• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Blasts from the past food labels

GlorifiedRice

• 2 months later...

i have been dying to remember the name of the cereal that was like shredded wheat but filled with fruit like blueberry or strawberry... this has been killing me for about 3 months now...in the early 90's? i used to totally throw down on that cereal....when the milk would sog out the wheat oh man i wish they still made that stuff

i have been dying to remember the name of the cereal that was like shredded wheat but filled with fruit like blueberry or strawberry... this has been killing me for about 3 months now...in the early 90's? i used to totally throw down on that cereal....when the milk would sog out the wheat oh man i wish they still made that stuff

OMG I love that too - I went to college in Iowa (University of Iowa in Iowa City) and the Super-Walmart there had a large grocery section, and I would buy the cerial (shredded wheatish) filled with apricot - that was the only selection - but omg was it GOOD. I loved it straight from the box - good in milk too of course.

Why in the world did they discontinue it? It was soooo soooo sooo good! I wish I knew the name - I am in the same nameless boat as you!

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

I like all the cereal boxes.

My mom usually didn't buy is the stuff like Cocoa Pebbles and Captn' Crunch, but we would sometimes get Froot Loops and Apple Jacks. And Sugar Smacks. I remembered when they were called Sugar Smacks, then they dropped "Sugar" from the name.

Who were they fooling? I guess that's where KFC got the idea.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

OMG I love that too - I went to college in Iowa (University of Iowa in Iowa City) and the Super-Walmart there had a large grocery section, and I would buy the cerial (shredded wheatish) filled with apricot - that was the only selection - but omg was it GOOD. I loved it straight from the box - good in milk too of course.

Sounds just like what I used to do, n the UK it was just called some something like apricot bitesize shredded wheat.

My mom usually didn't buy is the stuff like Cocoa Pebbles and Captn' Crunch, but we would sometimes get Froot Loops and Apple Jacks. And Sugar Smacks.  I remembered when they were called Sugar Smacks, then they dropped "Sugar" from the name.

Along those lines, aren't Sugar Pops now Corn Pops?

I loved Sugar Smacks. It was my first choice whenever we got the Variety-Pak of little cereal boxes. My little box-bowls always leaked, though. :sad:

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

My mom usually didn't buy is the stuff like Cocoa Pebbles and Captn' Crunch, but we would sometimes get Froot Loops and Apple Jacks. And Sugar Smacks.   I remembered when they were called Sugar Smacks, then they dropped "Sugar" from the name.

Along those lines, aren't Sugar Pops now Corn Pops?

I loved Sugar Smacks. It was my first choice whenever we got the Variety-Pak of little cereal boxes. My little box-bowls always leaked, though. :sad:

no.. Sugar Smaks were a rice cereal. Little grains of puffed rice coated in a sugary coating. Corn Pops were/are different.

fruit wheats!!!!!kind of a no-doy moment for me today when all the sudden i just thought fruit wheats!!!all this time i'm like what's that fruit filled wheat cereal???what would i give for a box of blueberry FRUIT WHEATS!!!man that was the best cereal ever only second to quisp.

Quest cereal, tang and space sticks. I think Carnation made the space sticks, I really miss those. I'm sure they tasted like cardboard but I miss them just the same.

"And in the meantime, listen to your appetite and play with your food."

Alton Brown, Good Eats

no.. Sugar Smaks were a rice cereal.  Little grains of puffed rice coated in a sugary coating. Corn Pops were/are different.

Sugar Pops became Corn Pops

Sugar Smacks/Honey Smacks were always wheat.

There has never been a sugar coated rice cereal

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

no.. Sugar Smaks were a rice cereal.  Little grains of puffed rice coated in a sugary coating. Corn Pops were/are different.

OMG no sugar coated rice cereal? We need to make one then. Millions of hyperactive kids (me) demand it.

"And in the meantime, listen to your appetite and play with your food."

Alton Brown, Good Eats

hmm..

They looked like little grains of rice to me. Of course. it's been years since I have had it, so I may be misremembering it.

Yes, and thank you -- I remember Quick Draw McGraw on the Sugar Smacks boxes (not his alter ego, El Kabong). Also, that frog that sang, "dig 'em.) Sugar Pops packages, I can't recall, except for the yellow.

For a while you could buy Rice Krispies Treats Cereal. It was ... okay. I haven't seen it for a while.

Edited by FabulousFoodBabe (log)
"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

I LOVED the fruit wheats too :biggrin: My favorite flavor was the strawberry filled. Once in a while I still take some plain shredded wheat and add a ton of raisins to it to mimic the flavor of the rasin filled ones. I wish they still made that cereal :wub:

Sure there has... I remember Puffa Puffa Rice very fondly. It was my favourite cereal. Only got to eat it at Grandma's, though... mom would never buy us sugar cereal.

d.