• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Barbecue/Smoker Recommendations

helenas

There is likely a thread on this somewhere although I could not find it.

After a lifetime spent living in a city, I will be spending the next couple of years living in the suburbs (the sacrifices one makes for marriage).

Should you choose charcoal for your fuel, I don't think you can go wrong with the Weber. I grill alot and my Weber is as good now as it was when I got it in 1979.

I'll weigh in here for gas and say if you go that route, you can't go wrong with Vermont Castings. They come in both natural gas and propane models.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

My vermont castings has a rotisserie with an infra red gas burner. I do spit roasting all the time and it's wonderul.

There's a sort of reasonable picture of it

here

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Weber manufactures a rotisserie for the 22" kettle as an optional piece of equipment.

Kettle Rotisserie

That item has a proven track record and works well for most grilling and rotisserie chores. The one lacking requisite of the weber kettle is the unfullfilling ability to adjust the fire rack height. Now mind you it's possible to bank the lump charcoal off to the sides and play with the air intake, located at the bottom of the kettle to control air flow which in turn can somewhat fine tune the heat emitted by the hot coals, but you will find it somewhat clumsy after time, at least I do.

The best of all world's is to have an adustable fire box or grate which can easily be raised or lowered to meet your needs at any particuliar time, and can also be fitted with a rotisserie. For that you require a more modest piece of equipment made by Hasty Bake.

With just minimal care the unit will easily last a lifetime, and put you on the road of a grilling guru.

woodburner

About 40 years ago I started out with a hibachi and I don’t even know if they make them anymore. Anyway, I quickly moved to a Weber charcoal kettle grill and I couldn’t kill it. I left it outside for about 30 years and the porcelain finish looked as good as the first day (bright red). I became too lazy to use it and it just sat on the patio until a young contractor was doing some work and commented on how cool it was. He left with it and I kept $50 in my pocket, about ½ what I paid for it many years before. Then I bought a Webber gas unit and I’ve loved it. I have controlled heat and with my digital, remote temperature probe I can roam around and everything comes out perfect. I’ve had good luck with that brand.

The best of all world's is to have an adustable fire box or grate which can easily be raised or lowered to meet your needs at any particuliar time, and can also be fitted with a rotisserie. For that you require a more modest piece of equipment made by Hasty Bake.

Thanks woodburner. I want to go the charcoal route and was curious about how you effectively adjust the heat, Hasty Bake's option of an adjustable fire box does seem to give you the best of both worlds.

I have had good luck with Webers, but my current grill and the favorite of all the gas or charcoal ones that I've used over the years has to be the Chargriller Super Pro. It's inexpensive; you can adjust the height of the coals; and it has cast iron grates, which I prefer. I opted against the one with the side firebox simply because I already have a dedicated smoker.

You can find them at Lowe's as well as the manufacturers online store.

I would recommend a charcoal grill (briquets are fine), as would most food appreciators. Whatever you do, unless it is a Weber, don't buy a painted model; they become very ugly (though still serviceable) when the paint peels off. I don't know why only Weber knows how to paint a steel-shell grill.

Ray

Do yourself a favor and check out a Big Green Egg. You can find their web site here... BigGreenEgg.com. While there, check out their forum, and post any questions you might have, except requesting comparisons. They have a rule there that they don't diss or discuss other products... Otherwise, you'll find some very knowledgable and friendly folks there...

I was never a grill person. Liked burgers, but that was about it. My wife and son bought a big green egg for me one Father's Day, and now I have two!!!. I love them. I've held fires at about 180F for 30 hours, to high temp 1000F+ quick sears on steaks. I'll put a 20# chuck roast on it, and 20 hours (+/-) later, some darn good eating. I make steaks as good as any fine steakhouse....maybe better. Rotisserie??? Forget it. Don't need one with the egg..... You'll find that "eggers" are somewhat fanatical.... but with good reason... Check it out.

I don't see the point to gas grills, compared with wood/charcoal, so I'll confine myself to 3 charcoal-related suggestions:

1) Get one with a grill rack where the height is easily adjustable. (Someone above mentioned an adjustable-height fire grate, which I suppose achieves the same purpose; though raising & lowering the grill strikes me as simpler than adjusting the height of a tub of burning coals.)

2) Make sure that the model you get has plenty of adjustable air vents, top and bottom, so that you can control the air flow, and thereby the temperature and amount of smoke, at the grilling surface.

3)Get a charcoal chimney starter, like one of these, so that you'll never have to deal with the stench of lighter fluid infusing your food. (I got a cheap version that I found at Home Depot, works like a charm.)

Happy grilling!

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

This Texan will tell you definitely go for wood/charcoal burning. Although they are harder to master, you will get the hang of it soon, and the flavor is infinitely better.

If you can, see if you can find someone in your area who custom builds them by hand. My father does, as a side hobby/business, and I can not tell you how much I love his grills. He makes them from old propane tanks set sideways, sautered onto a base, and he cuts out a door and builds a handle. He can add a fire box for smoking, you can specify size of smoke stack, and the grills come in all sizes, from ones that are so huge they have to be carted on a trailer, and can cook insane amounts of food like twenty briskets at a time, to small ones that can easily be fitted with wheels and moved around a backyard, and are more suited to burgers, steaks, and the occasional turkey. He is building me a medium sized one, with smoke box, and I should have it in a few weeks. I'm so excited! I'll try to post some pictures when mine is ready.

Custom might (actually it probably will) run you a lot more than your average Weber, but that's why it's custom. You can specify exactly, to the letter, what you want. And who can say no to a dual smoker/grill?

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

Another vote for the Weber kettle grill. I bought one about five years ago for my husband's birthday -- however, he has only gotten to actually use it himself perhaps 4 times since then. He claims I am the Grill Hog.

We don't have air conditioning, so from mid-May to end of September, the oven doesn't get turned on -- it's grill or stove top only.

Which reminds me that I need to go and get the grill ready for the season. :cool:

Laurie

Thanks woodburner. I want to go the charcoal route and was curious about how you effectively adjust the heat, Hasty Bake's option of an adjustable fire box does seem to give you the best of both worlds.

I have been cookin with 'wood" for twenty years or so on various grills.

I suggest you go to Barbeque's Galore.

Barbeques Galore

My current grill is a Bar B Chef (their house brand)

Best I have ever used for the money!

This is the rig that Alton Brown uses on his grilling episodes.

These grills have an adjustable fire box (crank handle) like the Hasty Bake (a good model but IMOP expensive).

Cast iron grates etc and a front loading door with easy access to the fire box so you can add fuel easily.

Mine cost me about $500 and is very well made.

also

Barbeques Galore (a chain operation) is a great place-everything one needs for grilling and smoking--from a large selection of fuels to implements to grills gas and wood, charcoal grills and smokers , hot sauces, marinades, you name it they probably got it.

Highly recommended.

Another vote for the Weber kettle grill.  I bought one about five years ago for my husband's birthday -- however, he has only gotten to actually use it himself perhaps 4 times since then.  He claims I am the Grill Hog.

We don't have air conditioning, so from mid-May to end of September, the oven doesn't get turned on -- it's grill or stove top only.

Which reminds me that I need to go and get the grill ready for the season.  :cool:

Laurie

I, too, will extoll the virtues of the Weber Kettle. Get the big one (21-1/2 griill, and do get the grill thing that has the hinged things so you can easily add charcoal and wood for smoking meat :wub: )

We've had our for somewhere between 20 and 25 years. At one point, the handle came off, and we riveted it back on.

This grill has been a trusty and faithful companion for these many years, and with some practice, and once the grill gets old and heavy, is capable of doing some mighty fine meat smoking, as well as grilling (as I have attested to on may meat smoking topics on the Cooking forum).

It will lasst you many, many years, as mine has. And mine has many, many more miles to go. I love the fact that I am not reliant on a gas tank; charcoal is usually more available, and as I've discovered up at our cabin, wood can work just fine. The vents get a bit loose, which means you can smoke with some ventilation with the vents fully shut.

Over the last year, I've thought about getting something that is a dedicated smoker, but I balk every time because it seems like I would betry such a good and trustworthy friend.

Weber Kettle. Word.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I like my Vermont Casting gas grill! It has a rotisserie with separate heating element in the back. I have used, and liked, the Webers and I still have a samll charcoal grill that I sometimes use, but I like the convenience of the gas grill.

Bob R in OKC

Bob R in OKC

Home Brewer, Beer & Food Lover!

My friend gave us a large-size Weber Kettle as a wedding present 16 years ago. Still have it, and use it regularly. I've only had to replace the cooking grill because of rust. The replacement grill I bought allows you to flip up the sides to add coals.

I agree that real wood charcoal is the way to go. I use Connecticut or Cowboy brand wood charcoal. It lights fast and burns faster and hotter than briquets, and yields superior results. Charcoal does make a difference. I've used gas grills and found the results inferior. The flame just isn't the same. Tip: It's better to use a little more rather than too little charcoal for your fire, or the cooking takes place too slow at too low heat. I use a chimney to start the fire. Avoids accelerant smells and flavor on the food.

The Weber produces tremendous burgers, dogs, steaks, chicken, lamb chops, kabobs. I place the charcoal to the sides, put the lid on, and cook chickens and turkeys in the middle of the grill in one hour. Makes really good roast chicken or turkey--juicy interior, barbequed exterior. Stuffed or unstuffed. Same for roasted leg of lamb.

"Yo, I want one of those!"

I use a Weber Genesis Silver-C, a gas one. I've had it for five years and am extremely happy with it. It's built like a tank and is essentially maintenance free.

http://www.weber.com/bbq/pub/grill/2005/gas/gg_gen_sc.aspx

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Another vote for Weber both propane and charcoal. If you go the charcoal route buy a chimney starter, the coals are ready a lot quicker.

We use the propane for quick things and charcoal for low and slow or all day cooking events.

I have also read favorable reviews of Vermont Casting grills.

I was an inveterate propane grill user for many years. The ease with which you have a prepared, hot grill and the lack of cleanup necessity were the main drivers. A friend convinced me to get a charcoal grill and for a time I used both.

I've come to realize that the apparent speed benefit of propane does not really exist. In the time it takes to get the gas grill to temp, a chimney starter has the coals ready to roll.

I abandoned my gas grill about 18 months ago and have not missed it one bit.

Yeah, but what about all the charcoal ash you have to throw out each time you use it? That's definitely a consideration you have to factor in.

And you really need to wait about 20 minutes after lighting charcoals to get them white hot and for even heat distribution, even with a chimney starter, for the best results. On a gas or LP Weber grill, you set all the burners to high, close the lid, and in five minutes you're ready to go.

I'm not saying that charcoal grilling isn't wonderful. It is. But there are definite advantages to gas and to say charcoal is better for speed reasons is not accurate.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Yeah, but what about all the charcoal ash you have to throw out each time you use it? That's definitely a consideration you have to factor in.

And you really need to wait about 20 minutes after lighting charcoals to get them white hot and for even heat distribution, even with a chimney starter, for the best results. On a gas or LP Weber grill, you set all the burners to high, close the lid, and in five minutes you're ready to go.

I'm not saying that charcoal grilling isn't wonderful. It is. But there are definite advantages to gas and to say charcoal is better for speed reasons is not accurate.

Jason, when I cook on my weber with lump charcoal (using a chimney), I'm cooking within literally 10-15 minutes of ignition. Even with gas, I generally pre-heat for about 10 minutes or so, so the difference in time is slight.

Afterwards, the ash is only mildly annoying. I bought a steel trash can with a lid, which resides right next to my weber. I simply dump the spent ashes into it before each cooking session. When that can gets full, I dump it into a bag and send it out with the trash.

That said, I also have a gas grill and do think they're occasionally useful. But, if I had to choose only one, I'd select charcoal because not only do I think the food cooked on them tastes better, but they're also a bit more versatile as they can be used for smoking, etc. But yeah, gas is marginally faster, especially when you factor in the clean-up time.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com