• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Irritating Server Habits

gfweb

If you're bringing me a new drink, please make sure you take the glass from the one I've finished with you when you leave. Practically nothing makes me crazier than a server who leaves finished glassware on the table.

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

If you're bringing me a new drink, please make sure you take the glass from the one I've finished with you when you leave. Practically nothing makes me crazier than a server who leaves finished glassware on the table.

I'm sure there are people with the exact opposite view here, complaining that the server takes their glass before they are fully finished and the ice cubes have been vacuumed clean. I, on the other hand, like to drink enough that I don't care whether I am finished or not... :biggrin:

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

I am annoyed by servers who haven't the ability or cannot summon the will to disengage themselves from overly friendly diners who want to converse with the server about things other than the food. I don't know how many times my beverage, food or check has been held up because a server was unable to slip away from the customer who wants to be a pal. Of course, it is the diner who is most at fault here but the servers need to develop tactful ways of escaping so that they can take care of others for whom they are responsible.

I kind of like when they leave my glasses ..it keeps me aware of how many drinks I have had!!! :rolleyes:

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

When I sit down, here's when I know I'm in a GOOD place:

- water that's cool but not cold is served in a clear glass. I hate all that ice that numbs my taste buds and hide all the salt that the chef has used as a cheap way to flavor a dish.

- there's a separate drink menu that stays on the table. i hate trying to get the menu again or try to remember what's on it to order another drink.

- my server waits just the right amount of time to head over and ask us if we would like to start with some beverages. they wait until they have actually looked at the DRINK menu.

- my server returns with the drinks and gives us the option of ordering some starters at that time or giving us more time.

- our order is taken, and if we don't order starters, we don't get that "glance of disappointment" and make us feel bad that we're not ordering enough food. if we want to share a plate we're also not looked down upon.

- before our food arrives we're given the option of more drinks. our water glasses are full when our food arrives.

- when our food arrives, we're asked if we need anything else right at that moment(ketchup, mustard, etc.)

- we get the check-back AFTER we've sampled the food.

- our water glasses are checked partly through the meal. nothing worse than having a spicy dish and running out of water mid-way.

- dishes are cleared when everybody has stopped eating. But i hate it when the dish-clearing process is overly involved because if we're just going to leave, we don't want to sit and watch the server clear the table...they can do that on their own time. but this is just a personal pet peeve and I know my opinion is outside the norm.

- we're asked if we left room for dessert. that way if we say no there's no hard feelings.

- i really like it when ANYBODY from the staff goes out of their way to say Thank You as we leave.

I had to respond to this one, as well as a few points that were made in other's posts.

I wonder if any of you have waited tables, AND whether or not these are chain restaurants.

I waited tables in a LOT of chains for a LOT of years, and I think there is a lot of irritation being caused by the waitstaff, and that the public is COMPLETELY UNAWARE that the management and corporporate "policies" of these chains DEMAND of their servers. There is ONE way to do everything right, and if you do it any other way than that, you actually get in trouble. Let me share with you a few of these things.

1. You are required to take people's orders in a particular pattern based on the seating at the table or booth. If the lady is not sitting in "seat #1," you have to take the orders in the wrong order and then go away and re-write the ticket before you present it or enter it. The kitchen plates up the orders based on Seat #1 being the first seat to your right as you stand and face the table, for example. So if you were sitting on the left at a 4-top, you would be seat 4. I would have to take your order and make sure I knew that was Seat #4 when I wrote it down, then take all the other orders in the right order. Then, when I enter it into the computer or re-write the ticket, I'd have to take the time to enter everything in the correct order. You get in trouble if someone runs your food and the food for seat #1 is not actually for the person sitting in seat #1.

2. Pepper mills and cheese graters are always in extremely short supply. It's not the waitstaff's fault that there may be only one, or perhaps 2 and one is broken or missing, and that the management will not buy another one. Everyone has to share what's available. If you take the mill and leave it on the table, the other servers get pissed at you when they go to find it where it normally lives and it's not there. they would march up to the hostess and ask who has table #X and then go find you, probably in the middle of another duty, and tell you to PLEASE GO GET THE PEPPER MILL OFF TABLE X AS MY PEOPLE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR IT FOR 5 MINUTES NOW. You have to share everything, while still trying to provide the customer what they want. The only way to do this is to grind it for them so you can put it back immediately, lest you face the wrath of other servers. And let me tell you, you don't want that.

3. In chain restaurants, you get into big trouble if you do not approach a table within 30 seconds of sitting down to welcome them and ask for their bev. order. Professional people come in and surreptitiously pose as customers and do "shops" of restaurants, and they grade the server on all the steps of service, and this is the first one. You get docked points if you don't, for example, greet them within 30 seconds, remove empty plates as soon as they are empty (they call it "cleaning as you go"), BRING the dessert tray out to them INSTEAD of asking if they've saved room for dessert (you actually aren't allowed to ask - you have to bring the tray as they say once the customer SEES the dessert, they're more likely to order it), etc. You get in trouble if there are dirty/empty plates or glasses on the table. You're told to clear them immediately, as people finish.

4. The glance of disapproval if you don't get an app, or if you don't get alcohol, or another round of drinks, or if you ask to split an entree, is because a server is "graded" on their check average per table. At the end of the night, the computer report will tell you how much you averaged per person at each table. When the number is low, the management yells at you and tells you you have to get your check average up; this is done by pushing the extras, and hard - apps, alcohol/refills, add-ons like mushrooms or onions or loaded potatoes and desserts. Obviously you have the right to get what you want, but sometimes in the middle of a busy, stressful service when you've been taken to task for a week straight because of your low check average, it's hard not to flinch or show disappointment when another table just wants to get the most inexpensive item on the menu, only water to drink and they want to split the entree. You can actually get let go for low check average.

These are just a few off the top of my head.

Oh - to another previous poster's point, they also require you to ask every new table if they've been to the restaurant before. there are two different "scripts" - one for new customers and one for returning customers and you're supposed to immediately ascertain which your table is.

- water that's cool but not cold is served in a clear glass. I hate all that ice that numbs my taste buds and hide all the salt that the chef has used as a cheap way to flavor a dish.

- there's a separate drink menu that stays on the table. i hate trying to get the menu again or try to remember what's on it to order another drink.

- my server waits just the right amount of time to head over and ask us if we would like to start with some beverages. they wait until they have actually looked at the DRINK menu.

- my server returns with the drinks and gives us the option of ordering some starters at that time or giving us more time.

- our order is taken, and if we don't order starters, we don't get that "glance of disappointment" and make us feel bad that we're not ordering enough food. if we want to share a plate we're also not looked down upon.

- before our food arrives we're given the option of more drinks. our water glasses are full when our food arrives.

- when our food arrives, we're asked if we need anything else right at that moment(ketchup, mustard, etc.)

- our water glasses are checked partly through the meal. nothing worse than having a spicy dish and running out of water mid-way.

- dishes are cleared when everybody has stopped eating. But i hate it when the dish-clearing process is overly involved because if we're just going to leave, we don't want to sit and watch the server clear the table...they can do that on their own time. but this is just a personal pet peeve and I know my opinion is outside the norm.

- we're asked if we left room for dessert. that way if we say no there's no hard feelings.

- i really like it when ANYBODY from the staff goes out of their way to say Thank You as we leave.

I had to respond to this one, as well as a few points that were made in other's posts.

I wonder if any of you have waited tables, AND whether or not these are chain restaurants.

I waited tables in a LOT of chains for a LOT of years, and I think there is a lot of irritation being caused by the waitstaff, and that the public is COMPLETELY UNAWARE that the management and corporporate "policies" of these chains DEMAND of their servers. There is ONE way to do everything right, and if you do it any other way than that, you actually get in trouble. Let me share with you a few of these things.

1. You are required to take people's orders in a particular pattern based on the seating at the table or booth. If the lady is not sitting in "seat #1," you have to take the orders in the wrong order and then go away and re-write the ticket before you present it or enter it. The kitchen plates up the orders based on Seat #1 being the first seat to your right as you stand and face the table, for example. So if you were sitting on the left at a 4-top, you would be seat 4. I would have to take your order and make sure I knew that was Seat #4 when I wrote it down, then take all the other orders in the right order. Then, when I enter it into the computer or re-write the ticket, I'd have to take the time to enter everything in the correct order. You get in trouble if someone runs your food and the food for seat #1 is not actually for the person sitting in seat #1.

2. Pepper mills and cheese graters are always in extremely short supply. It's not the waitstaff's fault that there may be only one, or perhaps 2 and one is broken or missing, and that the management will not buy another one. Everyone has to share what's available. If you take the mill and leave it on the table, the other servers get pissed at you when they go to find it where it normally lives and it's not there. they would march up to the hostess and ask who has table #X and then go find you, probably in the middle of another duty, and tell you to PLEASE GO GET THE PEPPER MILL OFF TABLE X AS MY PEOPLE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR IT FOR 5 MINUTES NOW. You have to share everything, while still trying to provide the customer what they want. The only way to do this is to grind it for them so you can put it back immediately, lest you face the wrath of other servers. And let me tell you, you don't want that.

3. In chain restaurants, you get into big trouble if you do not approach a table within 30 seconds of sitting down to welcome them and ask for their bev. order. Professional people come in and surreptitiously pose as customers and do "shops" of restaurants, and they grade the server on all the steps of service, and this is the first one. You get docked points if you don't, for example, greet them within 30 seconds, remove empty plates as soon as they are empty (they call it "cleaning as you go"), BRING the dessert tray out to them INSTEAD of asking if they've saved room for dessert (you actually aren't allowed to ask - you have to bring the tray as they say once the customer SEES the dessert, they're more likely to order it), etc. You get in trouble if there are dirty/empty plates or glasses on the table. You're told to clear them immediately, as people finish.

4. The glance of disapproval if you don't get an app, or if you don't get alcohol, or another round of drinks, or if you ask to split an entree, is because a server is "graded" on their check average per table. At the end of the night, the computer report will tell you how much you averaged per person at each table. When the number is low, the management yells at you and tells you you have to get your check average up; this is done by pushing the extras, and hard - apps, alcohol/refills, add-ons like mushrooms or onions or loaded potatoes and desserts. Obviously you have the right to get what you want, but sometimes in the middle of a busy, stressful service when you've been taken to task for a week straight because of your low check average, it's hard not to flinch or show disappointment when another table just wants to get the most inexpensive item on the menu, only water to drink and they want to split the entree. You can actually get let go for low check average.

Three chhers for explanining the corporate mentality that is one of the biggest problems in the hospitality business these day.

And in defense of servers, customers can be a real pain in the ass. I eat out all the time and I make a point of watching other tables. Customers can be rude, uneducated and slobs. I'm embarrassed to be a human being sometimes after seeing how other customers act.

And if management doesn't take the time to train well, every one suffers.

Thank you for this excellent explanatory post. It serves to coroborate one of the reasons I generally don't like dining at chain restaurants.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Thank you for posting on the stresses that a server in a chain restaurant has to cope with in the name of shareholder profits.

While not an issue with servers I have another reason that I despise certain chains. Red Robin is a great example of a place where they believe that the correct level of sound is that level which prevents normal conversation for the guests. When I can't hear the server ask questions about choices of sides and such something is wrong. Simply because of the noise level I avoid most chains. I guess I really am getting old - at least in public. I still crank up my music where others don't have to share in it.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Last Night I ate at a popular, and highly regarded and reviewed sushi restaurant outside Chicago. It wasnt overly busy, but The service, was extremly lacking. Now I dont know what it is, but 9 times outta 10 when I go to a sushi joint, the service is bad. It doesnt matter the caliber of the restaurant either, they all seam to be the same. One of my pet peeves is when Dishes come out to the table, one at a time, so you dont wanna be rude to your guests and start eating until they all have theyre food. Last night I dined with 4 friends, and it took 5 minutes for the dishes to "trickle" out to the table, so I recieved my sushi first, while they patiently waited. Also, the appetizers came, 10 minutes after the entrees, and one of the rolls was not what I ordered. This is a very highly regarded establishment, and the sushi was undoubtedly phenominal, but the service was horrid. Does anyone find that when they eat at sushi restaurants as well, that the entrees are staggered in coming out, and the service extremly lacking? or is this just me?

"Its never to late to be what you might have been" - George Elliot

Yup. I can see the kitchen and the sushi bar not being perfectly coordinated, but it is rare for the kitchen to coordinate with itself in these places.

How about a pet peeve about message boards: copying a huge, lengthy entry (or worse, photos) over and over above your own response so everyone has to scroll forever to get the next message. How's that for bitchy? (insert smiley face....)

I agree with a lot of these responses, and more. To the poster who said he/she hates it when the server touches the glass rim, what about when they set the table holding the tines of the fork? Hate that. Or the dishwasher that doesn't remove lipstick from the rim. Gross. I've had to send a glass back three times because there was the ghost of the previous drinker's lips on there.

Also, when I order the wine and the server pours it for my husband to test. Or puts the cheque in front of my husband or other male guest and I'm buying. That's happened when I've taken a male client out to lunch and the server assumes. Embarrassing for all.

Music that's not only loud but totally wrong for the room. Why can't they survey the clientele and figure out older folks don't necessarily groove to Guns 'N' Roses at ear-splitting decibels?

Asking if you'd like another drink when your glass is still half full.

This one cracks me up more than annoys me (well, depending on my mood): my plate is empty with the exception of a piece of parsley and my napkin and the server asks if I'm finished with it. Well, I thought I might nibble the plate a little later, so no, please leave it!

One of my biggest pet peeves: When you've put money down with the check and it's obvious you need money back...like, say, the check is for 11.00 and you put down a 20 and the server asks you if you need change back.

Uh, yes, please. No matter how fantastic a server you are, don't ever assume you're getting a tip...and before we get into a discussion about how servers live on tips (i know, believe me!)...IT'S JUST PLAIN RUDE TO DO IT THIS WAY!

Just say 'thanks, i'll be back with your change in a minute."

phewsh. that had been on my chest a while.

thanks...

This didn't annoy me, but I found it very unusual.

I was at some chain like Applebee's or something with 3 others and the server actually squatted down near the table and was below our eye level. (Odd?)  Then he took our orders without writing anything down. Everything came out just right when the food was delivered.

Unusual, huh?

Something similar like that happened to me and friends at P.F.Changs. The guy squated there trying to chat us up while resting his chin on his fist on the table as he was concocting some sort of oriental dip just under his nose. YUK!

The "squatting" thing is very commonplace. Servers are told that if they do this, it makes the guests feel like you are informal and coming "down" to their physical level instead of standing 'above' them. "They" say that if you do this, they feel more comfortable with you, that you seem more approachable and 'just like them,' which means better rapport, which means better tip. It's all a game.

The "squatting" thing is very commonplace.  Servers are told that if they do this, it makes the guests feel like you are informal and coming "down" to their physical level instead of standing 'above' them.  "They" say that if you do this, they feel more comfortable with you, that you seem more approachable and 'just like them,' which means better rapport, which means better tip.  It's all a game.

HAH ! Apparently a game that we aren't playing. I wonder if "they"'d get the picture that we all find it odd, over-familiar and off-putting, rather than endearing. No bigger tip, for sure !

One of my biggest pet peeves: When you've put money down with the check and it's obvious you need money back...like, say, the check is for 11.00 and you put down a 20 and the server asks you if you need change back.

Uh, yes, please. No matter how fantastic a server you are, don't ever assume you're getting a tip...and before we get into a discussion about how servers live on tips (i know, believe me!)...IT'S JUST PLAIN RUDE TO DO IT THIS WAY!

Just say 'thanks, i'll be back with your change in a minute."

phewsh. that had been on my chest a while.

thanks...

I haven't been a server in over 30 years, so when I was paying in cash was more common than using a credit card. However, the reason many servers ask is not about the tip, but rather about getting to the register/station/whatever. If you are not expecting anything back, they can put off haveing to ring it up for a little while if there is a bottle neck at the register. Many restaurants make all the checks go thru one station and if there are several checks being processed and the server doesn't have to get your change back to you right away, they can process the credit cards and return them and process yours when they have more time.

As a guest, I normally pay in cash (or leave the tip in cash) and if I don't expect change back I tell the server that when they pick it up.

I love reading all these contradicting irritations! One person hates having the table cleared while people are still eating (do you want to stare at dirty plates for half an hour?) or they hate plates that are stacked while being cleared and the next person stacks his used plates at the end of the table to be cleared.

99% of these things are non-issues for those of us who aren't OCD. If they ask if you want change, just say "yes". Problem solved. If they crouch next to you or touch you, just ask them not to! Are you so shy or non-confrontational that you can't set your own comfort zone when you don't like something?

Not to mention most of the things people hate about thier servers cannot be controlled by their servers, but are more of the stupid company or management policy.

I had to deal with these issues as a teen sacking groceries. We weren't allowed to accept tips so when we declined, most people felt offended and ended up getting pissed. Another thing was a worthless "check card" that was like the modern discount card, except you had to have one to use a check at the store. Obviously if you're just passing through, you don't want to spend 30 minutes at the service desk filling out forms and most just left their groceries and walked off. I'm just saying, if you don't like something bring it up instead of being passive-aggresive and whining on a bulleting board. You might institute change that everyone enjoys. Heck, write to corporate if it's a chain. You'll even get some coupons out of the deal!

Other than being completely ignored or bothered every 2 minutes and of course hygenic issues, there really isn't a whole lot to complain about here...

Edited by porkfat (log)

thanks...

I haven't been a server in over 30 years, so when I was paying in cash was more common than using a credit card. However, the reason many servers ask is not about the tip, but rather about getting to the register/station/whatever. If you are not expecting anything back, they can put off haveing to ring it up for a little while if there is a bottle neck at the register. Many restaurants make all the checks go thru one station and if there are several checks being processed and the server doesn't have to get your change back to you right away, they can process the credit cards and return them and process yours when they have more time.

As a guest, I normally pay in cash (or leave the tip in cash) and if I don't expect change back I tell the server that when they pick it up.

Actually, the reason is because about 8 jillion times you just say "I'll be right back with your change, OK?" get no answer and then go around the corner to get your bank out and make change, even though it's only $2.65 or whatever, and when you get back, the guests are gone, OR then THEN say, "oh, you can keep the change." It can take several minutes when you're getting credit cards and making cash change for several checks, and you just wasted my time. So we're trying to determine if we need to take the valuable time to actually make the change, instead of doing so and then finding out the only reason someone had to do you a favor and run your food for you because you were busy making change was because they didn't tell you to keep it, or because while you were making change, they were leaving.

Essentially -- any ruse I can see through.

Reading this thread as well as the one signified as Irritating Diner Habits provides valuable information from both servers and diners.

Amidst all the complaints, and realizing how difficult restaurant work is, I find it remarkable how much good service is around.

[Edited primarily for spelling. Subsequent posts snipped to eliminate boring rehashes.]

Edited by Gaius (log)

Jamie M. Forbes

"Everything I know about life I learned in the kitchen."

I really enjoyed the hostess at an off track betting place that informed me she needed my table. She did this by slamming her hand on the table and said "we need this table".

I thought ok and left. Kind of a shame because I really wanted that steak sandwich I just ordered. Heard many good things about the coleslaw too.

Family and friends like this one dinner close by. If I get this one waitress she will always add OJ to my order for me. At least three times and counting. I never drink it or pay for it and they are busy when we are there. I often wonder how much it costs her in other tips when she insists on arguing with me about paying for it.

"And in the meantime, listen to your appetite and play with your food."

Alton Brown, Good Eats

I've really enjoyed some of the explanations by former servers....very enlightening. The thing is these corporate places change so frequently I have to wonder how any of their employees can keep anything straight in their heads for very long.

As a longtime BOH guy, I see FOH people as no more comprehensible than space aliens. I cannot imagine why anyone would want to subject themselves to the kinds of things they do, and even as they irritate and bedevil me beyond belief, I retain a grudging admiration for them. That doesn't mean I'll put up with any crap whatsoever, but unless it's deliberate rudeness or a safety/sanitation issue I'll usually just blow it off when I'm dining out and some little thing goes wrong or irritates me slightly. C'est la guerre.