• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need orange marmelade help

Krys Stanley

This was my first practice marmelade ... what is it that makes it well, marmelade?

Is it sugar or the pectin in the peels.

I tried scaling down a recipe as a first try. Most recipes have equal parts of sliced fruit, sugar and water. I tried scaling down the sugar.

Here's what I did

1 orange sliced thin (one cup)

1 cup water

4 teaspoons sugar

Brought to a boil and then cooked until liquid was reduced. All it looks like is cooked oranges.

Can I save this? Suggestions for the future?

Edited by Krys Stanley (log)

You need the sugar and water to be in the correct ratio, ie equal parts.

Get yourself a thermometer. You need to get the jam to 104 degrees C (220 F) for the sugar to react with the pectin and set. You can also try some of the numerous set tests.

Here is a trusted (old) Marmalade Recipe (scale to suit)

4 Large Oranges

2 Lemons

12 Breakfast cups Sugar

12 Breakfast cups water

one Breakfast cup = 284 milliliters

Slice the fruit finely, removing and keeping the pips.

Put the sliced fruit in a large basin and cover with the water, tie the pips in a muslin bag and put them in with the fruit.

Soak overnight

Put the fruit and water in a large pan and bring it to the boil for 20 mins, remove the pips at this point. and add the sugar.

Bring the mix back to the boil and boil until it will set when tested.

Remove from heat. Bottle.

enjoy, and good luck, jam making is a joy!

from a google search on jam setting tests (I am lazy :o)

Jam “set” or “setting point”:

Getting the right set can be tricky. I have tried using a jam thermometer but find it easier to use the following method. Before you start to make the jam, put a couple of plates in the fridge so that the warm jam can be drizzled onto a cold plate (when we make jam we often forget to return the plate to the fridge between tests, using two plates means that you have a spare cold plate). Return the plate to the fridge to cool for approx two minutes. It has set when you run your finger through it and leave a crinkly track mark. If after two minutes the cooled jam is too liquid, continue to boil the jam, testing it every few minutes until you have the right set.

Edited by nickgrieve (log)

as an experienced marmalade maker... you might want to slice out most of the white pith.. i have made it with full pith and it came out "REALLY" bitter... but don't eliminate all of the pith cos of the pectin content in it...

quick question....

what is the difference between jam, preserves, marmelade, and compote?

always wondered.

thanks in advance.

cheers --

Well, in australia anyway, marmalade is made with citrus, jam is made with non-citrus and preserve covers pretty much anything in a jar that won't go off quick. I can't comment on compote.

"Alternatively, marry a good man or woman, have plenty of children, and train them to do it while you drink a glass of wine and grow a moustache." -Moby Pomerance

'compote" according to the food lover's companion.. it is a chilled dish of fresh or dried fruit that has been slow cooked in a syrup.which also may contain liquer or liquor and sometimes spices.slow cooking is important to maintain shape

You need pectin (enough in the orange), acid (some lemon juice) and the right sugar concentration (60% by weight) for the marmalade to set.

You had not nearly enough sugar, and no acid

You can reach setting point by boiling which evaporates the water until the sugar concentration is right. You can measure this crudely by temperature the jam or marmalade will set at 221F or even better and easier to remember 222F,

To avoid the marmalade getting too dark you may want to pre-cook the orange rind, The pectin is in the rind and round the pips, so you nay want to add the pips tied in muslin.

Differences between jam, preserves, marmalade, and compote?

Jam (jelly in the US) has in the EU a legal definition, and must be made with at least 60% sugar, of fruit and some other exceptions like rhubarb.

Jelly (in EU and UK) is clear, without bits of fruit in it

Preserves is a more general term, and include other things like chutney, fruit butters, fruit cheese, fruit curd, etc

Marmalade was originally quince, but now usually bitter Seville orange, but can with qualification apply to other citrus fruit (e.g lime marmalade), and even by extension to Onion marmalade

Compote is stewed fruit, not set

The EU legal definitions are given in Council Directive 2001/113/EC http://eur-lex.europa.eu/smartapi/cgi/sga_...&model=guichett.