• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Barbecue/Smoker Recommendations

helenas

Weber One Touch Kettle.

Unfortunately, 18 1/2, and not the biggest one. I wish i read Schlesinger more attentively. In our grill it's hardly enough space for two whole chickens, especially flattened ( and i'm not even talking about the split ones), for hot roasting under indirect fire.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a charcoal griller. No propane for me. I've been using a grill bought over 20 years ago made by a company that doesn't exist anymore. It has a large grill surface (28" x 20"), adjustable fire grate, hinged cover and rotisserie. The body is made from muffler steel and the grates are cast iron. The whole cart is can be moved on front wheels. Typically we grill for six to twenty people. The fires are made from hardwood charcoal oand/or brickettes and are very hot. It can cook up to twelve 1/2 lb hamburgers, six-ten sausages and a roast on the spit at the same time. I love the thing, but one day it will wear out, and I am at a loss to find a replacement as good. Anyone have any ideas?

I am also a charcoal user. I can't tell you which is the best, but I've been using the standard big round free-standing Weber for years and it works well (it cooked a pie in an emergency, once, beautifully, and you know how I love pie), but it seems to have a design flaw. Every one I've ever used needs to have the lid slightly ed or the fire burns low. Even when all the vents are open. Anybody else experience this? But obviously the BRW is not the grill for you, since you're cooking for so many so frequently....

Also, the worst chore associated with charcoal grills is getting rid of the ashes, and I don't know if any designs take this into consideration. The round Weber makes this particularly difficult, I think, as you have to tip the whole damn thing over and ashes go everywhere.

Actually, the Weber Master Touch Grill has basically a sauce pan underneath it that is better at catching the ashes. My brother inherited an old Char Broil box grill from our Dad, which he has lovingly cared for and partially restored (new wheels, new paint, new grills) which still grills well and smokes a mean turkey. They don't seem to make this one anymore. Must be something similar out there though.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

I too am a fan of the Weber round grills, although the unit I like is the Performer. This has a gas ignition system that is one of the only true advances in chacoal grilling technology since pre-history. However, this grill is too small for you (22.5 inches round), and it does not accept a rotisserie as far as I know. Were it not for the rotisserie issue, I'd suggest you get two Webers, because your grill is too big for when you cook for six people and you'd probably save coals overall by having two smaller grills since you may not barbecue for twenty all that often.

A custom-built grill is an option, depending on how much you want to spend. Especially if you have a specific place where you always use it, it's cool to have a brick unit.

Maybe your grill will last long enough for gas grills to improve in quality a little bit more, though. Gas grills are nipping at the heels of charcoal grills and of course they have a million advantages.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

This may not be that helpful, but I have found two places to buy good grills. Both are cheap and extremely functional. Neither is near New York.

What I want in a grill is

(1) the flexibility to use a vertical firebox, so that a chicken or lamb roast can be spitted and turned in front of the coals, with a pan underneath to catch the drippings

(2) the availability of a spit and rotisserie motor, to turn the roast.

Few American grills offer these capabilities.

However the French general stores (e.g Carrefour) invariably offer them. Almost ten years ago I paid FF110 for a small but workable grill, with spit and battery-powered motor. This was at the end of season, it was on sale. It is in cheap metal, and has finally rusted away after heavy use and outdoor storage. It made a fantastic chicken, though! And the motor is still working : I use it on the Turkish grill described below.

I found a replacement grill -- again, with the capability to turn the firebox -- and use a spit -- at a shop in Istanbul. This was made of cast iron, and was slightly more expensive (I recall a figure like £20). It was no fun dragging the grill around Istanbul and then hefting it onto a plane!

Jonathan Day

"La cuisine, c'est quand les choses ont le go�t de ce qu'elles sont."

The new Weber One Touch Gold has larger intake vents than the old Weber, so putting the lid on does not kill the fire. This grill allows ashes to be emptied from the bottom into a large container. Using Lump Charcoal will vastly reduce the amount of ash, to less than one 10th of that produced by briquettes.

blue.jpg

PS - Weber does offer a Rotisserie inset for this grill.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

You are correct, sir:

http://www.weber.com/

Charcoal Kettle Rotisserie: Turn your kettle into a rotisserie grill with a heavy–duty electric motor, wood rod handle, and counterbalance for smooth turning and less motor wear. Fits all 22-1/2" kettles.

item # 2290

So in that case my recommendation would definitely be to go with two Webers.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

An excellent supplemental grill is the Lodge cast iron camper, basically an American hibachi. It's for direct cooking only, and just big enough to handle a couple of butterflied Cornish hens. Indestructible.

Who said "There are no three star restaurants, only three star meals"?

I'm also in the basic Weber camp, but if I had the room and needed to cook for bigger groups, I'd get the 55-gallon split drum pit used by all the local bbq shacks. Here in Portland I know a welder who makes them from food-grade drums.

The rotisserie would be tricky, but otherwise the drum pits give you lots of room and flexibility for fire placement. In my perfect world, I'd have another couple acres of backyard and room to build to combo wood oven, barbecue, smoker, and grill. Reality means just enough space for the Weber, wood supply, and a small grill I use for additional fire starting (and the occasional backyard campfire).

I used to be able to buy 40-lb bags of lump briquet from a local fuel oil place, but they stopped bringing it in from Louisiana. Now I get about 7 lbs for about $5 at the local natural foods supermarket. I also use the trimmings from my fruit trees and softwood scrap from my own projects for starter. A furniture-builder friend sometimes brings bags of shop fall-off, nice kiln dried hardwood in small chunks perfect for the Weber.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

Wow, I'm so surprised to find so many of the eGulleters who I consider serious cooks in the Weber camp! I feel redeemed!

And I'm delighted to find that they've made improvements to both of my complaints! Now all I need is a country house to park a Weber on...... (Meanwhile, I've got a portable weber in my car trunk!)

I've found that all of my grilling needs have been met with a weber. But I'll admit that I primarily use a smoker for roasts and rotisseries.

What I admire most about the weber is the ability to control flare-ups, almost instantly. The only times I've had problems with not being able to keep coals lit are when the coals are damp. Ever since I started storing them indoors, I haven't had a problem.

I've found that all of my grilling needs have been met with a weber. But I'll admit that I primarily use a smoker for roasts and rotisseries.

Have you had experience smoking with a Weber Smokey Mountain? I've achieved a 10 hour session without adding any lump charcoal, and maintained 240 to 250 degrees the whole time.

=Mark

Have you had experience smoking with a Weber Smokey Mountain?  I've achieved a 10 hour session without adding any lump charcoal, and maintained 240 to 250 degrees the whole time.

Yup, my buddy Shamus has one and I've plenty of experience with it. We've done a lot of bbq together. And I'll tell ya, I love the Smokey Mountain for precisely that reason, almost hands-off smoking for hours.

My barrel smoker requires attention at least every half-hour if I'd like to keep a steady temperature. Plus, you can get your SM to really low temperatures for doing long-term smoking like salmon.

That said, I still prefer my barrel smoker, and so does Shamus. Yes, it does take a lot more work, but you just can't get that deep smoke flavor like you can get from a completely wood fire. Everything ends up being more flavorful on the barrel smoker.

Besides, you get more bragging rights when you say you've been up since three in the morning smoking your hog legs and that you've had to take turns working the smoker. :smile:

i know it's off topic, and i'm sure i've been told before, but let me ask you guys now that some real talent is all in the same room:

smoking: what temp for whole fish (trout), and what temp for ribs.

in a gas grill, indirect heat: what temp for ribs.

i promise not to bother you again with my non-charcoal silliness. :smile:

Jaybee - I exclusively use a Weber Performer. Can't beat the electric ignitor. And I exclusively use hardwood from Quebec. I buy a bunch of 10 pound bags at the end of the grilling season and keep them in the garage until the next spring. By the time I use them they light like wooooosh. They make for an amazingly hot, and uniform fire. But one thing I have found that makes a big difference is the heavy metal grate insert that Weber offers. Those tines get to be hot suckers, and the sear it goves your meat from them is terrific.

Tommy - Indirect heat for ribs at 150-175 degrees.

But one thing I have found that makes a big difference is the heavy metal grate insert that Weber offers.

True, My grill has very thick cast iron grates which I season before putting on for the first time. They last about two to three years before they start to break down and have to be replaced. It takes three 9" wide grates to cover the fire box. They really cook the meat.

I buy a bunch of 10 pound bags at the end of the grilling season and keep them in the garage until the next spring. By the time I use them they light like wooooosh.

Steve -- that's so interesting. Having lived in coal-mining country, I know that old coal (that has been sitting around above ground for a while) has released all its gasses and won't burn. But I guess charcoal is a completely different animal.

When I had a country place up near Ellenville an old timer at the hardware store told me that Ellenville, like many other towns, had a local guy that made lump charcoal for sale. My pal Richard told me, over the weekend, that charcoal briquettes were invented by Henry Ford, who was looking for a use for the hardwood cut-outs from A frames.....

And I exclusively use hardwood from Quebec. I buy a bunch of 10 pound bags at the end of the grilling season and keep them in the garage until the next spring.

Leave it to Plotnicki to age his charcoal! :biggrin:

Uh, Steve, where do you buy the stuff? Link please.

smoking:  what temp for whole fish (trout), and what temp for ribs.

in a gas grill, indirect heat:  what temp for ribs.

Never done whole fish, but have done seafood like scallops at about 210 for 45 minutes, figure something like a whole trout at 210 to 220 for an hour.

Ribs I do at 230 to 250 for 4 to 5 hours. Large spares take a bit longer than babybacks for the extra fat to render out.

=Mark

Jaybee - I'll email you the exact name of the wood from the Hamptons. I buy it at Schmidt's in Bridgehampton which is a local grocery store. I tried to find it on the Internet but couldn't. But here's a link to one that looks good.

Maple Leaf Charcoal

B. Edulis - Were you in the movie The Deer Hunter? Or did they work in the steel mills? :raz: Actually I find that aging the coals for the 8 months makes them burn just slightly faster. And possibly more evenly.

• 8 months later...

I have read and enjoyed the various threads I've been able to track down about bbq. The closest thing I've ever had to perfect food was pulled pork, so I have a great deal of interest in learning how to do this at home.

Presently I have a gas grill (I know, I know; it was a gift and couldn't be exchanged), which I find to be not good for much except a quick outdoor cooking experience - now with Beer! So I'm considering the purchase of either a charcoal grill or a smoker.

I can't decide which one I should get. I imagine I would buy a Weber kettle grill, if I went that route. Could I smoke on a grill? Could I grill on a smoker?

Also, can you use bullet smokers or grills for cold smoking (like bacon, fish, and cheese)? Anyone have links on the procedure, if so? I'm wading through the virtual weber bullet site but that's taking quite a while.

Any advice and random anecdotes appreciated. Also, beer can chicken: Can you actually fit a chicken, propped on a beer can, under the lid of an average charcoal grill?

Jennie

I bought a Weber grill last weekend. My fourth or fifth one. (Not from wear and tear, but I seem to lose one everytime I move). Its a One-Touch Gold. It cost a little over a hundred bucks. Its a charcoal grill, and it is great for pulled pork. I find that Webers are very well-designed for slow long cooking over a low indirect heat source. Whether you define that as smoking, I do not know, but they are designed to accomodate hardwood chips for added smoke flavor. Every shoulder, brisket, roast, turkey, etc. that I have ever prepared on my Weber has had a nice smoke ring. However, it is also just as good at delivery a very hot direct heat source for steaks, etc.

Don't be so quick to throw out your gas grill, they're perfect for a quick burger or chicken breast for lunch, but you're right, it's not the best (or even decent) for smoking.

For a discusion of the merits of smokers/grills, clicki ici.

This is the second page of Dave the Cook's thread on smoking his first brisket and it's about at this point the thread takes a turn and discusses grills and smokers.

I suppose you could cold smoke on a bullet, but it's not designed for it and would be very difficult to get consistently good results.

As for the chicken, you can definitely fit an upright chicken under a weber grill but don't bother. Brine it, dry it, stuff with herbs and smoke for the best chicken.

Oh, I'm definitely going to keep the gas grill for the quick cooking.

I suppose you could cold smoke on a bullet, but it's not designed for it and would be very difficult to get consistently good results.

Eh? I thought that's what it was for?

Thanks for the link. I shall now have to consider the Char-Griller smoker thingymabobber, since it could obviously do both jobs (and smoked meat is great, but sometimes I want grilled asparagus or a really seared steak).

The beer can chicken must be tried once. My favorite roast chicken at the moment is the one where I cut the backbone out, take out my aggressions on the breastbone, air dry for 24h, then roast at 475F in the oven. However, every summer I become convinced that a grill is a much better thing than an oven for meats. I'm not sure why - I think it's because you can play around with the fire and it's more visceral than using the oven temp knob. That and it's outdoors.

Jennie