. You need to work cleanly. Your finished cake will only be part of your score.

good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your response. I really appreciated it. I got a Bronze medal for my wedding cake]My entry

gallery_16786_4915_79716.jpg

I expected the judges to cut into my cake to taste it, but they didn't although the one judge stated that I should have cut out a slice, or have another cake to the side with slices cut out for them to taste. I took it for granted they would do the cutting themselves :) Overall, I enjoyed the experience.

That is really beautiful! Great job - and especially for your first competition. I'd love to hear more about the competition itself - what were the surprises (besides cutting), what was the competition like, the work conditions, etc?