• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mini Quiz

Daniel Rogov

Carolyn, Hi....

Very,very close but not fully on the mark. Women were often allowed in kitchens during those days, as bread or pastry chefs (e.g. Bonfinger, Maison Doree) or as assistants to sauce chefs (e.g. Procope). Indeed not as a chef-de-cuisine, and in no role whatever at the Cafe Anglais at which she told the Genral she had worked.

Edited by Daniel Rogov (log)

I have just watched it recently but children were in the room so I was kind of distracted. I don't believe she told him were she worked but he was describing his memories of a dinner at cafe anglais with a woman chef. Particularly the quail with foie. In fact I don't think the general ever had a conversation with her. As far as the mistake I dvr'd it the other day and now i will have something to do.

Because it relates to restaurants, I'll post this one here.  Simply stated, what was the one fault in the film Babette's Feast? 

No entry fee and no prizes, but it might be fun to make your guess.

"Of one thing we can be sure – the research for the film was done with exquisite attention to culinary detail. In fact, as hard as one searches, there is only one "fault" to the entire film and that is when Babette confesses that she was a chef-de-cuisine at Paris' great Café des Anglais. This simply could not have been because the various chefs of the Anglais, including famed Adolphe Duglere were so fixed in their ways that they would not even allow a woman to visit, yet alone work in their kitchen. I can only hypothesize here but I feel strongly that Dinesen (Karen Blixen) was well aware of this and used this as a subtle insult to certain male chefs."

Daniel Rogov

Jun 13 2005

I like your reply best! :biggrin:

Edited by petite tête de chou (log)

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks