• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Barbecue/Smoker Recommendations

helenas

woodburner... What is it about the Weber Ranch that makes it cost $1000? I am now picking my lower jaw up off the floor. I only paid $189 for my smoker. What is in that thing?

Porcelain coating, is what brings in the crowd, and cost.

It is a fairly expensive procedure, that works well, and lasts a long time in many different climates, which is what the public calls for.

Can it cook, and hold up to high heat?? Yup.

Modern technology has surpassed porcelian, I might add that a high end insulated cooker, affords a more stable enviornment, and attracts a much different crowd.

woodburner

Uh... My Smokey Mountain is porcelain coated in and out. No big whup. And triple nickel plating on the grills is no big deal either. For that price they should be stainless steel. Then it might be worth... oh... maybe $300. It even has the same cheap wheels as my old Weber grill. I just don't get it.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Here's my 2 cents:

I have a Weber Performer as well. Love the gas start in those michigan winters.

It won't matter what you buy if you don't use good fuel. Either real charcoal or wood. Forget the briquets.

The other factor is skill level. Can you smoke briskets for 18 hours on a weber? Yes, but you'll also screw it up once or twice along the way. You can use a weber for a lot of different styles of cooking, but it takes practice.

What was my point again? Oh, yeah, just cuz Tiger Woods can hit a high hooking 6 iron from the right rough from 200 yards to 6 inches away doesn't mean you can. You gotta practice, and you've got to have the right equipement.

Buy a grill. Buy a smoker.

Unless cost is no object, Weber is the way to go. A big kettle will do all the grilling/roasting you need, and rudimentary smoking (i.e. turkey, chicken, pork loin, salmon, eggplant). The lack of a moveable grate has never been a problem; you move the coals or stack them to get temperature gradients if you want.

A Weber Smoky Mountain Cooker if you want ribs, brisket, pulled pork without a lot of monitoring time.

That's my $.02. 8+ years of satisfaction talking here.

Here's my 2 cents:

It won't matter what you buy if you don't use good fuel. Either real charcoal or wood. Forget the briquets.

Agree...only use lumpwood charcoal...burns quite a bit hotter than briquets do, so it takes a little practice if you've never used it.....btw I assume I'm not the only one who has a warped bottom grate in his Weber due to the high heat of the lump charcoal am I??

Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!!!

no, you're not, and I just rememebered a trick I learned from a friend on another site. You can line the bottom and sides of the weber with pieces of a broken pizza stone ( they break when you drop them, even if you drop them on accident, they still break).

It does a great job of keeping the heat in and constant, and if you are cooking someting over high heat, it has that tandori kind of effect that you might be looking for.

Here's a link to our Kamado thread:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...34179

I'm looking to pick one of these up this spring to complement my Weber gas grill.

The Kamado is unique in that its made out of ceramic, and it can burn dual fuels -- both charcoal and gas, and you can smoke and do low temperature cooking in it, which is essential for real BBQ.

Jason,

You need to look around.

Round cooking vessel's leave much to be desired.

Many innovative pit builders early on, thought round to be right.

Is your oven round??

woodburner

I've seen the results this vessel produces... Its going to take a lot to convince me otherwise! :laugh:

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Jason

After speaking to someone at Kamado today I was told to expect to wait at least two months for the cooker to be built (in Indonesia, I think) and shipped to Sacramento. That's barring no disasters - and delivery time is extra. That was important to me now that the weather is improving in the north east. Then again, you already have a grill and I don't...

Trust me, I have been doing little else but reading the various kamado sites! It still seems like the Kamado brand makes the most interesting ceramic cookers, if not the cheapest. I noticed just how rich the Kamado user forum is too. Lots of satisfied customers there.

Jason

After speaking to someone at Kamado today I was told to expect to wait at least two months for the cooker to be built (in Indonesia, I think) and shipped to Sacramento. That's barring no disasters - and delivery time is extra. That was important to me now that the weather is improving in the north east. Then again, you already have a grill and I don't...

Yep. Its a long term commitment. I can wait.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Trust me, I have been doing little else but reading the various kamado sites! It still seems like the Kamado brand makes the most interesting ceramic cookers, if not the cheapest. I noticed just how rich the Kamado user forum is too. Lots of satisfied customers there.

I was merely trying to point out that you might be able to get something similar to the Kamado brand in less time. It appears that quick availability is important to you.

I was merely trying to point out that you might be able to get something similar to the Kamado brand in less time. It appears that quick availability is important to you.

mnebergall, thanks for the observation. I didn't mean to sound rude, just to express my keenness!

Here's my 2 cents:

The other factor is skill level. Can you smoke briskets for 18 hours on a weber? Yes, but you'll also screw it up once or twice along the way. You can use a weber for a lot of different styles of cooking, but it takes practice.

What was my point again? Oh, yeah, just cuz Tiger Woods can hit a high hooking 6 iron from the right rough from 200 yards to 6 inches away doesn't mean you can. You gotta practice, and you've got to have the right equipement.

Buy a grill. Buy a smoker.

That's actually a very good two cents.

woodburner

don't you think if there were any unsatisfied customers there, you might not see their posts?

Fair point, but the sheer volume of posts on their forum vs posters on the BGE, PrimoGrill, Naked Whiz, Imperial Kamado sites suggests that they have a lot of satisfied and energized customers. Most posts are less overt testimonials so much as people swapping recipes and techniques and generally sounding like they're enjoying the cooker.

Folks, I like to dispell a few things, at least from my standpoint.

High costs for outdoor cooking units can be attributed to many things. If it's a metal or steel manufactured unit, gauge or thickness of the metal used to produce the frame or shell, can raise the project price, sometimes substantially.

Depending on where you live in world, in regards to climate, the addition of insulation during manufacture will raise costs, for the unit, but at the same time, it might offset your fuel usage, over the life of the cooker.

The use of stainless steel, on certain cooker parts will add costs, but again, over the life of the cooker, insure ease of cleaning, and lower, part failure. Remember, we are cooking over hot wood coals.

Slide out racks, maybe 8 or 10 certainly adds cost, but it also adds value, to the cook.

The list goes on, so it's not always a vanity issue regarding the costs, but more of a practicality issue.

Will a high end cooking unit cook "better"? No.

It will allow you to cook numerous different food items at the same time, over the same fire, at different temperatures. Most kitchen ovens cannot perform that feat.

At the same time, holding a very stable cooking temperature over a long period of time.

woodburner

I stumbled across this BBQ: Grill Dome

They remind me of the kamado style of BBQ's.

They run about $550 or so.

I am not famliar with this product so I can't recommend it. But there it is.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Folks, I like to dispell a few things, at least from my standpoint.

High costs for outdoor cooking units can be attributed to many things. If it's a metal or steel manufactured unit, gauge or thickness of the metal used to produce the frame or shell, can raise the project price, sometimes substantially. 

Depending on where you live in world, in regards to climate, the addition of insulation during manufacture will raise costs, for the unit, but at the same time, it might offset your fuel usage, over the life of the cooker.

The use of stainless steel, on certain cooker parts will add costs, but again, over the life of the cooker, insure ease of cleaning, and lower, part failure. Remember, we are cooking over hot wood coals. 

Slide out racks, maybe 8 or 10 certainly adds cost, but it also adds value, to the cook.

The list goes on, so it's not always a vanity issue regarding the costs, but more of a practicality issue.

Will a high end cooking unit cook "better"? No.

It will allow you to cook numerous different food items at the same time, over the same fire, at different temperatures. Most kitchen ovens cannot perform that feat.

At the same time, holding a very stable cooking temperature over a long period of time.

woodburner

I've had both Weber charcoal and gas grills (never had a grill until we moved into this house about 8 years ago). Wound up using the gas most of the time. There are 2 things I like very much about the Webers. The porcelain coating wears well in Florida. And the grill is dependable. It gets cold here in north Florida in the winter (ok - not as cold as Minneapolis - we're talking 40's and occasional 30's). But - on a relatively warm evening in February - I can fire up the grill if I haven't used it in 2 months - and it starts without any problems whatsoever.

As for stainless - it "ain't here" - this close to the ocean. And my nickel kitchen cabinet pulls have to be cleaned intensively to prevent corrosion too. After using the Weber products for 8 years - I am a big fan of porcelain and plastic type products. Note that I have replaced the grates and flavor bars once or twice. They are usually so filthy by the time I replace them that I don't mind that they're corroded. Robyn

No question, the Weber Kettle is the most highly prized cooking unit among weekend warriors, but only you can make the decision, to take your cooking to a different level.

If I were to opt for a 22 1/2" kettle, the need for two or three, would certainly come first to mind.

Here is an eGulletified Amazon link for the grill you recommended:

Weber 60020 The Ranch Charcoal Kettle

Please support eGullet by making Amazon links that give eGullet a commission. Click here for instructions. Thanks.

So, my old grill is finally dead - completely rusted through the bottom. I am in he market to buy a new grill, and I can spend up to $700 (would prefer to spend less, but am willing to spend more for better quality). I am debating about what type to get. I prefer a charcoal grill, but because I often work until 9:00 PM and we grill almost every night during the summer, I am leaning towards a gas grill for ease of use. Is there some sort of hybrid, or a model that can do both? What are some features I should look for in a good grill? Any recommendations?

As for what I use my grill for...well, I grill the basic burgers/chicken breasts/steaks as well as almost any kind of vegetable, flat breads and pizzas, fruits, and I really want to be able to grill some large pieces of meat this year, like a leg of lamb or a pork loin. Ideally, I would like something I could smoke in as well - I am determined to smoke a turkey this year.

As a side note - any ideas for ome unsual or creative things to throw on the grill, or maybe a new twist on an old favorite?

Amanda

I use the Weber Performer which is a charcoal grill with a gas flame igniter for the charcoal.  I can usually have food on the grill within about 15 minutes of hitting the "start" button.  It will prety much do any of the things you cite.

I also recommend the Weber Performer gas fired charcoal grill which I have along with a Weber Genesis gas grill. I use both frequently, interchanging based upon my needs and mood. If I only had a choice of one however, it would be the Performer. Also, if you intend to smoke, I think you're better off with charcoal. My attempts to smoke/cook on a gas grill have been a waste of time.

Either way you go, spring a little extra money for the rotisserie attachment. It's a great thing to have.

• 1 year later...

I am in the hunt for a new propane grill (I think). Like a lot of folks, I live in an apartment so retrofitting the house for a gas-line, high end rotisserie/smoker/grill behemoth is not in the foreseeable future. However, I want to get something and we'll start with the following "requirements"

a. I move about once a year/or every two years - and will for the "foreseeable" future (at least the next two years or so) so the grill has to hold up to (and be capable of) being moved around.

b. I'm a semi-accomplished home cook, so I can handle the power - or at least would know what to do with it.

c. I'd like it to last for a little while - at least until I get into a house I can retrofit as described above :cool:

d. I'd like to spend somewhere between $0 and $400 - preferably closer to the $200 range.

My questions:

a. What am I looking for in terms of BTU? I haven't been able to find any sort of 'definitive' guide as to how to use this term in comparing and rating grills. Mostly I've just seen "bigger is good, but not necessarily better." which doesn't get me very far.

b. Are there any sort of 'extras' I'm forgoing? I notice this particular grill has porcelain rather than cast-iron grates - this seems to be a trade in price, but I can upgrade later, no?

c. Should I more seriously consider charcoal? While I like the IDEA of a charcoal grill - I see the propane as something I will actually use on an 'every day' basis and the time requirements of a charcoal grill would, I think, relegate it to 'weekends only.'

So, any help?