• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fabby's Kitchen Renovation Begins

FabulousFoodBabe

Oh! Has anyone had experience with Eucalyptus flooring? We are trying to decide now if we should go with Ipe, which is outrageously expensive and hard to maintain indoors, or something else. Eucalyptus has the same type of grain as Ipe and since I want the indoors and outdoors to look like one room, I am favoring that versus oak flooring.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

Oh, Fabby, it's gorgeous!!! I am still green with envy over those Nano walls, but you have a much nicer back yard to look out on than mine, so I think they're well-deserved.

However, I have to inform you that I think I may be pulling ahead in our little race. The drywall guys are finishing up on Friday and my appliances are nestled sweetly in the garage as I type. I *think* the final order for the cabinets went in on Monday (the kitchen designer hasn't been returning my emails), which means we're six weeks out on that installation. This gives us time to paint and tile before they arrive...

Sorry I can't help you on the eucalyptus--but I love the idea of matching your exterior ipe somehow, some way.

What have you selected for a kitchen faucet? I need to order one, but am having trouble making a decision.

Feast then thy heart, for what the heart has had, the hand of no heir shall ever hold.

Oh, Fabby, it's gorgeous!!!  I am still green with envy over those Nano walls, but you have a much nicer back yard to look out on than mine, so I think they're well-deserved.
You are sweet to say that -- but take a look at the wall. Ten feet beyond that is the street! So, instead of having people 'living' in our back yard, they stand at the top of the hill and look at us. Through the trees.
However, I have to inform you that I think I may be pulling ahead in our little race.  The drywall guys are finishing up on Friday and my appliances are nestled sweetly in the garage as I type.  I *think* the final order for the cabinets went in on Monday (the kitchen designer hasn't been returning my emails), which means we're six weeks out on that installation.  This gives us time to paint and tile before they arrive...
Jealous! Jealous! You are pulling way ahead. Photos, please, on your thread? (Heh -- my bit o'beefcake is in a black tank top today. Do you have one of them? :wink: )
What have you selected for a kitchen faucet?  I need to order one, but am having trouble making a decision
All faucets and non-integrated sinks are by KWC -- cleanup sink has a pulldown, hand sink and bar sink have smaller faucets (and the hand sink also has a foot pedal -- woo hoo!). I also got a potfiller from them. It was an easy decision, because they are Mr. FB's clients. And no, we didn't get a deal!

I have a Nanawall! Just one, but it's there and it's spectacular. It's on the smaller wall -- this is what is currently a sitting room. The whitish stuff is plastic sheeting. You can see our little Weber grill, which I refuse to pitch into the dumpster. I like it. It's served us well. Anyway, I'm very excited about this development!

gallery_25501_4925_15611.jpg

And today, Nana #2 went in. All that's left to do is install the floor-to-ceiling windows on the walls where the Nanas will fold in. gallery_25501_4925_11362.jpg

Township engineers were out yesterday looking at what we've done to be sure we're being good :smile: and, ahem, "true to plans filed with the town."

Mr. Plumber was out today as well, and mystery boxes are arriving daily. Woo hoo!

Very exciting day, today! Cabinetmaker sent a few photos of the cabinets in progress. This one is going to house the refrigerator.

gallery_25501_4925_15392.jpg

The side of the cabinet you can see has been designed with a recessed panel. The panel will soon contain shallow shelves where I can keep the binders and clipboards I'll be using, and hooks for my index cards. That way, if I need to follow a recipe or make notes, it'll be easily accessible (that side faces the range), and not interfere with counter space.

Also, the new floor tiles arrived today. :biggrin: I cannot wait to see those "supposed to be white" tiles go. I really hope they let me swing the hammer this time.

Nice!

I don't remember, but what kind of hood and blower(if you know) are you going to be putting in Fabs?

You should definitely get some gloves on, grab a hammer and breaker bar, and bust up some of that ugly tile.

Edited by coquus (log)

this looks fantastic I am so enjoying watching your progress! ...I have a huge house that had to be remodeled room by room by room and we are doing all the work we can ourselves...

I am almost to the point where I can begin the kitchen and these kitchen remodel threads are wonderful inspiration..thanks so much for sharing!!!

yes I agree get the hammer out it feels so good/powerful/in control to deconstruct!!! gets lots of frustrations out!

the cabinet looks so great ..I bet you are excited what a fantastic project!

I wish I could put floor to ceiling windows in like that ..I am so jealous of those!! they are stunning ....

I am settling for a French door and a huge window ...we can not cut out a brick wall by ourselves unfortunatly or I would try :raz:

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Nice!

I don't remember, but what kind of hood and blower(if you know) are you going to be putting in Fabs?

You should definitely get some gloves on, grab a hammer and breaker bar, and bust up some of that ugly tile.

Thanks, Coquus! Can you believe how long it took to get this started? Contractor Extraordinaire told me today that he thinks the kitchen should be in, completely, in early September. Then we have to shoot templates for the countertops (and since two of the sinks are integrated into the countertops ... sigh). Anyway, Thanksgiving will be Casa Fabby, and you're all invited!

The hood is a Prestige Proline. 1200 CFM (or do I mean CPM? I'll check, but you know what I mean).

Get this: the subflooring in this house wasn't glued down. Can you imagine?

this looks fantastic I am so enjoying watching your progress! ...I have a huge house that had to be remodeled room by room by room and we are doing all the work we can ourselves...

I am almost to the point where I can begin the kitchen  and these kitchen remodel threads are wonderful inspiration..thanks so much for sharing!!!

yes I agree get the hammer out it feels so good/powerful/in control  to deconstruct!!! gets lots of frustrations out!

the cabinet looks so great ..I bet you are excited what a fantastic project!

I wish I could put floor to ceiling windows in like that ..I am so jealous of those!!  they are stunning ....

I am settling for a French door and a huge window ...we can not cut out a brick wall by ourselves unfortunatly or I would try  :raz:

Thank you! I'm thrilled with the way it's coming together and honestly, the construction process hasn't been bad at all. KWYM about the brick wall -- the last kitchen I did required the hood blower to be mounted on a brick wall, and it was NOT fun getting there!

I salaam to you (and Coquus) for doing so much on your own. Mr. FB and I did a minor remodel in our first house, 20something years ago, and decided to never do it again, and just stay married and on speaking terms! :laugh: Seven houses later, and we stick to it.

Should be in inspections next week, and drywalled soon after. The CE is getting very excited about the electrical work. So am I.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Well, we just topped 30 days of work, and I've decided not to post boring photos of it (you are all welcome!).

While we were gone these past days, the white tile foyer disappeared (woo hoo!), revealing 1/8" plywood subflooring, also not nailed to the floor beams. CE has no idea why the tile held up for so long; no doubt because so much of the traffic comes in through the garage level and back yard. New subflooring is in, and Brazilian Multi slate-tiles (18") will be installed next week, as will the wood floors.

The electrical and plumbing both passed inspection, all the windows are in, and next week begins what CE calls "closing it up." Cabinets will be installed in mid-September, then the appliances, and while we're waiting for countertops, the last little bits will be finished.

As the whole thing is framed and taking shape, I have to say that it's exactly what I wanted. The outdoors and indoors flow together. The work space is nice and tight, just the way I like to work. I'm very, very excited.

I'll have more to show in a week.

As promised -- more fabulous fotos!

We are finally beginning the phase where people can actually see things happening. Foyer tile is in now, and the wood flooring was installed today.

gallery_25501_4925_34721.jpg

No more white tile! Woo hoo! That thundering sound is me doing the Happy Dance.

gallery_25501_4925_9541.jpg

Wood will be stained to match the Ipe outside.

gallery_25501_4925_4662.jpg

Here, you can see the wet bar/pass-through area.

Next week: Drywall and ceilings, light placement, and then the finishing work begins.

Have I said WOO-HOO lately? :wink:

Well, it's been a heck of a week chez Foodbabe: Drywall installation, taping, and finishing. Husband and son scuba-diving, basset hounds escaping and running through the neighborhood all night, weird donuts and men on stilts. We're right on schedule! (BTW, no one showed up until late on Tuesday to do anything, and I was so so happy. SO SO happy. First time in 41 days of work that I've been able to have coffee outside with just the pooch.)

First: Here's how the place looks now. This is the view from the entrance to the room. I love it.

gallery_25501_4925_33672.jpg

From here, you can see the shape of the work and storage spaces. On the left side is the mini'kitchen/pass. The big flat surface in the middle will hold the refrigerator; behind that is cleanup center with sinks, dishwasher, etc.

gallery_25501_4925_20531.jpg

gallery_25501_4925_10886.jpg

The Man On Stilts rules! He walks on these things like he was born with them. I want a pair in the worst way. I could reach everything. I could tower. He must feel like the King of the Drywall.

This is the weird Munchkin that popped up in the box the other day. It looks sort of like a meatball with congealed tomato-grease on the outside. The sugar is orange but tastes like sugar. I think it's supposed to be pumpkin or spice or somthing. It just weirded me out so much and no one ate it. It's the Lone Munchkin.

gallery_25501_4925_76060.jpg

Yes, it's blurry but I'm still learning how to use the photo editor! Trust me, it's a weird, weird thing.

How do you feel about enclosing the flitch beam?

I just stand under it and know it's there, and that helps. :sad:

:raz:

That wall of windows is going to be a gorgeous backdrop for cooking Thanksgiving dinner...oh, wow. Looks great!

Thank you , Miss Megan. It's my favorite part, so far. I can't wait to cook again.

Yay for Fabby!!

They havent even started on our kitchen yet. Our sunroom was torn down on Friday in preparation for the new bedroom addition and that was exciting. Oh and we bought our appliances yesterday.

Keep in mind that prices are a lot higher in Canada. We spent a bit over 7k( 2k more than I budgeted). We got GE Profile slide in dual fuel range, GE profile french door fridge, Whirlpool stainless interior dishwasher and panasonic over the range microwave. I can't wait to cook with gas again!!

Yay for Fabby!!

They havent even started on our kitchen yet.  Our sunroom was torn down on Friday in preparation for the new bedroom addition and that was exciting.  Oh and we bought our appliances yesterday.

Keep in mind that prices are a lot higher in Canada.  We spent a bit over 7k( 2k more than I budgeted).  We got GE Profile slide in dual fuel range, GE profile french door fridge, Whirlpool stainless interior dishwasher and panasonic over the range microwave.    I can't wait to cook with gas again!!

Whoa! Leslie, nice! I'm loving your blog, btw. I also have always had dual-fuel (Thermadors, when they were the only option), but won't with the new kitchen. I really like electric ovens, but the space we had allocated (a 60" Wolf dual fuel) meant that I wouldn't have two ovens that held my full-sized pans, so I wound up with the BlueStar. BTW, I realized the space issue literally at midnight one night, after I'd approved the plans and we were starting pre-construction ... holy crap! I like ranges, I don't want a cooktop and wall ovens, they just feel weird to me.

My SIL had the appliances you're getting. She loved them, they were beautiful. I'll never forget her first Thanksgiving turkey(with pears) that she did. That bird was perfectly browned, with minimal fuss.

We finish electrical work and drywalling next week. One week from tomorrow, the cabinets arrive. I'm so excited I can hardly breathe! Sign me,

Easily Pleased!

I'm really doing the happy dance -- my appliances are here! And some are not boxed, so I can fondle them (great term, BekkiM!).

First, the SubZero had to be brought by a crew of four men. As you can see, our house is situated kind of weird on the lot, so they had to back the truck up the hill to the deck and wrestle it out.

gallery_25501_4925_30426.jpg

No turf was damaged in the process!

I didn't think it would be kind to photograph and post these guy sweating and wrestling over this thing, but it is a big S.O.B., and it took about 45 minutes. Now it sits in the foyer with its face to the wall.

gallery_25501_4925_10506.jpg

They say it's to keep from being damaged, but I know they don't want me playing with it until "it's time." Hmph.

The rest of the stuff is in the garage, mostly in boxes. Except for the BlueStar!

gallery_25501_4925_15351.jpg

I feel like I did when the bambinos were tiny babies: Every so often I go and look at them just to be sure they're still there. :rolleyes:

wow oh wow oh wow. I'm so excited for you (and Bekki M, I just finished her pages too) and am scared whitless now about my own reno! We're just starting talks but DH thinks it will be done by Thanksgiving. I have my doubts. I am so hopelessly clueless when it comes to envisioning layouts and what surfaces to choose for cabinets, floors, counters, etc. that I am committed to trusting my DH - he really has an amazing eye and knows my asthetic.

Nice job! I look forward to seeing the counters next!

Genny

So, we are mostly done with cabinet installations. Here's a shot of what the kitchen looks like now: remember, from this vantage point, it used to be a big wall, and some icky sliding doors to a deck. The installation has been interesting; most of this is being assembled on site.

gallery_25501_4925_457.jpg

Genny, if you get yours done before Thanksgiving, I'm coming to Mesa to give you a congratulatory (and very jealous) pinch!

Here's how we hope the rest of the job will go:

-Electricians will do things.

-Cabinetmakers will finish.

-Templates for countertops will be taken.

-Appliances will be installed

-Floors will be refinished and sealed

-Backsplashes and some finishing touches will be done.

-Countertops will be installed (since two of the sinks are integrated, plumbing will be completed)

-Cabinet pulls will be installed

-painting will occur, inside and out

These guys work fast, so I'm confident that inviting 15 people to Thanksgiving Dinner was a smart thing to do. And if it wasn't, I'm going to beg eG to develop a "gouging my eyes out" smilie.

Genny, what are you considering for your materials? Did you see BekkiM's backsplashes? Wow.

Fabby, as I just posted on Bekki's "Thanksgiving" was a serious typo, I should have said Christmas. But even still I'll be shocked if I have a whole new kitchen done by then, we haven't even had our first meeting with the contractor. OYOYOY.

We are in the initial stages of this and although we have planned our kitchen out 2 times over the last 5 years, I'm not certain it will end up being what we used to want. Time changes opinions, material availbility changes and as it turns out, what seemed to be a fairly unique selection previously no longer seems such as we know of at least 2 others that are using exactly what we had originally planned. I hate being like the crowd :biggrin:. And I'm thinking more on the detials now like spice storage. I'm going to start a thread if I can't find one already going. I want to see what others have done to get ideas for effective ways to control my storage.

Your windows are making me JONES for a great wall of windows and a fabulous view!!! I love the wood and all the colors you have, its just beautiful.

Fabby, as I just posted on Bekki's "Thanksgiving" was a serious typo, I should have said Christmas.  But even still I'll be shocked if I have a whole new kitchen done by then, we haven't even had our first meeting with the contractor.  OYOYOY. 

At this rate, if you finish by Christmas, I'll STILL give you a pinch!

we know of at least 2 others that are using exactly what we had originally planned.  I hate being like the crowd  :biggrin:.  And I'm thinking more on the detials now like spice storage.  I'm going to start a thread if I can't find one already going.  I want to see what others have done to get ideas for effective ways to control my storage.

Tell me what you wanted to do? KWYM about being unique -- I'm starting to hear of others looking at bamboo cabinets here and all I can do it pray that mine gets done first!

I don't really have a spice system. They're in the jars or boxes they come in, or if they're bagged I put them in an old Mason jar, and keep them in one of the cabinets. My cookbooks live in my office which is on the first floor of the house, but for when they visit, I have some shelving built into the side of the refrigerator cabinet. Now, if you want to see my rice and flour storage systems ... we can talk!

Your windows are making me JONES for a great wall of windows and a fabulous view!!!  I love the wood and all the colors you have, its just beautiful.

Thanks, doll. We live in a very normal, suburban-type of neighborhood with a little, um, different terrain. The street runs behind our house, at the top of the hill, but the way the house is set into the outcroppings, and thanks to the way I had the deck built and landscaping done, it's very private.

I have a feeling we'll be eating out at Thanksgiving this year. SIGH. At the very least, my birthday party is going to have to wait.