• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gund/Goond/Gum

lapageria

Hello, Gulleteers. I've been away for awhile.

I'm doing some off topic research regarding gums and varnishes, and realized the Indian grocery was good source (and cheap) for this stuff. So far I've been able to ID the following stuff I purchased last night in Vallejo, CA.

katri gund/katira goond = Cochlospermum religiosum or Astracantha heratensis or Astragalus hertensis

guggal/guggol = Commiphora mukul (a type of myrrh)

lobah dhoop = Styrax benzoin or a related Styrax, perhaps bezoinoides

But I'm stumped by chaar gund/char goond

I haven't yet run solubility checks (water vs. turps vs. alcohol).

My thoughts are it could be a form of gum arabic (if so, it will dissolve in water) or mastic (but I doubt it; it's too red)

I also purchased something marked "Edible Gum" in English, which looks very much like gum arabic.

Any horticulturist foodies out there who can help?

Noel in Napa

lapageria@aol.com

• 2 weeks later...

Prosopis cineraria, the khejri of Rajasthan, is another leguminous tree that yields significant amounts of edible gum. Important in the 'desert districts' of Marwar, i.e. Churu, Pali and Sikar, one cannot say if quantities are exported, as is the case with gum arabic.

g