• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining around Oxford

So, I´ve searched the forum for recommendations for Oxford dining. There are a couple of threads but there does not seem to be much to recommend!

So, what if you´re staying in Oxford for a couple of weeks, and have a car, and don´t mind a little drive to get some place wonderful?

Thanks in advance

So, I´ve searched the forum for recommendations for Oxford dining. There are a couple of threads but there does not seem to be much to recommend!

So, what if you´re staying in Oxford for a couple of weeks, and have a car, and don´t mind a little drive to get some place wonderful?

Thanks in advance

You're right .There is not much in Oxford.WE spent 2 days a few weeks ago.Despite a lot of effort to find something decent in downtown oxford we ended up in run of the mill places.Such as Azziz.However chang mai looked good .It needs reservation.we could not get in.

Good luck

There are actually a few possibilities. For posh nosh, definitely Le Manoir or The Vineyard at Stockcross (an easy drive from Oxford along A34 towards Newbury).

In the City, but friendly rather than posh -

Al Shami, Walton Crescent, neighbourhood Lebanese, good food though not elegantly presented (e.g. plate of fresh veg to start off with consists of WHOLE pepper, tomato, cucumber etc).

Branca, Walton St, reasonable though not exceptional Italian

Petit Blanc and Loch Fyne, also Walton St, also reasonable though not exceptional

Gees, Banbury Road used to be good (and still is by reputation) but I haven't been there myself for several years

The Old Parsonage has a good reputation

Chang Mai also has a good/excellent reputation

Shortish drives

For quirky and fun, excellent Thai food - The Crazy Bear at Stadhampton (less than 20 minutes' drive) - one of my all time favourites (English/European food is also good but not as good as the Thai stuff). If you hit this one, make sure you have a good look around - atmosphere is great.

The Crab, Chieveley (also not far off A34/M4 interchange at Newbury)

The Trout at Tadpole Bridge (hard to find, best to check map or call them)

For fun (but not food) in the City, try to find the Turf Tavern. Excellent OLD pub, down a little alley way accessible from Holywell St or New St.

Have a good stay.

Bernice

Petit Blanc and Loch Fyne, also Walton St, also reasonable though not exceptional

If you're talking chain or group restaurants, there's also a Malmaison in Oxford which are usually a pretty safe bet click.

Yes, sorry I forgot to mention that one. The atmosphere and entertainment value of this area and its redevelopment are pretty top notch, worth an hour or so to wander around although the admission price to the old Gaol is pretty steep.

I was in Oxford as a guest of the Oxford University Press last February. I was taken to dinner at Gee's and Malmaison. Both were good but I preferred Gee. My best meal was lunch at St. John's.

I have eaten at Chang Mai several times and found the food to be superb on every occasion, the best Thai i have ever eaten. I dont think the food at The Crazy Bear is a patch on it but the place itself has to be experienced. The best food in the area (apart from us obviously!!!) is served at The Hand and Flowers in Marlow, a bit further out but worth the trip.

The quest for perfection will lead you to role models that will last you for life (Nico Ladenis)

Another couple of suggestions which we haven't visited particularly recently but would visit again sometime: the Mole Inn at Toot Baldon is just a few miles South of Oxford, and the Cherwell Boathouse has a great setting on the river in North Oxford.

Another couple of suggestions which we haven't visited particularly recently but would visit again sometime: the Mole Inn at Toot Baldon is just a few miles South of Oxford, and the Cherwell Boathouse has a great setting on the river in North Oxford.

We just celebrated my parents' golden wedding anniversary with a big party outside at the Cherwell Boathouse. People and setting are great, food nothing special, but the wine list is amazing value (mostly, I believe, because Anthony Verdin of Field, Morris & Verdin is the owner and consequently they either get most of their bins very cheap or are very modest in marking them up - or both). This is the place in Oxford to drink deep and well (couldn't be more different to the Manoir from that point of view).

Strongly suggest taking a punt out (£6 an hour) before rather than after drinking heavily.

Strongly suggest taking a punt out (£6 an hour) before rather than after drinking heavily.

Are you sure about that hire rate? The website says £12 an hour/£14 at weekends.

Are you sure about that hire rate? The website says £12 an hour/£14 at weekends.

Not sure as my brother sorted out the punts, but a rate of £6 an hour may have been related to us booking a large lunch party on a quiet day, or to us taking out a lot of punts. Sorry if I've got it wrong.