• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Too many pretzels

ellencho

I think I'm probably one of the only people in the universe who doesn't like these types of pretzels. Luckily the bf enjoys them, but he can only eat so many in one day.

IMG_3572.jpg

So obviously they are going to go stale soon and we won't be able to finish them. I'd hate to throw them out tonight - what would you guys do with a whole bunch of these doughy pretzels?

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

Yum, those look good - send them to me! :raz:

I guess you could freeze them and heat them up in the oven whenever anyone wants one. Or slice them up thinly into rounds and toast them till crispy, sort of like bagel crisps or crostini?

I like the Snyder's pretzel nuggets which look like those pretzels torn in small chunks and baked after being coated in flavoring till crunchy. Oil, honey mustard, and garlic seem like they would work to toss with and then bake till crispy.

I bet you could make great pizza bottoms out of them, just add toppings and melt cheese.

I'd be tempted to rub off the salt, heat them up, dip them in butter, and coat them with cinnamon sugar. Or heck, leave the salt on there, what the hell. Life is short.

I'd also be tempted to cut them in little slices and bake them for pretzel chips.

Use them as hot dog rolls?

Send them all to me, now I'm hungry.

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

Mmm; food processor into crumbs, toast and use as a crust ingredient for fruit pies, like a margarita pie with lime juice and condensed milk, etc. HTH!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Well, wrap those pups up and freeze them!

They will keep forever if properly wrapped and frozen. Later have a fondue and bring them out to be dipped in cheesey goodness. :wub:

---------------------------------------

Bread pudding, or rather Pretzel pudding. I  can imagine it being interesting with that litle bit of saltiness.

I can't imagine a sweet bread pudding working all that well but you could make a savory bread pudding. Maybe with some mushrooms and herbs and cheese.

PS: I am a guy.

I can't imagine a sweet bread pudding working all that well...

I can. Split them puppies, butter 'em, put them in a baking dish, layer on some caramelized apples or pears, pour on your favorite custard mixture, let stand a few minutes, spinkle with course sugar and bake. I haven't actually tried it but I can imagine it and it sounds good in my head.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'll defintely be turning some of them into bread crumbs.

Also, I think if I were to let the pretzels sit overnight in the fridge in the custard mix a pretzel pudding should definitely work.

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

Here's a pic of my pretzel pudding. I added two grated apples, some cinnamon and nutmeg and a dusting of brown sugar on top. I was afraid the pretzels would be tough but they soaked up the custard quite well and were soft.

IMG_3583.jpg

IMG_3595.jpg

Here's a pic of my pretzel pudding. I added two grated apples, some cinnamon and nutmeg and a dusting of brown sugar on top. I was afraid the pretzels would be tough but they soaked up the custard quite well and were soft.

IMG_3583.jpg

IMG_3595.jpg

Awesome! GTO's suggestion sounded like a really good idea to me too. How's the taste?

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

It turned out pretty good. The apples were kinda old, so I was worried about not being able to taste them, but there was definitely a noticeable apple/tartness taste. I only had some canned whipped cream in the house to offset the tartness but I'm thinking a good quality vanilla ice cream would match really well with it.