• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Barbecue/Smoker Recommendations

helenas

I also heard that briquettes burn cooler that the lump charcoal I use.  Any truth to that or is it another suburban legend?

It's very true, lump charcoal burns hotter. For long slow, use the chips and briquettes. You'll find them to be more stable than lump at the lower temps.

that's something i'd noticed lately. i had dabbled with hardwood charcoal over the last couple of years ... oddly enough, it's hard for me to find a regular supply close. i picked up some from whole foods this week ... looked like it was a lot of construction scraps ... and it burned so fast that a full bag lasted just under an hour. whoosh. hot, too. melted the heat-proof (ha!) handle on my chimney.

• 2 weeks later...

Using some of the ideas from here, I had good results in keeping the temperature within a consistent 250-275 range. Partially closing the top vent helped considerably.

For the recent egullet event, I smoked 2 turkey breasts, one with a pastrami cure and one with standard brine and then injected with a butter/chicken stock/Cajun spice mixture. It only took them only a little over 2 hours to reach an internal temperature of 165, both were about 6lbs. I was reasonably happy with the outcome, both were moist and flavorful. Adding some chipolte chile powder to the pastrami dry rub added a nice touch of heat. The only problem is my frig still smells like a deli after having the turkey pastrami curing for 24 hours.

I think the weber charcoal grill will just require more attention and adding charcoal at closer intervals that using a WSM.

I also heard that briquettes burn cooler that the lump charcoal I use. Any truth to that or is it another suburban legend?

It's very true, lump charcoal burns hotter. For long slow, use the chips and briquettes. You'll find them to be more stable than lump at the lower temps.

What is the difference between lump/charcoal/briquette/hardwood?

I use a product called mesquite charcoal (100% mesquite); it is not labelled as briquet or lump. In appearance, it looks like uneven chunks of wood, but charred black. It's tricky to get the fire started, it doesn't seem to get all that hot, (no thermometer, I'm only a casual griller) and it seems to burn out quickly. Reading this thread, I'm not sure which parts of the discussion might help me understand what I'm working with. Can anyone explain further?

Thanks.

afn

that's something i'd noticed lately. i had dabbled with hardwood charcoal over the last couple of years ... oddly enough, it's hard for me to find a regular supply close. i picked up some from whole foods this week ... looked like it was a lot of construction scraps ... and it burned so fast that a full bag lasted just under an hour. whoosh. hot, too. melted the heat-proof (ha!) handle on my chimney.

OSH has Lazzari in 20 pound bags.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

• 2 weeks later...

After almost a decade of pent up smoking and grilling desires I finally find myself in a position to purchase a decent BBQ smoker. Not looking for a gas grill but a proper BBQ smoker / charcoal grill mind you.

From my research appears to be two extremes, el cheapo flimsy low gauge steel ones for about a $100 or decent ones for a $1000 +. Not much around the $200 - $400 range, which is about all I have to spend for the moment. Checked out the webers but the shallow cover appears to limit the type of meats you can use.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

I have a New Braunfels with the offset firebox that I have had for about 6 years. I paid about $180 for it and it is still good. Not pretty, but still good. It is in storage now so I am aquiring a Weber water smoker that will fit on my apartment balconey for the duration until I get my house built. That is also less than $200.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Yep... What melkor said. The Weber Smokey Mountain is what I am getting. I just couldn't remember the name.

Edited by fifi (log)

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

FOr smoking only, I would recommend the WSM, too.

But SG- is looking for a combination smoker/grill, and the WSM is not set up for grilling. The Char-Griller is, as is the corresponding New Braunfels (I'd stay away from the cheapest of their units -- the $99 one, but the rest are very good).

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I have the Char-Griller unit and have enjoyed great results (thanks for everyone’s tips!). The offset box is great for smoking, and I have used it for a small grill and also used the main chamber for grilling up a number of steaks. Very versatile!

FOr smoking only, I would recommend the WSM, too.

But SG- is looking for a combination smoker/grill, and the WSM is not set up for grilling. The Char-Griller is, as is the corresponding New Braunfels (I'd stay away from the cheapest of their units -- the $99 one, but the rest are very good).

A few people are starting to experiment with using the WSM as a grill by removing the water pan. I've not bothered to try it myself since I also have a Weber kettle.

Jim

I've heard great things about the Char-Griller but ended up buying a WSM and a Weber Kettle for space reasons. I've been greatly impressed with the WSM. I had to do a quick modification to install a thermometer... aside from that, it's a pretty effortless piece of equipment that produces great results.

-Steven

There are three or four extensive threads on smokers and grills, which I would search for if I had the energy.

No reason to spend your energy on that when Smart and Final in Vallejo has whole USDA Choice briskets on sale for $1.35/lb.

There are three or four extensive threads on smokers and grills, which I would search for if I had the energy.

tommy will do the search. Just PM him.

He's recently been named as the official eGullet librarian & archivist.

IMHO, it really depends on what kind of set up you're planning, how many people you want to feed at once, how long you plan on living in your house, etc. You can buy those $2500-$8000 smoker/grills that'll outlast your house, or you can go for the $100-$1000 bad boys that'll do the trick, but not be as beefy. At any price, the only guarantee is to know what you're doing. I've seen people make award-winning BBQ using a Weber kettle, and I've seen people make shoe leather using $6000 smokers.

If this is your first taste with smoking/grilling, go for something more affordable. There's the WSM, and a Brinkmann El-Cheapo smoker that you can use for practice. As you gain experience, you'll find out your likes/dislikes about certain models and what you want from a $1000+ smoker.

Because of space (and budget) reasons, I've got the Weber Kettle One-Touch Gold. It's a great little grill, and you can smoke with it effectively if you know the basics. A little more difficult for smoking, but fun and practical without breaking the bank.

No reason to spend your energy on that when Smart and Final in Vallejo has whole USDA Choice briskets on sale for $1.35/lb.

Sweet, and I've got nothing to do this weekend.

Wait. That's not sweet. Hmmm [he says, looking around], what did I do what that life?