• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining between York and Reading

keeperrox

Hi all. Although we had plans to go out with my in-laws tomorrow to Left Bank in York for about a week now to celebrate our anniversary, they called tonight and decided they do not want to do that any more. Instead, they said they are going to meet us half way; they are in West York and we are just west of Reading. They said that they want us to pick the place even though they are taking us out, so I figured we’d meet up somewhere near Lancaster.

Here's the catch. My mother-in-law is THE.PICKIEST person I have ever met. Not only does she change everything she orders beyond recognition, she typically only takes 2 or 3 bites and then takes the rest home to the dog. She doesn't eat beef, pork, turkey, duck, fish, or seafood, which pretty much only leaves chicken, pasta, and vegetables. She doesn't like spicy, she doesn't like creamy, and I'm convinced that if a restaurant served boiled chicken with steamed vegetables and white rice she'd order it. I have found recommendations for plenty of places that meet the location requirements, but I'm afraid my MIL wouldn't like anything on the menu and just sit there and pout. Dining out with her, especially at a place she's never been before, is not a pleasant experience, to say the least.

My husband can be adventurous, but is a meat and potatoes type at heart, I will eat anything that is put together well, and her significant other usually can find something to eat whenever we go out. I wish they would just pick a place, but are playing the "Oh, where ever you want to go," game.

So, to sum up this ridiculous post, I need a recommendation for somewhere my MIL can play it safe, but everyone else can actually have a good meal.

Edited by keeperrox (log)

This may be too late for any help, but will she eat red sauce Italian? One possibility may be Lombardo's in Lancaster. Certainly plenty of pasta and they have chicken as well. They would give her unsauced pasta and chicken if she wanted that. Nothing exceptional there for the other diners, but it may work for you. Sorry I did not see your post sooner.

Lombado's