• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Paella at Fenouil/Portland, Oregon

We had a very nice lunch at Fenouil last summer and I am considering going here for dinner when we are in Portland soon. Has anyone had this dish here and is it good? We are also consideirng clarklewis, any recent experience here?

We have been to several great places in Portland, our latest great mea was at Olea in the Pearl District. Ten 01 and Carlyle are also possibilities for dinner as we have only had lunch at these places. Thanks! :)

We had a very nice lunch at Fenouil last summer and I am considering going here for dinner when we are in Portland soon.

I'm shocked to hear that Fenouil serves Paella! I've got to check out their menu again as I thought they focused on French/NW dishes, not Spanish. I *really* must be out of the loop!

Cat

cat lancaster

catchi@ix.netcom.com

Portland, OR

Having worked in Fenouil, I can without a doubt say that no matter what they serve there, it will be good. In regards to the Spanish only doing the whole paella thing. Its actually a mediterranean dish that is more Catalan than anything else and Catalan people can be found from the south of Spain to the South of France and all of Andorra.

As far as where the best place to have dinner , I would go for Olea hands-down...It is the only restaurant in Portland where you would be hard pressed to have the same thing twice since they change the menu so often (except for the fish in salt crust and the lobster pie). And everything I have ever had there is both delicious and inspired...buts that's just me.

I am a Spaniard and the food I have had in Portland that claims to be authentic Tapas has been consistently dissapointing and terribly overpriced...but like I said that just me...

Thanks for that great info, my son just spent a couple of weeks in Spain, one in Barcelona and one in Madrid before spending two weeks in France (Paris and Nice.) We had a very nice dinner at Olea last month, one of our favorites in Portland now. We'll have 3 weeks on the Oregon Coast, so we will be in Portland quite frequently to try new places and old favorites. :)

After an amazing lunch at King Estate Winery, we ended up at Bluehour for dinner. I started with the Tomato & Fennell soup which was very good with chunks of tomato in it. Our server was very friendly, I had an OpenTable dining cheque that I used here, $20 off of our bill which was nice. My husband had the Endive and Apricot Salad which was very unique in presentation and very good, I have photos of our dinner in my gallery here. I had the Gnocchi with Black Truffles, just as good as I remembered it to be a couple of years ago. Yummy! We shared a Black Currant and Chocolate Mousse pudding for dessert which was rich and very, very good. Love Bluehour, it was a great dinner before heading over to the beach cottage in Seaside where are spending a few weeks. :cool: