• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sultan Gyro

Curlz

MJP probably should have started this topic, but having just read Larryc's blog post about the Munchmobile's Middle Eastern trip, and knowing it's going to be in tomorrow's paper, here's where you can report in if you go to Sultan. Meanwhile, I may need to get lunch or dinner there today. Thanks for the tip, guys!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I took my wife to Sultan's today for lunch.

Lots of Munchmobile postings all over....When I walked in, the guys working there looked at me like they recognized me but couldn't place from where.

My wife asked them if the article has been good for business; they said yes it's been great with lots of people calling for directions and coming by. They then asked if we had read the whole article, at which point I pointed to my picture and said "that's me!" :biggrin: Felt like a big muckity-muck!

We both loved our gyros, kofta kebabs, and zucchini patties. Can't wait to come back with the kids!

Last Friday, they were giving out free copies of the Ledger to all their customers. :-D

I'm glad they're doing good business! They deserve it. I wish I was there earlier on opening day, I could have been their first customer, but alas, I was only the 2nd.

I do have to admit a very vested interest in them doing well; since they're open late and are just catty-corner to me, it's perfect for when you need some solid food in your system for whatever questionable reason. :-)

My roommate had the chicken kebab a day or so ago and said it was moist beyond belief. That's my next target from them.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

I don't own any restaurant; I just want them to stay open so I always have a place for a really good gyro within walking distance! :-D

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

307 Ridge Road

Lyndhurst

201-728-9542

www.sultangyro.com

Not that I have the menu, or anything... :rolleyes:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I picked up some take out chicken kabob and eggplant salad here last night. Called before to order, and they said it would only take 5 minutes, so we just stopped in. No, it will take 15 minutes, the person who picked up the phone was wrong, and he already hung up before they could correct him. Sorry. And with that, he walks away. I think it was the owner, and he was kind of rude. Okay...we can wait. The chicken was okay, the rice was overcooked, the salad was not really a salad, just a little iceberg lettuce/onion/cabbage, no sauce. The eggplant salad had the right taste, it just lacked the right consistancy, as if watered down. The pita was store bought, micowaved and not edible. I am spoiled by the Greek restaurant in Rutherford, Greek Town Gyros. There is just no comparison. Greek town has the kabobs, with a choice of rice/lemon potato, a big greek salad, tasty pita warmed on the grill, and the yogurt sauce. It is a little more expensive, and completely worth it. Sorry guys, I just don't see the charm of this place.

Akasya is very good as well, but to me, their doner isn't as juicy or well-spiced as Sultan. They're a little bigger, but not worth it IMHO.

jw: I haven't had the rice or the salads, so I couldn't complain, nor the chicken, but trust me: despite the pita being store-bought (To me, it's all about the doner, the pita's just a vehicle) the doner's really the best criteria to judge Sultan.

the doner's really the best criteria to judge Sultan.

I know that some restaurants do some things better than others, and I am sure their doner is very good. However, imo, don't sell things that you don't do well. Especially when you have such a limited menu. Do it all well, as the Greek Gyro does.

Well, I'd say give them time, and most importantly, give them feedback. They're new (I'm not sure how old Greek Gyro is) and I don't know about their owners' and chefs' experience thus far. Drop a comment card or E-mail to them and let them know; that way, you can at least say "Hey, I told them I didn't like it, now the ball's in their court."

I've only had decent chicken doner/shawarma/various kebab once or twice so far. I will say that Akasya down the street does the best chicken locally (Tabboule does a better chicken shawerma, but it's a bit drier) and I haven't had Sultan's yet. All the more excuse to try it. :-D