• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Southern California Culinary Scene

rjwong

I recently received an e-mail invitation to a James Beard dinner at the end of Sept. over at Providence. And the featured chef is Michel Richard, formerly of Citrus (Los Angeles), now at Citronelle in Washington D.C.

I wonder if he would like to move back to Los Angeles ...  :smile:

Just a thought ...

Is it September? I believe he is doing a dinner at Providence on Saturday, October 20th. He is then at Spago on Sunday (or vice-versa) but is definitely cooking a tasting dinner on Monday the 22nd at Bin 8945. I am definitely flying down for THAT one!

Carolyn, I just copied and paste the following from my Providence newsletter:

Providence will serve as the host restaurant for a nationwide celebration of the 20th Anniversary of the James Beard Foundation. Joining together with renowned chef, and former Angeleno, Michel Richard, Chef Cimarusti and Chef Richard will create a wonderful six-course tasting menu. “Taste America” is a national food festival taking place simultaneously in 20 cities across the country on Friday, September 28 and Saturday, September 29, 2007.

It sounds like Michel Richard is making the rounds in LA. Maybe he wants to come back, ehh???? :wink::wink:

Edited by rjwong (log)

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

I recently received an e-mail invitation to a James Beard dinner at the end of Sept. over at Providence. And the featured chef is Michel Richard, formerly of Citrus (Los Angeles), now at Citronelle in Washington D.C.

I wonder if he would like to move back to Los Angeles ...  :smile:

Just a thought ...

Is it September? I believe he is doing a dinner at Providence on Saturday, October 20th. He is then at Spago on Sunday (or vice-versa) but is definitely cooking a tasting dinner on Monday the 22nd at Bin 8945. I am definitely flying down for THAT one!

Carolyn, I just copied and paste the following from my Providence newsletter:

Providence will serve as the host restaurant for a nationwide celebration of the 20th Anniversary of the James Beard Foundation. Joining together with renowned chef, and former Angeleno, Michel Richard, Chef Cimarusti and Chef Richard will create a wonderful six-course tasting menu. “Taste America” is a national food festival taking place simultaneously in 20 cities across the country on Friday, September 28 and Saturday, September 29, 2007.

It sounds like Michel Richard is making the rounds in LA. Maybe he wants to come back, ehh???? :wink::wink:

Yep - my bad. I was getting my months screwed up. The Bin event is for Monday, October 1st and I am trying to re-arrange some things to fly down for that event (can't wait to see what kind of wine pairings David Haskell comes up with - the man is brilliant!)

I had a nice meal at Craft Dallas not too long after it opened. If they did as good of a job in L.A. as they did here in Big D, then I bet you won't be disappointed out there.

I see the Le Meridien every time I go to L.A. In fact, I've been there a few times for some work functions (but never stayed over night as a guest). The Sofitel was my haunt for years until they completed THEIR renovation and jacked the room rates sky high (nice place though, and I like Simon L.A. and met Kerry Simon a few times and chatted with him briefly. Good guy). Anyway, I don't get to D.C. often, but if I keep going to L.A., it might be nice to get a Jose Andres fix :)

For the rest of the L.A. food scene? I've got such a long list of places to try out. I'm there all the time, but need to convince people to go to some of these places. (I have ventured out on my own, though, and was at least able to hit A.O.C solo.) Spago is still high on the list (if not the top). Gotta try it. Hear it's still solid

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Russell

Le Meridien officially closed in July for the renovation. The renovation will be extremely extremely comprehensive and looks to finish sometime in Spring 2008. The hotel when reopened will be called the SLS at Beverly Hills. As soon as we have more public info will post as I believe what we are working on with Jose Andres will be pretty groundbreaking from a concept and culinary perspective. The renovation was designed by Philippe Starck and will be operated by Starwood under their Luxury collection.

Russ - I heard your news on Michel Richard and got your message. Very interesting indeed. Along with a bevy of other A-listers, he contributed to the very luxuriously priced ($300+ I believe) Peter Michael cookbook. I'd love to get my hands on that book, but what are you going to do? He also appeared on an episode of How to Cook Everything. How Bittman got his hands on such great talent is still crazy to me. Unfortunately we will not be available those dates! I'll be in San Francisco unless something changes.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

Russ - I heard your news on Michel Richard and got your message.  Very interesting indeed.  Along with a bevy of other A-listers, he contributed to the very luxuriously priced ($300+ I believe) Peter Michael cookbook.  I'd love to get my hands on that book, but what are you going to do?  He also appeared on an episode of How to Cook Everything.  How Bittman got his hands on such great talent is still crazy to me.  Unfortunately we will not be available those dates!  I'll be in San Francisco unless something changes.

I've been chatting with some of the organizers of these events...

Apparently at Providence, Michel will be cooking three courses. At the Spago event, he will only be preparing his famed Kit-Kat dessert. At Bin 8945, he is doing a full seven courses as well as signing his book.

I think I picked the right event to attend and can't wait!

Carolyn, do you know the date of the event with Michele Richard at Bin? Is it open to the public?

Thanks.

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

Carolyn, do you know the date of the event with Michele Richard at Bin?  Is it open to the public?

Thanks.

It is Monday, October 1st. It is open to the public but filling quickly as the restaurant is very small. Since they just had a guest chef last Sunday night, they have yet to update their website but I am on their mailing list and knew about this event early on (actually, I might have asked who their guest chefs were for the rest of the year). I believe it is $105 for the seven-course dinner and an additional $65.00/$100.00 for wine pairings, depending on how much you want to drink.

Carolyn, do you know the date of the event with Michele Richard at Bin?  Is it open to the public?

Thanks.

It is Monday, October 1st. It is open to the public but filling quickly as the restaurant is very small. Since they just had a guest chef last Sunday night, they have yet to update their website but I am on their mailing list and knew about this event early on (actually, I might have asked who their guest chefs were for the rest of the year). I believe it is $105 for the seven-course dinner and an additional $65.00/$100.00 for wine pairings, depending on how much you want to drink.

Thanks for the response, sounds like a great event!

"A man's got to believe in something...I believe I'll have another drink." -W.C. Fields

Price correction - 7 courses is $135.00 with a choice of a $65.00 and a $100.00 pairing. No BYO.

So I guess bringing a 40oz of malt liquor as my beverage accompaniment would be poor form?

It was reported to me that Bastide is re-opening next week (in Sept. 2007). First, it's Alain (****). Then, it's Ludo (*). And now, it's Walter (????). What will Irene do this time?

Apparently, that has been confirmed in the LA Times "Daily Dish" blog, among other places on the Web.

NB I do have other sources besides the LA Times and other food websites ... :hmmm::hmmm:

I read about this and I think that with all the breathless hype about the Mozzas and Craft that this re-opening is almost coming in under the radar. probably a good thing. Should be interesting to see how it turns out.

If I recall correctly, wasn't Prytka trying to make it a bit more casual and far less adventurous?

Keep an ear out for new and collaborative ventures from the Providence crew!!

And please, please, please, check out Sushi Nishi-ya on the Burbank/Glendale border.

Amongst the myriad sushi jaunts in L.A. County, this is truly "a diamond in the rough"!

Favorites include;

-Santa Barbara Sea Urchin,

-Scottish Salmon "Two Ways"; Smoked and with a sliver of Sweet Kelp

-(I think she said); "Japan Scallop" -It was INCREDIBLE!

-Hama Hama oyster w/light citrus sauce

-Maryland Blue Crab-hand roll

and dessert;

Tomago (when he has it)

A place like this doesn't last long unless folks like us support them.

In case it doesn't make it, go now!

Sushi Nishi-ya

1712 Victory Blvd

Glendale 91201

818-244-2933

open for lunch 12-2

closed Sundays

$$

Keep an ear out for new and collaborative ventures from the Providence crew!!

If you only knew ... I've been trying to get more info from one of the owners but he's not saying anything until it's "official." Mind you, he then spurts out secrets to an LA Times food writer (and it's not Russ Parsons) and they're now posted on LAT's "Daily Dish" blog ... that crazy Italian ... :angry::angry:

And please, please, please, check out Sushi Nishi-ya on the Burbank/Glendale border.

Amongst the myriad sushi jaunts in L.A. County, this is truly "a diamond in the rough"!

Is this a new sushi place? Or has this place been around for many years, located on the corner of Victory and Western, katty-corner from the Chevron station??

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I got a chance to  chat with Chef Kahn about a few things. He is currently working for Michael Mina helping set up pastry departments at various Michael Mina restaurants that will be opening around the country. While currently based in San Francisco, his ultimate objective at this point is Los Angeles where Mina will be opening what appears to be a major restaurant.

Jordan Kahn in Los Angeles, ehh?? I wouldn't mind that. I did hear a while back that Michael Mina was looking around LA for a place. He does have Stonehill Tavern over in nearby Orange County CA. I haven't heard anything recently though ...

LA is certainly in Mina's sights as well as Kahn's. I think the combination should be very exciting. I think Mina if he is going to do L.A., wants to make sure that he does it right so I don't think that you will likely be hearing much more unless and until it comes closer to fruition.

I've copied a portion of a post from docsconz's Starchefz conference thread. I'm pondering whether Stonehill Tavern is a testing ground of sorts for Mina before he commits himself to the LA area. Mind you, LA is quite different from OC ... And it doesn't hurt to wait and see what happens with other places like the two Mozzas, Craft, and Bastide.

If anyone has an update on what's going on with Michael Mina and/or Jordan Kahn coming to Los Angeles, by all means, spill your guts out, will ya!!?? :biggrin::biggrin:

I got a chance to  chat with Chef Kahn about a few things. He is currently working for Michael Mina helping set up pastry departments at various Michael Mina restaurants that will be opening around the country. While currently based in San Francisco, his ultimate objective at this point is Los Angeles where Mina will be opening what appears to be a major restaurant.

Jordan Kahn in Los Angeles, ehh?? I wouldn't mind that. I did hear a while back that Michael Mina was looking around LA for a place. He does have Stonehill Tavern over in nearby Orange County CA. I haven't heard anything recently though ...

LA is certainly in Mina's sights as well as Kahn's. I think the combination should be very exciting. I think Mina if he is going to do L.A., wants to make sure that he does it right so I don't think that you will likely be hearing much more unless and until it comes closer to fruition.

I've copied a portion of a post from docsconz's Starchefz conference thread. I'm pondering whether Stonehill Tavern is a testing ground of sorts for Mina before he commits himself to the LA area. Mind you, LA is quite different from OC ... And it doesn't hurt to wait and see what happens with other places like the two Mozzas, Craft, and Bastide.

If anyone has an update on what's going on with Michael Mina and/or Jordan Kahn coming to Los Angeles, by all means, spill your guts out, will ya!!?? :biggrin::biggrin:

LA seems like a natural for Mina at this point, though I wonder if he can do enough to really set himself apart from the group....

As far as Jordan Kahn working for Mina, that is exciting news, awhile back when he announced he was going to San Francisco I was curious, now it makes sense.

I'm pondering whether Stonehill Tavern is a testing ground of sorts for Mina before he commits himself to the LA area.

Maybe, but I think he simply wanted to come back to Orange County to set the record straight after the failure of Aqua. I don't know that he was testing the market so much as making a triumphant return to the same area. He should spend some time though at Stonehill because I think that restaurant is suffering from a lack of quality and service at the moment. If he does come to Los Angeles, he should take some time to work on the new restaurant plus the repair of the first.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

By the way, has anybody tried Suzanne Tracht's new restaurant in Long Beach? LA Times wrote a somewhat mixed but mostly positive review. It sounds like the menu is basically the same as at Jar but the reviewer had some obvious service issues.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

The OC Weekly recently reviewed the Arches, which is now settled in its new location in the former Aubregine space near the Cannery Village on the pennisula, they found it to be as good as ever.

Link:

http://www.ocweekly.com/food/feature-revie...n-arches/27834/

The interesting thing is that in that review it notes that the old Arches space is now owned by McG, as in the director of souless films, which I found very interesting given that I had heard it was owned by Tim and Liza Goddell and was the future home of their new restaturant. Now perhaps McG is the owner or a part owner and the Goddell's still plan on opening a restaurant there, but who knows...

I had dinner at Bastide about a week and a half ago, and really think it's firing on all cylinders right now. The only shame was that I actually made our reservations on the first day the line was open, so I had my pick of dates. It's my understanding that during the first week, all ht meals were on the house, followed by free wine pairings the seecond week. I think that's a very nice touch for a reopening, and I'm obviously sorry I missed it.

At any rate, I enjoyed each and every course and was very impressed with the service, which was spot on with the attentiveness/invisibility balance. I also enjoyed the fact that on one or two occasions our wine glass was nearing emptiness while a course still had food left, and it was refilled immediately. This should be a no-brainer, but all too often I have felt a restaurant was enforcing some kind of "one pour" rule during wine pairings.

I would certainly recommend it for a special dinner.

Oh, for those who've been following the new decor, when we dined there the chairs were comfortable and cushioned, so it seems they have replaced the seating which was in place initially upon reopening.

I had dinner at Bastide about a week and a half ago, and really think it's firing on all cylinders right now. The only shame was that I actually made our reservations on the first day the line was open, so I had my pick of dates. It's my understanding that during the first week, all ht meals were on the house, followed by free wine pairings the seecond week. I think that's a very nice touch for a reopening, and I'm obviously sorry I missed it.

At any rate, I enjoyed each and every course and was very impressed with the service, which was spot on with the attentiveness/invisibility balance. I also enjoyed the fact that on one or two occasions our wine glass was nearing emptiness while a course still had food left, and it was refilled immediately. This should be a no-brainer, but all too often I have felt a restaurant was enforcing some kind of "one pour" rule during wine pairings.

I would certainly recommend it for a special dinner.

Oh, for those who've been following the new decor, when we dined there the chairs were comfortable and cushioned, so it seems they have replaced the seating which was in place initially upon reopening.

Thanks for the report, glad to hear Bastide is back in action and looking good!

Can you give us some sort of idea about the food you had? Maybe general style, quality?

Thanks!