• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Barbecue/Smoker Recommendations

helenas

FatTony:

First, where were my manners: Welcome to eGullet.

Second, no, I have no experience with either the Kamado or the Big Green Egg. However, when my Weber Performer (charcoal with gas ignition) finally craps out, I am thinking of going in that direction. Since you listed Tandori as something you wanted to cook on your grill, I thought the ceramic units were something yoiu might want to consider. It appears that you can fire them up to really high temperatures.

But I agree with the others, there is a wealth of information on this topic on eGullet and I suggest you do some searching around.

Also, you should report back in once you have made up your mind and let the group know what factors went into your decision making.

FatTony, welcome to eGullet.

Personally, I'm a Weber guy, despite having dreams of owning one type of smoker/cooker/grill for each style of outdoor cooking, including the Kamado, the Chinese box, a trailer-mounted Klose, a Santa Maria-style grill, a built in brick pit and anything else. Sorry, I digress. IMHO, the lack of height adjustment on a Weber isn't much of a hinderance. I usually build a two or three level fire as suggested by Chris Schlesinger.

Ultimately, though, I believe in the old bbq truism - "It ain't the pit, it's the pitmaster."

~Tad

Fat Tony,

Welcome...a mixed blessing since you'll soon find that eGullet consumes most of your 'free' time.

Anyway, I cook on a Weber a lot, and while I lust for other fire burners and have plans for expanding my ability to set fires, you can cook almost anything on the Weber. The fixed grill isn't an issue...I adjust heat by banking the coals up one side of the weber (and I use real wood charcoal, often called lump briquet...check your local True Value, where it's an inventory item and can be ordered).

Light the fire with a charcoal chimney, and when it's ready, pour the coals onto one side in a sloping pile. For searing and other direct heat cooking, put the food over the top of the pile. For less intense direct heat, move the food over the bottom of the pile...indirect goes off to the side where there are no coals.

Be sure to read the brine stuff by Lord of the Fire-Ring barbecue master col klink.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

Where do you live? I have a Weber with a porcelain exterior. If I had something like cast iron - it would rust out in about 12 months (I live in the south less than a mile from the ocean). Robyn

Welcome FatTony. You have touched on a topic dear to the hearts of many of us. I will second the suggestion for checking out the eGCI. But I think I have found just what you need. :laugh:

I got up close and personal with it here.

I have a Char-Griller like set up but I only used it for smoking. Then I got the Weber Smoky Mountain and that is now my main smoker but the other rig may see some grilling duty.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Fat Tony,

I have been driving a 22.5 for twenty years and you won't go wrong there. Its an incredibly verstile piece of equiptment. I have cooked two pork butts at a time, and a whole untrimmed brisket on it with great success. Shish kabobs, salmon, steaks, and chicken. The beauty of a weber is in the air flow. You can adjust to get any temperature you are looking for with the upper and lower air vents. And you can start out with a sear and then transfer over to the cool side and pop the top the top on for a good roast. I find it far superior to any smoker, and I have tried a few. The problem with most smokers is that by default there is way too little air flow to sustain a fire for more than a few hours. Might be able to do some ribs but just try to cook a whole brisket. The problem with most movable grill height rigs is that they are way to close to to the fire from the get go, and won't let you get any higher. Try bbqing some chicken in that configuration and you will be in for some very dark meat. The great thing about the weber is that the meat is far enough away from the coals that when the dripping fat cathches flame the meat is not so close that is just burns up. I am not familiar with the Kamado or the big egg, but they look a little pricey, save your money for some veal loin chops. Hope this helps. ch

Ps. The folks at Weber are great and the availability of spare parts is a plus. Like a classic Ford, you could keep a Weber going almost indefinately.

Thanks all for the thought-provoking (and maddeningly conflicting) responses. But hey, this is grilling and consensus was always going to be out of the question.

I have to say I have been obsessing about the Kamado ever since I saw it but worry how on earth I am going to get a four hundred pound beast up my stairs and on to the roof deck. But it speaks to my tandoor and brick oven pizza fantasies. The Char Griller looks a great deal and solidly made.

Decisions decisions...

I have my heart set on the Bar-B-Chef Texas Charcoal Grill mentioned above unless I can be convinced diferently. The Char-Grill ones also look very good especially for smoking.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

My vote is for the Weber 22 1/2". I know a lot of people who swear by the ceramic cookers, and I don't doubt them. Their big problems are portability and cooking surface area. Depending on where you live, shipping cost for a ceramic can be painful. You can break down the Weber and take it anywhere.

Another possibility is the Weber Smoky Mountain water smoker. It is a great smoker, and you can do a fair approximation of grilling by removing the water pan.

Jim

The problem with most smokers is that by default there is way too little air flow to sustain a fire for more than a few hours.

I dunno about that. I can go at least 14 hours with one load of charcoal and wood chunks in my Weber Smoky Mountain. I set it up, be sure the temperature is stabilized, and go to bed. Or, at least, I just don't touch it again. For an 18 hour brisket, I may add a little charcoal at the end but I am not sure I need to.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

So far, no one has mentioned the Weber Ranch Kettle, as a possible unit. You have made no mention of what your budget, or maybe more importantly, what your skill level is, regarding cooking, over a live wood fire.

You do mention cooking for a 8, a possiblity.

To me, that runs an entire gambit of cooking for an entire summer afternoon, by the pool, with food ranging from freshly made sausages, onto a quickly seared scallop amuse, to accompany jalapeno's stuffed with cheese, wrapped in bacon, lightly smoked, and possibly ending with an 21 day aged, grilled ribeye.

No question, the Weber Kettle is the most highly prized cooking unit among weekend warriors, but only you can make the decision, to take your cooking to a different level.

If I were to opt for a 22 1/2" kettle, the need for two or three, would certainly come first to mind.

Weber Ranch

woodburner

The problem with most smokers is that by default there is way too little air flow to sustain a fire for more than a few hours.

I dunno about that. I can go at least 14 hours with one load of charcoal and wood chunks in my Weber Smoky Mountain. I set it up, be sure the temperature is stabilized, and go to bed. Or, at least, I just don't touch it again. For an 18 hour brisket, I may add a little charcoal at the end but I am not sure I need to.

Listen to fifi.

woodburner

woodburner... What is it about the Weber Ranch that makes it cost $1000? I am now picking my lower jaw up off the floor. I only paid $189 for my smoker. What is in that thing?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Here's a link to our Kamado thread:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...34179

I'm looking to pick one of these up this spring to complement my Weber gas grill.

The Kamado is unique in that its made out of ceramic, and it can burn dual fuels -- both charcoal and gas, and you can smoke and do low temperature cooking in it, which is essential for real BBQ.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

woodburner... What is it about the Weber Ranch that makes it cost $1000? I am now picking my lower jaw up off the floor. I only paid $189 for my smoker. What is in that thing?

It looks like you're paying for grill space (being able to grill for a crowd).

From one of the reviews:

I filled the grill with 20 chicken halves.

Also, the triple nickel plated hinged cooking grate sounds like it won't rust out.

But for $1,000? :hmmm:

That's a bit steep for me, too.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Here's a link to our Kamado thread:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...34179

I'm looking to pick one of these up this spring to complement my Weber gas grill.

The Kamado is unique in that its made out of ceramic, and it can burn dual fuels -- both charcoal and gas, and you can smoke and do low temperature cooking in it, which is essential for real BBQ.

Jason,

You need to look around.

Round cooking vessel's leave much to be desired.

Many innovative pit builders early on, thought round to be right.

Is your oven round??

woodburner

Porcelain coating, is what brings in the crowd, and cost.

It is a fairly expensive procedure, that works well, and lasts a long time in many different climates, which is what the public calls for.

Can it cook, and hold up to high heat?? Yup.

Modern technology has surpassed porcelian, I might add that a high end insulated cooker, affords a more stable enviornment, and attracts a much different crowd.

woodburner

From one of the reviews:

Also, the triple nickel plated hinged cooking grate sounds like it won't rust out.

Does steep for you, make it wrong??

I suggest it only puts it out of your price range, but surely not in the least bit a bad thing.

woodburner

From one of the reviews:

Does steep for you, make it wrong??

I suggest it only puts it out of your price range, but surely not in the least bit a bad thing.

woodburner

Steep for me means it's insanely priced in relation to my budget. Hence, steep=wrong for me.

I am questioning why something so similar to a simple split barrel BBQ should cost so much. My guess is you're paying all that money for the name.

Hey, whatever floats your boat or smokes your turkey...

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver