• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bianco Vermouth

Mayur

So, given the reintroduction of the M&R Bianco into US markets, and the kinda-sorta-spike in cocktails using Bianco vermouth, my basic question is: Which one do you, the cognoscenti, prefer?

I generally find the M&R red unacceptably musty and the white just kind of boring, but a) neither of those are the Bianco and b) my opinion on those products may be completely wrongheaded. ;) Any thoughts generally on the competing Bianchi?

Edited by Mayur (log)
Mayur Subbarao, aka "Mayur"

I have to admit I've never tried a Bianco Vermouth.

I guess they are sort of half way between the stronger flavored Rossos and Milder Dry Vermouth?

Is there any cocktail use for them?

Cocktails that take particular advantage?

Or are they just for drinking straight?

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I'm a real big fan of the Bianco vermouth and I think hands and pants down the Martini and Rossi I feel is far superior to the cinzano. The drinks I've used the bianco for are clearly a different and inferior drink with the cinzano. One of my favorite uses of the Bianco is its affinity with tequila. Very very lovely combo.

Thanks for the recs, phlip!

Given the excellent drinks I've had at D&Co with M&R (both rosso and bianco), I probably should redact my earlier criticism. That said, I've never been able to produce a M&R rosso drink to my tastes at home (or for that matter order one at Pegu, Little Branch, or M&H). Hmm.

Just got done with some fill-in (amateur) bartending at an old university favorite...

Half grapefruit (divided into four eighths)

2 oz. jalapeno-infused blanco tequila (Herradura silver)

0.75 oz. M&R bianco

0.75 oz. elderflower syrup (housemade)

0.25 oz lime juice

Muddle grapefruit sections in mixing glass. Add other ingredients plus ice, shake, and strain into chilled cocktail glass. (Yeah, it's a little too big, but scaling it down gets us into weird measures, so I left it like that.)

A nice demonstration of how the bianco plus tequila works. Thanks for the tip, phlip!

Edited by Mayur (log)

• 2 months later...

I picked up a bottle of bianco vermouth this week. I actually walked into my neighborhood supermarket intent on buying a bottle of chartreuse, but it was just too expensive to pull the trigger. Instead, I walked out with applejack, falernum and bianco vermouth. This month, I'm playing with less expensive ingredients.

So what can I do with this vermouth? It's actually pretty nice just to sip. But what cocktails would use it?

I assumed that it would work as a sweet vermouth substitute, but a 2:1 Manhattan made with bianco vermouth and 4 dashes of Angostura is pretty hot and rough. Maybe I need to up the proportions? Or maybe a perfect Manhattan with sweet and bianco?

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

A Martinez variant works well:

2 oz gin

1/2 oz bianco vermouth

1/4 maraschino

a dash of bitters.

Another use is a vieux carre variant of some kind; I find that equal parts gin + tequila + bianco with some interesting bitters (I use some Peychaud's, some Bitter Truth lemon), a dash of Pernod, and a flamed lemon peel is delicious.

Phil at Death & Co made me a drink with Bushmills + bianco a while back, but since it also had chartreuse, you're a bit out of luck there. :(

Tequila and bianco are generally quite lovely; even just 2 reposado tequila to 1/2 bianco plus some Angostura is nice.

Also from Phil at Death&Co, there's the Rojo Bianco, which I've interpreted to the best of my abilities as:

2 oz reposado tequila

1/2 oz bianco vermouth

1/2 oz maraschino liqueur

1/2 oz Campari

I also like a similar take with an assertive gin as the base (Beefeaters or the like).

Christopher

• 4 weeks later...
I actually walked into my neighborhood supermarket ... I walked out with applejack, falernum and bianco vermouth.

What supermarket is this? What type of falernum did you pick up there? This seems like a nice selection for a supermarket...

The supermarket was Dorignac's in Metairie, LA (just outside New Orleans). The falernum was John D. Taylor's Velvet. And yes, it's a pretty amazing selection. Not a gourmet place, just a locals place.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)