• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Road food on 80 in Pa?

zoe b

we're traveling through from NJ to Ohio next weekend and have, in all the years we've made the trip, never managed to find great (or we'd settle for decent) roadfood close to 80--I think we've eaten a few times at the Iron Bridge Inn in Mercer--and it was ok, but we'd really love an old style diner sort of place--with maybe hot meatloaf sandwiches--or a drive in--with good hot dogs and ice cream cones.

Can anyone recommend a place or two?

It should be in the center to the west of PA so we could hit it for lunch. I've tried chowhound in the past and not had much luck--I'm putting my faith in e-gulleters!

thanks, all--Zoe

Download Google Earth and fly down to route 80 within 800 feet and inch along it. Thats a great way to discover all the restaurants along travel routes, as well as fun tourist areas...

I found these in Danville, Pa

Mom's Dutch Kitchen

25 Sheraton Rd

Danville, PA 17821

(570) 275 0840

Country Kitchen

15 Valley West Rd

Danville, PA 17821

(570) 275 9050

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

I've had a couple of good meals at

Tom's Kitchen

PA Exit 256, Conyngham, PA

This is just past 81 if you're heading west. Nothing fancy, just a decent local diner.

Just over the PA/Ohio line in Ohio is

Emerald Diner,

OH Exit 234, Hubbard, OH

I haven't been to this one personally but my sister-in-law loves the place and stops every time she passes through that area.

Good luck!

I've done the drive from NY to Ohio many times and in my experience the best road food on I-80 is Quaker Steak & Lube in Sharon, PA. Quaker Steak & Lube makes some of the best hot wings I've had anywhere, and it's a great place to hang out for a bit before finishing the drive. It's about six miles off I-80. Directions and such on the website:

http://www.quakersteakandlube.com/

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

• 2 weeks later...

ok, we're back, and i just wanted to thank you all for the picks--we didn't try any of them, though, because we weren't near them when we were hungry--although were near the Quick Lube, but the hub refused to go out of his way for wings--oh well...

so we ate going west at Plyler's in Brookville--we have eaten there before--a recco from a person on my thrift-list--it's a big buffet--the hub likes it--I think it's filled with grease and salt--and not that i'm against this--a Southern buffet is my idea of heaven--this one doesn't have food good enough to spend the calories.

Pretty good real mashed potatoes with skins--with brown gravy on top, ok fried chicken, no vegetables to speak of--a salad bar with nice fresh crunchy lettuce--actually everything at the salad bar was impeccable--chopped hard boiled eggs, beans, the usual--best thing there was a really good mixed pickle--with cauliflower and onions--sweet and sour.

desserts were gross--pies with hard as a rock prepared crusts and rubber meringue on top--I had a chocolate pie--chocolate filling was also rubbery.

I didn't use Google Earth--my computer doesn't have a lot of memory--sites using flash cause it to shut down=--so I thought downloading it might be a mistake.

I was dying about the Heartland get-together being in Cleveland while we were out there--it looks and sounds like it was fab--but we were visiting my step son and family--so we focussed on family matters.

Ate at a not very good restaurant there--Smokey Bones--I think it was called.--one step above an Applebees and the interior is dark, all wood beams, and there are a million tv screens flashing at you--I think it could cause an epileptic attack in anyone!

On the way back--depressing--we stopped and the hub was gonna get Burger King and I was getting a bean burrito at Taco Bell--he decided to get a snacker special Of Buffalo chicken sandwiches from KFC when he saw the pic--he thought it wasn't very good--too much sauce, not enough chicken (what a surprise)

It was a pleasure to get home and have a dish of pasta with fresh sauteed veggies and a big salad for dinner.

Edited by zoe b (log)

I've done the drive from NY to Ohio many times and in my experience the best road food on I-80 is Quaker Steak & Lube in Sharon, PA. Quaker Steak & Lube makes some of the best hot wings I've had anywhere, and it's a great place to hang out for a bit before finishing the drive. It's about six miles off I-80. Directions and such on the website:

http://www.quakersteakandlube.com/

You don't even have to go all the way to Ohio for a Quaker Steak & Lube on your trip across route 80. There is a new location right off 80 in Bloomsburg. I think that is the closest location to NYC now.