• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Culinary Schools in UK

I currently live in Florida, but am planning on attending culinary school after graduating from high school. I've checked out the big ones in the US (NECI, CIA, FCI) and was wondering if anyone knows of some good Culinary schools in the UK/Ireland. For that matter, does anyone know of a good school in France, Switzerland, Germany, etc?

I went to the Butler's Wharf Chef school to study restaurant management back in the 90's Not sure if it is still there?

SB

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

• 2 weeks later...
I'm enrolled on the Leiths Professional Diploma - starting Jan 08.  They seemed to offer a broader focussed course which suited my needs.

good luck to you!

can anyone help me understand why these courses are so expensive (almost 16k for a three term Diploma course at Leith's, and 12K for a cuisine diploma at the cordon bleu)? is this just in anticipation of future earnings? it can't be just because of use of equpment and ingredients... or can it?

edit: just to explain where I am coming from, an MPhil in Biological Sciences (i.e. lab based) at the uni of Cambridge should cost around 3,5K....

Edited by salutistagolosa (log)

just to explain where I am coming from, an MPhil in Biological Sciences (i.e. lab based) at the uni of Cambridge should cost around 3,5K....

What can I say - you only get what you pay for :-)

Universities get government subsidies - also as they attract (esp Cambridge) lots of people leading to economies of scale. Plus - the whole HE fees situtation is completely fucked up these days

Cookery schools are largely private ventures which need hard cash to survive. The cheaper option is via FE college - but I guess after MPhil level at Cam it might be a bit of a let down.

btw - I did spend a wonderful, pampered week a Le Manior's cookery school - but not quite what you're looking for

Cheers

Tony

If you are serious, get a job in the industry.

Hands on experience and a few good restaurants on your CV will do a lot more for you than any diploma

Do day release if you have to, but learning on the job is far better.

btw University funding is a complex subject. Cambridge University does not have large numbers, maybe a class of a 100 or so in the larger subjects, but aims to be among the best in the world. Its main income is from endowment and research grants, rather than student tuition fees. It also does not teach cooking or catering, or even food science as such, although chemical engineering does some research for the food industry.

agree totally with jackal10.

le Manoir offers a 3 year apprenticeship after a 2 day trial, they are hiring at the moment I believe due to enforcement of EU regs re hours worked by the kitchen being finally taken seriously.............or so the scuttlebut has it :smile:

May be tricky for an unskilled non-EU citizen to get a work permit for restaurant work. To do so the restaurant will have to show that there is no EU citizen capable of doing the job.

Starting with an unpaid Stage may be one way, then a claim of special knowledge may have some credence.

Why not start with 6 months or a year in a US fine kitchen. That way you build skills and contacts.

I've just completed the Leith's one year professional diploma and can say that I learnt a tremendous amount. The reason it is so expensive is because unlike most university courses it is an intensive training, five days a week, full time and as someone pointed out it is a private college. However, considering the standard of teaching and the amount of information one learns over the course of the year, coupled with all the excellent demonstrations from eminent chefs and the contacts one makes, 15k seems like a bargain.

Of course no amount of schooling can replace actually going to work in a real life kitchen, however it certainly makes the transition a lot easier. I now have my first kitchen job and can say that skills I learnt at Leith's are coming in very handy!