• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mind games at a restaurant

Harry91

Lately i've been pondering the idea that many times a persons expectations when entering a restaurant will greatly their meal. Meaning, if i enter a very highly regarded, nationally known restaurant for dinner, i'm EXPECTING it to be amazing, therefore, once i find the slightest imperfection, knock it as being "okay". Here is an example:

Two family friends recently ate at the French Laundry in California, run by Thomas Keller. They ate on seperate nights. The first, Greg, is a big food buff, has known, read, heard, and yearned about the French Laundry for several years, and was psyched about his meal. After eating, he said the food was "pretty good", though he thought it didn't live up to the hype, everything tasted like butter, and the service was "not what it should have been".

The other friend, Steven, is a complete novice in the food world. He had never even HEARD of the French Laundry before going there, and only had a reservation because his friend (a chef in the Napa area) invited him. He isnt into Haute cuisine, doesnt know who Thomas Keller is, had never had Foie Gras before, and lobster tail to him is the epitomy of luxury. Needless to say, after eating at the French Laundry, he was AMAZED. He said the service was impeccible, the food was the best he's ever had, and the wit and cleverness in each dish was ingenious.

So, does ones previous knowledge of a restaurant change their dining experience?

-Harry

I would agree with you but there are other options as well. When I went to TFL I had read, talked studied hours and hours and was psyched. It exceeded my expectations. But I wanted it to. I am an enernal optimist. I look for the great an excuse little things easier than most. I think years of cooking/bartending/bussing/waiting has instilled that we live in a hostilly indifferent universe and somewtimes stuuf goes wrong. But there wasn't a single thing that was wrong with my meal at TFL.

There are a lot of people who really enjoy knocking down sucessful people. The Inquirer/Star every other hollywood rag is proof enough. I feel sorry for them because they are only happy when they ar3e bitching about something. That seems a waste of time, life is short we should applaud the risk takers and the envelope pushers.

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

There are many things that affect a diner's perception of a meal besides the meal itself. One's attitude, external pressures, personal health, appetite and simple circumstances can all temper one's reaction to a meal. However, a truly great meal will often overcome those circumstances. I have been both let down and amazed at restaurants that I have had great expectations for. It hasn't always been the restaurant's fault when i have felt let down.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

The late Bux once shared with me his insight on this subject. Like Harry described, as one spends more time dining experience begins to influence expectations. There comes a point when we're no longer "surprised" by a truly excellent meal, and like Harry's friend, any tiny variation from our expectations appears as dissappointment.

This is the point Bux fealt you needed to push on, and begin recognizing technique, and other aspects of the dining experience such as service and the decor in the dining room. All these aspects contibute the the overall experience.

It also helps to forget your expectations, and keep your mind open to all experiences. Whether it's French Laundry or your local Pho joint, take each meal as an experience unto itself. Experiences you can't forget (IMO) but expectations you can.

A.

I would agree with you but there are other options as well.  When I went to TFL I had read, talked studied hours and hours and was psyched.  It exceeded my expectations.  But I wanted it to.  I am an enernal optimist.  I look for the great an excuse little things easier than most.  I think years of cooking/bartending/bussing/waiting has instilled that we live in a hostilly indifferent universe and somewtimes stuuf goes wrong.  But there wasn't a single thing that was wrong with my meal at TFL.

I couldn't have said it better. My meal at TFL was sublime for many reasons, but I will admit that I would have not easily allowed it to be otherwise. I had looked forward to it for years and I wanted it to be astounding. No small hiccups (not that I noticed any, but I was pretty much floating six inches from the ground the whole night) were going to take away from the deep pleasure I derived from that meal.

I'm by no means a pro at this generally, but when I eat good food (TFL or Big Wong, as long as it's good) I tend to feel incredibly present and find great joy in the experience. I want to be that passionate when I'm 90. I want a meal like TFL to bring me heaps of pleasure and I don't want it to ever get old for me. If it ever no longer makes me that happy, I'm done.

It is all in expectations and experience. Friend 1 appears to be the type who eats in fancy restaurants often, while Friend 2 does not. 1 has certain expectations for great food and great service based on experience that Friend 2 doesn't have.